The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I thought the same but like you did think to myself if he can get in that weight room it would certainly benefit him for sure.

Perfect example of a guy you redshirt and give him four games for experience & continue to build his body in the weight room. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

agree, if he can catch he needs to move to slot receiver, especially if he isn't at 190 or better.

If Ronald Thompkins had proved he could play & Mo was still on the team I would agree. But next year we lose Mills, have a banged up Thompkins (might never play lets be real), & then Scott/Morrison who will either be RS FR/Soph, & whoever we bring in for the 2021 class. I would say let him put on weight and go. 

Yes, his pure speed - reportedly - is his biggest plus and would be great at a receiving spot.  A RB can always be faster but you need adequate or better power first imo.  In 2020, an I back needs to be 200lbs or so minimum for Big Ten level play.  210 + is better and 225 is great.   Rotations with a couple backs works if you can avoid tipping off the defense play-wise.  

7 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

with all the new talent coming in to the RB room, i wonder if some guys will get inpatient?

As in who? Mills will be the starter rotating some with Johnson. Morrison and Scott will probably redshirt unless someone gets hurt. And Thompkins hasn’t been healthy since mostly I think his sophomore year? Brody Belt is a wild card for the third spot. 

It’s why it’s so important to always take at least 1 RB. One injury and one transfer and one graduation and the room shrinks considerably. It’s also a key position where someone who is 3rd or 4th on depth chart to start the season might be relied on at several points in the year.

Thankfully, Held is so damn good. Such an impactful upgrade going from Davis to Held.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

It’s why it’s so important to always take at least 1 RB. One injury and one transfer and one graduation and the room shrinks considerably. It’s also a key position where someone who is 3rd or 4th on depth chart to start the season might be relied on at several points in the year.

Thankfully, Held is so damn good. Such an impactful upgrade going from Davis to Held.

No kidding. The room would probably be the best on the team with a mentally all there Mo. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

Perfect example of a guy you redshirt and give him four games for experience & continue to build his body in the weight room. 

I know Rahmir was very light last year, but I thought the coaches could have used him more, and not worry about preserving his redshirt.  For RB's and WR's, I tend to think that 5th years don't mean to much to those guys, and if you are recruiting well enough, you can replace that productivity with younger players.

• Plus1 1

Redshirt with 4 games playable is not so bad IF the coaches are able to make those 16 qtrs count with meaningful snaps.  I tend to agree that WR, RB, TE, and QB are all spots where game snaps are very helpful.  Some defense as well if you have game outcome settled, win or lose.  

I am not so eager to play rookies in special teams. I know some view it the other way but I value special teams much higher than most. 

26 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Redshirt with 4 games playable is not so bad IF the coaches are able to make those 16 qtrs count with meaningful snaps.  I tend to agree that WR, RB, TE, and QB are all spots where game snaps are very helpful.  Some defense as well if you have game outcome settled, win or lose.  

I am not so eager to play rookies in special teams. I know some view it the other way but I value special teams much higher than most. 

I value special teams highly too, but it's a lot easier to learn your responsibilities for each of them than it is to learn enough of the offense or defense to be trusted. It's hard to make a huge impact early on offense or defense because there's so much to learn - but if we can't get freshman locked in on special teams responsibilities we have a serious coaching problem. Which may be why there has been some turnover. I just don't think freshman on special teams needs to mean they're less reliable, they are not that complicated.

Also wouldn't hate some starters going all Kenny Bell and insisting on playing special teams. He was one hell of a gunner. But anyway, RBs - I like the room a lot, just gotta see who steps up. Way more promising already with 3-5 guys who have the size/health to run the ball unlike just Mills last year. 

58 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I value special teams highly too, but it's a lot easier to learn your responsibilities for each of them than it is to learn enough of the offense or defense to be trusted. It's hard to make a huge impact early on offense or defense because there's so much to learn - but if we can't get freshman locked in on special teams responsibilities we have a serious coaching problem. Which may be why there has been some turnover. I just don't think freshman on special teams needs to mean they're less reliable, they are not that complicated.

Also wouldn't hate some starters going all Kenny Bell and insisting on playing special teams. He was one hell of a gunner. But anyway, RBs - I like the room a lot, just gotta see who steps up. Way more promising already with 3-5 guys who have the size/health to run the ball unlike just Mills last year. 

I generally agree with your thinking but special teams with no experience imo leads to what we’ve seen for couple years.  TD returns agInst us. Poor blocking,  penalties, etc etc.  You can put a few in if exceptional maturity but when we are evenly matched with most opponents talent wise, we cant gamble big plays / miss cues.  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I generally agree with your thinking but special teams with no experience imo leads to what we’ve seen for couple years.  TD returns agInst us. Poor blocking,  penalties, etc etc.  You can put a few in if exceptional maturity but when we are evenly matched with most opponents talent wise, we cant gamble big plays / miss cues.  

You may not like this opinion, but I think the poor special teams coverage has been due to playing too many walk-ons at special teams, in order to preserve redshirts for freshmen.  Yes, there have been guys like Hickman, Henrich, and others who got some PT on special teams in 2019, and somewhat struggled.  But, I think the special teams struggled due to overall speed and athleticism on that unit.

Going forward, NU should be counting on redshirt freshmen and other young guys to contribute on special teams while they are 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart at their normal positions.  I think Frost or Chinander said this week "if young guys aren't cracking that 2-deep, they should be contributing on special teams".  In the 90s, I remember young guys like Grant Wistrom and Mike Rucker first getting noticed before becoming stars as Blackshirts.  That's how it should be for NU under Frost.

EDIT:  Another reason to bring in as many LB's, DB's, RB's, and WR's as the coaches can because they tend to be the best special teams players, as they are the team's best athletes.

• Plus1 1