The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Our New Jersey speed missile can play boys and girls....I think hes the most underrated recruit in this class

This. 

4 hours ago, Undone said:

...then we probably aren't going to be nearly as good as we thought on offense this season.

I think you'll be surprised.  Johnson has the potential to be Mo or better, and I think Thompkins (if healthy) can be at 200 lb by fall and be the change of pace guy.  Sure they don't have experience,  but it's not like Mo and Mills are multiple year starters we need to replace. 

14 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Our New Jersey speed missile can play boys and girls....I think hes the most underrated recruit in this class

I will add Thompkins to the underrated status also.  Before his first knee injury,  he was hearing from LSU, Bama and Georgia along with others.  They backed off at first but started talking to him again when his season started last year.   

When he committed to us, SEC fans were glad because they didn't want to face him in the coming years.   That is how highly he was thought of before his second knee injury.  

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I will add Thompkins to the underrated status also.  Before his first knee injury,  he was hearing from LSU, Bama and Georgia along with others.  They backed off at first but started talking to him again when his season started last year.   

When he committed to us, SEC fans were glad because they didn't want to face him in the coming years.   That is how highly he was thought of before his second knee injury.  

Thompkins is going to be great, I just don't see him being ready for game reps until late in the year because of his injury

I see the running back room as having the same trajectory as the QB room - but being just 1 year behind. Last year there were a lot of question marks with depth in the QB room, now the QB room depth looks solid. This upcoming year there are a lot of depth question marks with the RB room. The following year (2020) I foresee the RB depth being solid. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I see the running back room as having the same trajectory as the QB room - but being just 1 year behind. Last year there were a lot of question marks with depth in the QB room, now the QB room depth looks solid. This upcoming year there are a lot of depth question marks with the RB room. The following year (2020) I foresee the RB depth being solid. 

True, but the RB room is only that way because of crap outside the program's control.

And....it's possible it all works out and we have good depth at the position this year.

17 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

It's really hard for me to watch Johnson's tape and not picture him as the Adrian Killins-ish type in the offense.  Sure, you have to adjust a bit because the talent is better in the Big Ten vs. the AAC but...damn...dude can just fly.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't understate how big this is. Plenty of time to get in here and learn the system. He should be competing for #1. He hasn't proven anything here yet so I'm not giving him the job, but his presence should raise the competition. This will make all of our backs better.

• Plus1 1