The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

3 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

That's quite the statement about talent.   In 2011 we had burkhead, ameer,  braylon heard, and Aaron green.   That's 4 top ten rated high school backs and Ameer all at the same time.  

Well Burkhead was not rated that high but I think he ended up developing into it. Braylon was a bust for multiple reasons. Aaron was also a bust until he went to TCU. I would still say he was misevaluated. Tre Bryant is better than both Aaron and Braylon, and I hope somehow he can heal those knees. Maurice is the best prospect Nebraska has had in a decade at RB. Greg Bell is the #1 JUCO RB recruit and looks good on film. Devine has had a better career than Braylon. Miles Jones is an excellent prospect for so many reasons. I stick by my statement.

Edited by Vince R.

1 hour ago, Crazyhole said:

It's reminiscent of going from Derek Brown to Calvin Jones to Lawrence Phillips to ahman green, or hipp-redwine-Craig-Rozier-dubose-Jones-clark in the late 70s into the 80s.  

Helu was so vastly underrated when he was here it's a shame, and it's not even a matter of him getting no respect, I just think he's in the same conversation as green, Phillips, and rozier when it comes to the best in our history. 

It would have been really insane if Bo hadn't kicked off Castille. He is the "what could have been".

4 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Well Burkhead was not rated that high but I think he ended up developing into it. Braylon was a bust for multiple reasons. Aaron was also a bust until he went to TCU. I would still say he was misevaluated. Tre Bryant is better than both Aaron and Braylon, and I hope somehow he can heal those knees. Maurice is the best prospect Nebraska has had in a decade at RB. Greg Bell is the #1 JUCO RB recruit and looks good on film. Devine has had a better career than Braylon. Miles Jones is an excellent prospect for so many reasons. I stick by my statement.

Burkhead was rated #9 in the country by 24/7.  Braylon was caught in a series of unfortunate decisions and circumstances that led to him being a non contributor at any level, but he was probably as talented or moreso than green and Ameer.  Green was homesick so he went back to Texas.  

I'm not diminishing the potential of the current roster  but outside of Washington I don't think any if these guys should be considered anywhere near the level of ameer or burkhead.   Bryant has had 1 good game, Wilbon and ozigbo had complete seasons that included highlight reels that would be a combined 45 seconds long.   The remaining guys have zero carries as huskers and could just as easily be another generation of braylon heard type guys.  

Again, they look good on paper but putting them above ameer and rex is a stretch.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Burkhead was rated #9 in the country by 24/7.  Braylon was caught in a series of unfortunate decisions and circumstances that led to him being a non contributor at any level, but he was probably as talented or moreso than green and Ameer.  Green was homesick so he went back to Texas.  

I'm not diminishing the potential of the current roster  but outside of Washington I don't think any if these guys should be considered anywhere near the level of ameer or burkhead.   Bryant has had 1 good game, Wilbon and ozigbo had complete seasons that included highlight reels that would be a combined 45 seconds long.   The remaining guys have zero carries as huskers and could just as easily be another generation of braylon heard type guys.  

Again, they look good on paper but putting them above ameer and rex is a stretch.  

Yeah I see what you're saying. I just feel that this room is deeper than it has been in a long time. I have full confidence that the top 4 running backs next year will play well. If that is the case, I'd say that it would prove to be the most overall talented RB room we have had in a long time. Ameer and Rex have had great careers and you're right. Maybe it's because I don't count Aaron and Braylon's career here. I also felt that the drop off was tremendous after Rex and Ameer. 

50 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Yeah I see what you're saying. I just feel that this room is deeper than it has been in a long time. I have full confidence that the top 4 running backs next year will play well. If that is the case, I'd say that it would prove to be the most overall talented RB room we have had in a long time. Ameer and Rex have had great careers and you're right. Maybe it's because I don't count Aaron and Braylon's career here. I also felt that the drop off was tremendous after Rex and Ameer. 

Tremendous is an understatement.  I still don't understand how our running back recruiting was as good as it was for about a decade and then all of a sudden we don't have depth or any seriously talented players on the roster at all.   Stevenson looked to be the part but that ended up being a crapshow.   Hopefully what we have moving forward is more reminiscent of 2007-2012 and less like 2013-2017.  

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Burkhead was a 5.8, 9th ranked RB in '08. Heard was a 5.9, 5th ranked RB in '09 and Green was a 5.9, 8th ranked RB in '10. It's insane that only one of them panned out here. 

7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

We transitioned from Helu to Burkhead to Ameer. That's Classic-Era Nebraska level. I'd argue that was the best 3-back transition in school history. 

There are several cases that are arguably better. Just off the top of my head I would say Calvin Jones, LP, Green was better.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

There are several cases that are arguably better. Just off the top of my head I would say Calvin Jones, LP, Green was better.

I stated above that those three would probably be the only ones better. Helu, Burkhead and Ameer are all top 10 rushers in school history. 

Any odds Tre Bryant becomes a medical hardship? 

If healthy Bryant (1), Bell (2), Mazour (3), take your pick after that. 

Granted it was just a spring game, but Frost is going to get ball carriers in plus situations for running in the open field, Mazour has some wheels and runs hard. If a new staff and new philosophy pushes Bradley/Wilbon/Ziggy to pick their game up, then I see Wilbon reaping the biggest reward of those three and trajecting himself into significant carries.

9 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I stated above that those three would probably be the only ones better. Helu, Burkhead and Ameer are all top 10 rushers in school history. 

I think it is debatable, those 3 are definitely in the discussion, but career total rushing yards doesn’t tell the whole story IMO as different eras are being compared. Regardless I agree that Helu to Rex to Ameer was a lot of fun to watch and a rare event.

1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

I think it is debatable, those 3 are definitely in the discussion, but career total rushing yards doesn’t tell the whole story IMO as different eras are being compared. Regardless I agree that Helu to Rex to Ameer was a lot of fun to watch and a rare event.

You're right; the numbers would look vastly different if Jones and Green had stayed for their senior years and if LP hadn't done what he did. 

5 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

Any odds Tre Bryant becomes a medical hardship? 

If healthy Bryant (1), Bell (2), Mazour (3), take your pick after that. 

Granted it was just a spring game, but Frost is going to get ball carriers in plus situations for running in the open field, Mazour has some wheels and runs hard. If a new staff and new philosophy pushes Bradley/Wilbon/Ziggy to pick their game up, then I see Wilbon reaping the biggest reward of those three and trajecting himself into significant carries.

If you're talking about the Spring Game, sure. 

Come September, if Mazour is above Washington, Wilbon and Ozigbo (and potentially Miles Jones), we are in trouble. 

On February 12, 2018 at 8:25 PM, caveman99 said:

Greg Bell??? You don’t recruit a top JUCO back for him to sit the pine.

You are correct about recruiting a JUCO to not sit the pine.  Question is.....  how good is he?  Frost and Co. haven't even seen Wilbon, Ozigbo, Bryant other than film.  I would venture to guess that 1 of those 3 would be a top ranked JUCO back if they went that route.  Who is to say that those 3 aren't better than Bell.  

If Frost and Co. are saying they will play the "best" guy regardless of age, then it seems to me that every guy will get a fair shake, regardless of how and when they were recruited.

• Plus1 1