The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

6 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Unless you have Chris Angel mindfreak in the backfield, what do you want the guy to do?  Who's going to make a play when they are getting hit in the backfield?  It's been the classic counter argument for Ozigbo's strong games....   Yeah, he did good today, but what about ____________________________________?  How many times can you possibly do that?

I've been torched for 3 years every time I say he's the most complete back on the roster. 

He's too slow, he's out there because this guy is hurt, he can't cut, he gets caught from behind, he'll be buried on roster when we have depth, he fumbles, he can't block.  I will still stand behind my statement from years ago that he hits the LOS as hard and as fast as any back the last 3 years.  His legs don't stop and he has a great forward lean.  It appears as though the conditioning has helped him break away, but to be fair the entire team has benefited from improved conditioning.  Riley absolutely wasted 2 years (sophomore & jr seasons) of this kids career and I'm glad his ability is finally being realized.

Frost has hitched his wagon to this kid and people still act like it's some kind of fluke.  It'll be good when he graduates so I won't get pissed about Ozigbo threads anymore.

Why isn't Chris Angel on any NFL rosters?

12 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Riley absolutely wasted 2 years (sophomore & jr seasons) of this kids career and I'm glad his ability is finally being realized.

This. Judging any RB in Langsdorf’s offense was a fools errand. 

Ozigbo lost some bad weight he put on when he was pretty much just a short yardage back. He was always agile and athletic for his size. Put Any RB in a competent run scheme over Langs’ ‘zone blocking inside run’ 20 times a game and anybody will look faster.

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean, he's just physically faster this year, right?

It's not like he never hit open field before. 

It's not my imagination is it? The dude has a new set of wheels.

Yeah, I definitely think he's faster.  He's probably had more chance to get into the open this year as well but he's doing a lot more with it.

• Plus1 1

On 10/26/2018 at 2:59 PM, BlitzFirst said:

No offense meant here, but he has been too slow in years previous.

He put in the effort and time to improve his game and got quicker. 

In the past few years he has NOT been the most complete back in the backfield because of that lack of top end speed.  

I'm just glad he stuck it out and continues to improve as the year goes on.

I think you're spot on. Ozigbo suffered from poor play around him, sure, but he had plenty of his own struggles. His success is a combination of really taking ownership of things he can control while also being in the presence of better scheme/coaching.

I also know Riley/Langsdorf are fun punching bags, but Zig wasn't an innocent victim. He's made a lot of improvement to get where he is today.

Ozigbo is having a great season and is reminding me a lot of Roy Helu.  I can't definitely see him playing in the NFL.  With that said, our running back room may be a bit rough next year.  We will have Washington and Jones but could use a power back to replace Ozigbo.  I know we have 2 new commits coming in but the bigger of those 2 backs has been injured most of this year.  I am wondering if we will try to get another JUCO back to pair up with Washington.

16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Ozigbo is having a great season and is reminding me a lot of Roy Helu.  I can't definitely see him playing in the NFL.  With that said, our running back room may be a bit rough next year.  We will have Washington and Jones but could use a power back to replace Ozigbo.  I know we have 2 new commits coming in but the bigger of those 2 backs has been injured most of this year.  I am wondering if we will try to get another JUCO back to pair up with Washington.

Someone like Juco RB Dedrick Mills who is also currently committed to the Huskers perhaps? 

• Plus1 4

I've always been an Ozigbo fan and felt he should have been a starter every year.   He is definately getting better and his confidence is probably more improved than his speed, etc.   I think his speed has been under estimated by most watchers.  I think it has really helped that our play calling and passing game has improved so much.  It would be really hard  for defenses to predict whether we are running or throwing and with so many of our plays featuring both run and pass options, I am not sure Frost even knows if we'll be running or throwing sometimes.   As Martinez gets better and better and his fellow skill guys learn to read and execute, the offense will just get even better.   Ozigbo has some NFL potential but he'll be a late rounder and hope actually gets a fair shot.  He's probably a 4.55 guy but his power and pile pushing and run finishing are his best features.  Those add a yard per carry.   Now he's shown he can take it 30 or 40 if the play is there so who knows.  He is tough and carries the needed pounds.  I think NFL backs need to be 220 or more to last.   He is a perfect size for NU and has good hands and block pretty well.