The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

On 8/9/2019 at 7:38 AM, brophog said:

There is a similarity in Georgia Tech and Nebraska in that a power back and speed back can be on the field at the same time. They did it with the flexbone, Nebraska with the R receiver. A guy like Robinson can’t be covered with a LB, but he can motion into the box and require one at any time. Hopefully, the tight ends develop to the point they can move around and become difficulties, too. All of a sudden a defense has to make personnel decisions for all of these hybrids and Mills starts to feel like an inevitability and the defense’s response opens up big plays.

So maybe he’s only getting 10, but his ability to demand extra defenders means someone else gets 50. 

I cannot wait to see people's reactions as both Husker fans and across the country when Frost gets to use all of his toys in this offense.  I don't know if it all comes together this season or next, but man is it going to be special.  Small hybrid guys that don't fit in other offenses that want a chance at the NFL will be beating down his door.  It is going to be awesome.

20 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Frost said Washington is now a step faster. One of the coaches said he has a fast metabolism, which keeps him from gaining more weight. Assuming he plays, he may remain at 190 his whole time here. 

I think Mo played last year at 170-175 (despite what was listed on the roster) so if he is able to be in the 185-190 range, I think he will be fine. 

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Mo played last year at 170-175 (despite what was listed on the roster) so if he is able to be in the 185-190 range, I think he will be fine. 

He still isn't 190, but if they don't ask him to bang inside all day then that is fine.  He won't hold up if the do.  We have Mills for that, plus the occasional change of pace with smaller guys/Adrian.

10 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'll never understand why people put so much emphasis on this.  How often does a running back really "take it to the house"?  It's a pretty rare play.

If this kid can grind 5-15 yards like a bulldozer, as shown in these videos, he's going to have a huge year.

It is an emphasis bc taking it to the house is a display of top end speed, but if you have that type of speed you can turn 5 yard run into 10-15 yard runs..  It also provides constant stress on a defense.   If you miss a fit against a slower back you can still rally and make a tackle for a manageable gain.  If you miss a fit against a burner it can go for 6.  I remember watching Frost at Oregon and UCF and watching tempo put pressure on defenses to the point where they would misalign.  The next thing you knew the RB was taking it to the house.  

I do like the fact that they are committed to having a bigger body back that can wear on a defense and get tough yards.  

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'll never understand why people put so much emphasis on this. 

The median yards per carry across a wide subset of backs is about 3 yards. It’s the explosive runs that generally differentiate great backs from average ones.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, swmohusker said:

It is an emphasis bc taking it to the house is a display of top end speed, but if you have that type of speed you can turn 5 yard run into 10-15 yard runs..  It also provides constant stress on a defense.   If you miss a fit against a slower back you can still rally and make a tackle for a manageable gain.  If you miss a fit against a burner it can go for 6.  I remember watching Frost at Oregon and UCF and watching tempo put pressure on defenses to the point where they would misalign.  The next thing you knew the RB was taking it to the house.  

I do like the fact that they are committed to having a bigger body back that can wear on a defense and get tough yards.  

It could just as easily be argued that a guy is a home run threat but can't get past the line of scrimmage because he can't break arm tackle.

Is getting 15 carries for 60 yards when you had one break away for 40 better than 6 rushes for 60?  Obviously it all opinions.  Having a grinder tends to bring the defense in and open up play action and misdirection.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other I just hate dismissing someone because they may not go for 60.

6 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It could just as easily be argued that a guy is a home run threat but can't get past the line of scrimmage because he can't break arm tackle.

Is getting 15 carries for 60 yards when you had one break away for 40 better than 6 rushes for 60?  Obviously it all opinions.  Having a grinder tends to bring the defense in and open up play action and misdirection.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other I just hate dismissing someone because they may not go for 60.

One important qualifier in our offense is we use a lot of overloaded formations and/or formations with backside screens isolating safeties. That provides opportunity on weakside runs to bust one, as we can see on many of Ozigbo’s long runs.

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'll never understand why people put so much emphasis on this.

Because an RB's ability to finish the job when he breaks free can be the difference between a touchdown and having to settle for a field goal a few plays later! I'm pretty sure I remember reading about Frost emphasizing that to Ozigbo early last year.

15 minutes ago, Toe said:

Because an RB's ability to finish the job when he breaks free can be the difference between a touchdown and having to settle for a field goal a few plays later! I'm pretty sure I remember reading about Frost emphasizing that to Ozigbo early last year.

I thought Bell would be the main RB last year, but there were carries where he would break into the secondary and not have the extra gear to take it the distance.  That and other issues were why he lost his starting IB job.  Ozigbo, on the other hand, was able take those runs the distance for  TD's (thinking the Minnesota and Illinois games).

• Plus1 1