The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

On 11/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Mazour is going to have to fill Ozigbo's shoes in my view.   i think he can do so if given the chance.  Not sure Mills is big enough.   

I don't know why I even bother pointing this out, but, Mazour is listed at 5'9", 195 lbs. Zig was/is 6'0" and 220 lbs. Mills is 5'11" and in the 220 lbs. range. If anybody is going to fill Zig's shoes, it's not Mazour.

On 11/10/2018 at 5:46 PM, LumberJackSker said:

He's a solid special teams guy who can get a few catches or carries in garbage time. Credit to him for earning a scholarship and beating out a guy like wilbon for playing Time.

Agreed. Mazour has yet to show he's the kind of guy you want in your three deep rotation at RB. In my opinion, he played last year out of necessity more than anything else due to the loss of Bryant and Bell, and MW battling a couple of little injury issues here or there.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:50 AM, Cdog923 said:

Ozigbo will have a role, but he won't be a featured back, nor will he get as many carries as Bell or Bryant, barring injury. 

shrug-face.jpg

Sorry, just reading back through this thread.  It's crazy how things shook out from the original perceptions of Ozigbo being very limited, Bell being brought in to change EVERYTHING up, Bryan being fully healed etc etc.

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't know why I even bother pointing this out, but, Mazour is listed at 5'9", 195 lbs. Zig was/is 6'0" and 220 lbs. Mills is 5'11" and in the 220 lbs. range. If anybody is going to fill Zig's shoes, it's not Mazour.

Agreed. Mazour has yet to show he's the kind of guy you want in your three deep rotation at RB. In my opinion, he played last year out of necessity more than anything else due to the loss of Bryant and Bell, and MW battling a couple of little injury issues here or there.

On your 2nd paragraph...I think we may see that again this season. It really depends on if Bradley can emerge, but we don't have a ton of bodies in the RB room. I do see Mazour getting some snaps if anyone gets dinged up.

34 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

On your 2nd paragraph...I think we may see that again this season. It really depends on if Bradley can emerge, but we don't have a ton of bodies in the RB room. I do see Mazour getting some snaps if anyone gets dinged up.

I agree. I'm doubtful on Bradley - it doesn't look like he had any carries last year at all and he looked sort of big/slow in the spring game. Not really sure what's going on there.

We'll have Mills and Washington, Miles Jones is a Rfr., Ronald Thompkins and I think they're looking at another back to finish out this cycle. Wandale Robinson could also be a part of the rushing attack to some degree. So, it seems like there will be a fair number of bodies, but not a lot of quality depth. Mills has some D1 experience from his freshman year and so does Washington but, otherwise, there isn't a lot of experience there.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Redux said:

shrug-face.jpg

Sorry, just reading back through this thread.  It's crazy how things shook out from the original perceptions of Ozigbo being very limited, Bell being brought in to change EVERYTHING up, Bryan being fully healed etc etc.

I've already eaten my crow: 

54 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Not sure why experience is so highly rated - Clemson did well with some guys that have 0 experience.

Experience is often relative to the other talent and competition. There's a fair difference between a place like Clemson, who checks all the boxes in recruiting/culture/competition/coaching, versus other schools (like Nebraska) that are trying to get all those elements on the same page.

Clemson could likely have a guy with zero experience start because he either earned it against stiff competition or is just so talented they can't ignore him. I don't know if we can say Nebraska has that luxury. Well, I guess I will say it - Nebraska doesn't have that luxury. :lol:

45 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Not sure why experience is so highly rated - Clemson did well with some guys that have 0 experience.

They returned every RB they had from 2017 to 2018 (minus the RB that passed away :( ).  Including their top 2 rushers that both averaged over 6 yards per carry with over 100 attempts and 5th year senior.  How did they have 0 experience?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Experience is often relative to the other talent and competition. There's a fair difference between a place like Clemson, who checks all the boxes in recruiting/culture/competition/coaching, versus other schools (like Nebraska) that are trying to get all those elements on the same page.

Clemson could likely have a guy with zero experience start because he either earned it against stiff competition or is just so talented they can't ignore him. I don't know if we can say Nebraska has that luxury. Well, I guess I will say it - Nebraska doesn't have that luxury. :lol:

It's all comparative if Clemson has a 4* Sp and a 5* Fr comes in and takes the job how is that different then if NU has a 3* Sp and a 4* Fr comes in and takes the job?