The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

It will be very interesting to see how things shake out.

Scholarship & talked about Players

Mikale Wilbon RS SR

Devine Ozigbo - True Senior

Wyatt Mazour - RS JR

Tre Bryant- True Junior

Greg Bell - True Junior

Jaylin Bradley - True Sophomore

Fullback Ben Miles - RS FR

Maurice Washington - True Freshman

I could see Tre Bryant redshirting this season to fully rehabilitate.

I could see Devine Ozigbo transferring after spring ball (he would be able to use his redshirt to sit out for a year)

I'm interested to see how the staff can use Mazour, as he has always been raved about as a player who can shake a guy.

Greg Bell is a 3 for 2 guy, but barring injury I can't see a way he would redshirt.

Bradley and Washington feel like they are going to be a little bit interchangeable so I don't see redshirts for either of them.

That would leave us with Wilbon, Bell, Bradley and Washington getting the bulk of the snaps with plenty of handoffs going to Spielman and Miles Jones as well. Should be very interesting to see how this all shakes outs. It feels like we have multiple options for multiple roles. Will be interesting if Mazour finds a niche or if Ben Miles finds a role. They have already said they will not be using a true Fullback.

• Plus1 1

Is Ozigbo being written off because he is not a 'speedy' back, or because they believe he just isn't as talented as the other backs?

Oregon's spread offense has used bigger backs as the primary back in the past...

Jonathan Stewart wasn't exactly a burner (although, very quick)

LeGarette Blount was pegged to be the workhorse until he did what he did.

Royce Freeman was a featured back while Helfrich & Frost were running the Offense.

If Ozigbo has something to offer (which I believe he does) don't expect him to ride pine just because he isn't fast, shifty, flashy, etc.

Frost's offense may utilize speed as it's primary asset; but I'm sure he knows the value of POWER, and power-backs.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Is Ozigbo being written off because he is not a 'speedy' back, or because they believe he just isn't as talented as the other backs?

Oregon's spread offense has used bigger backs as the primary back in the past...

Royce Freeman was a featured back while Helfrich & Frost were running the Offense.

If Ozigbo has something to offer (which I believe he does) don't expect him to ride pine just because he isn't fast, shifty, flashy, etc.

Frost's offense may utilize speed as it's primary asset; but I'm sure he knows the value of POWER, and power-backs.

Yeah Frost's 'power back' last year got hurt early in the year with a season ending injury. Lots of different looks and touches in the backfield.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

I actually agree, I just don’t think he is going to be happy with a modest role. Which is why I see a transfer possibility. Could be way off. I just don’t know how we could feature all of those guys. 

Wilbon is the shifty veteran.

Bryant is probably the best but oft-injury.

Bradley showed some life and might be a really good fit for Frosts O.

Ozigbo to me fits the same role as Oz but better.

Washington is absolutely loved by new staff and will get opportunities if he is as good as predicted.

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Way too early depth chart predictions: 

1. Bell

2. Washington

3. Wilbon

4. Bradley

5. Bryant

6. Ozigbo

7. Mazour

Sad Panda: Miles

Slide Wilbon and Bradley down. Move Ozigbo up to third. He has way too much production to be 6th. Tre would slide up to 1 if he's healthy. Sorry Cdog, that was just me thinking out loud. Your list could be right. 

Edited by Vince R.

To me, this is the most intriguing position battle. The talent is at an all time high (recent years). Many guys do different things. Who knows what happens when these guys get through conditioning. One thing is for sure, and thats that a lot of guys will play. 

Edited by Vince R.

I hope the FB spot is not forgotten in Frost's offense and Miles can be a very good one.   Ozigbo remains our best RB amongst the returning guys in my view and has been for three years in my opinion.   No, he is not exceptional in speed but his quickness is not much below the others and he offers a lot more power and pile pushing ability.  Again, players have to learn the offense and play their roles as ball carriers, blockers, receivers, etc.   But pound for pound, I still choose Ozigbo.  His experience will count for quite a bit I would think when it comes to fitting in to the scheme, etc.   I am assuming that all the RBs in the new strength and conditioning work hard and push themselves.  There will be room for several guys to get their share of carries and with the hurry up offense, frequent substitutions for fatigue, formations, down and distance will also come into play.   I would be surprised if we don't redshirt several of the new recruits although hopefully one will become a future star and show great promise off the bat.  

I have not seen the 40 times on any of them I don't believe so it is really hard to guage but at this point I remain unconvinced that we have the game breaker (4.35) type speed.   We need guys who can turn the corner and out run the vast majority of the defenders they will face.   In about 75% of the Osborne years and most Solich years, we had true burners who coud go the distance on any given play with a couple great blocks.   It's been awhile but if a smaller size guys is quick but not electric fast, then power has to carry extra weight in the decision too.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Slide Wilbon and Bradley down. Move Ozigbo up to third. He has way too much production to be 6th. Tre would slide up to 1 if he's healthy. Sorry Cdog, that was just me thinking out loud. Your list could be right. 

I think Tre would be 1 or 2 if healthy, but I don't know if he ever really will be. 

Ozigbo has a lot of talent, but I don't know how effective he can be in this offense. Certainly looking forward to seeing him in it, though. 

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I hope the FB spot is not forgotten in Frost's offense and Miles can be a very good one.   Ozigbo remains our best RB amongst the returning guys in my view and has been for three years in my opinion.   No, he is not exceptional in speed but his quickness is not much below the others and he offers a lot more power and pile pushing ability.  Again, players have to learn the offense and play their roles as ball carriers, blockers, receivers, etc.   But pound for pound, I still choose Ozigbo.  His experience will count for quite a bit I would think when it comes to fitting in to the scheme, etc.   I am assuming that all the RBs in the new strength and conditioning work hard and push themselves.  There will be room for several guys to get their share of carries and with the hurry up offense, frequent substitutions for fatigue, formations, down and distance will also come into play.   I would be surprised if we don't redshirt several of the new recruits although hopefully one will become a future star and show great promise off the bat.  

I have not seen the 40 times on any of them I don't believe so it is really hard to guage but at this point I remain unconvinced that we have the game breaker (4.35) type speed.   We need guys who can turn the corner and out run the vast majority of the defenders they will face.   In about 75% of the Osborne years and most Solich years, we had true burners who coud go the distance on any given play with a couple great blocks.   It's been awhile but if a smaller size guys is quick but not electric fast, then power has to carry extra weight in the decision too.

Sorry to break it to you, but multiple coaches last week said not to hold your breath in terms of much use of a FB in this offense. 

• Plus1 1