The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

Rivals: 10 Impact True Freshmen

Maurice Washington – Nebraska

Recruiting: Washington’s recruiting process was slow to take off, but a record-setting performance at the Under Armour All-American Game quickly changed everything. Offers from Nebraska and Arizona State came in, but it was the Huskers who pushed the hardest and got a commitment from Washington on National Signing Day.

Situation: Initially, there was a chance that Washington would have to redshirt the season due to academics, but once that was cleared up this summer he has arrived in Lincoln and impressed. His impressive performance, on top of the sudden retirement of running back Tre Bryant, could lead to an explosive season for the true freshman.

Farrell’s take: Remember Washington’s coming out party at the Under Armour Game? We weren’t sure if it was a fluke or if he was becoming a superstar, so we went conservatively on his ranking. Now he has a chance to get some serious time in the backfield this year. He had good size and excellent ability in space out of high school.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, after we got done by couple TDS, we payed with nothing to lose. So, we were willing to be more creative and take more risks on offense. In the since half, we got more nervous. Instead of playing to win, we played not to lose,which never works out well. I think the young coaches will get it figured out in the long run. But, always remember that fortune favors the bold. Never get timid which is a life lesson. 

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I guess I also thought this about Bell.  Barring an unknown injury, I was obviously misinformed.

Bell is an eel that can squeeze through small spaces.  Eels are quick but not fast- unless they are in JUCO, then they are both.  But seriously, he will probably look a little faster than what we saw today once he gets used to seeing the holes quicker and has one extra step on the defenders before they start pursuing him.  We can hope anyway.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:22 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

I guess I also thought this about Bell.  Barring an unknown injury, I was obviously misinformed.

Bell actually is extremely fast, according to Frost. But he said Bell felt tight because of first-game jitters, which slowed him down a little. He apparently is capable of running fast enough to have beaten those Buff’s DBs.  Also his nerves perhaps contributed to that early fumble. Again, it’s a darn shame N couldn’t play the Akron game. 

24 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Bell actually is extremely fast, according to Frost. But he said Bell felt tight because of first-game jitters, which slowed him down a little. He apparently is capable of running fast enough to have beaten those Buff’s DBs.  Also his nerves perhaps contributed to that early fumble. Again, it’s a darn shame N couldn’t play the Akron game. 

clearly those defenders were faster than Bell............on that play.

20 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

clearly those defenders were faster than Bell............on that play.

On that play and one other they were fasters. Don’t disagree. I’m just going by what Frost said that Bell can run a little faster. Hopefully we will see that as he gets looser during this season. 

I'm not convinced that it was a 'tightness' concern for Bell just yet, but it's possible. Watching those two big run plays live, it looked like Bell just didn't have that extra speed to break away from the DB's. That said, I did hear yesterday that Bell missed some practices and maybe a scrimmage or two this fall after getting dinged up, so he may just need a little more time to get comfortable with game speed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm not convinced that it was a 'tightness' concern for Bell just yet, but it's possible. Watching those two big run plays live, it looked like Bell just didn't have that extra speed to break away from the DB's. That said, I did hear yesterday that Bell missed some practices and maybe a scrimmage or two this fall after getting dinged up, so he may just need a little more time to get comfortable with game speed.

Yeah, I don't think so either.  I'd have to go back and see how Frost worded it.  I can see being "tight" and not cutting/accelerating like he should have.  But not running straight-line at top speed.

I do think the Colorado defender had a bit of an angle on him on the first run.  But the second run I really thought he was gone.  I just don't think he's as fast as we hoped he would be.

• Plus1 2
On 8/18/2018 at 7:56 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

Never insinuate helu is better than LP or AG again

It's a Chicken/Egg argument; LP and AG were insanely talented, but how much were they helped by the incredible offensive lines they ran behind? And how would that O-line affect guys like Helu or Burkhead?