The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Just my two cents on current talent at RB. Lots of young guys, but Frost has shown at UCF he can mix guys in, but I assume Thompkins or someone else ends up transferring eventually. 

1. Mills (SR)
  2. Morrison (FR)
  3. Scott III (FR)
  4. Johnson (rFR)
  5. Yant (FR)
  6. Thompkins (rFR)
  7. Belt (SO)

It’s a shame because Thompkins pre injury is the most talented of anyone in that room. Let’s hope he stays healthy but one more knee injury and he should probably hang up the cleats. That being said: I hope he kicks a$$. 

Johnson at number 4 seems a bit odd to me. One year of playing + S&C and he will be ready to go. 

Mills

Johnson 

Thompkins if healthy 

Scott III

Morrison

No offense to Brody Belt but thank god he isn’t playing. Too small to be that slow. 

• Plus1 2

I'd be surprised if any position group made it the next 2 years or so without a transfer of some kind - that's just how it is. I just don't know if we'll be able to put them in a specific order after Mills, I think it will be partially a committee, partially playing to matchups, and probably a fair amount of redshirt saving.  Actually, this probably isn't a concern? In theory with the rule, this year just doesn't have to count for anyone who doesn't want it to - so I guess if one of the freshman seizes a role, no need to save games?

I think Rahmir will be much more ready for a larger role, but he and Mills are both somewhat one-dimensional albeit in different ways. If Mills is gassed and we're going run heavy between the tackles, I don't think Johnson is the automatic call just because he might be #2 on the depth chart.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Decked said:

It’s a shame because Thompkins pre injury is the most talented of anyone in that room. Let’s hope he stays healthy but one more knee injury and he should probably hang up the cleats. That being said: I hope he kicks a$$. 

Johnson at number 4 seems a bit odd to me. One year of playing + S&C and he will be ready to go. 

Mills

Johnson 

Thompkins if healthy 

Scott III

Morrison

No offense to Brody Belt but thank god he isn’t playing. Too small to be that slow. 

I am with Big Ern on his ranking as of this moment, I didn't see anything special with Johnson when he played last year.  Now, he didn't play much, but when he did he didn't show great vision or quick lateral movement.   I realize I am nitpicking on a freshman, but I like to see a more natural ability to move fluid latterly, hitting holes and always be moving forward.   With that being said, I am totally with you on Thompkins, I so hope he is healthy.    

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How many yards does Mills need to have for the season to succussful?

750?

I think he needs to have 25 carries vs OSU for that game to stay close.

If people would take the 1,000 yards over 12 games as successful, that's only 660 over 8 games. So 750 would be great for me, especially in a conference only season with no Central Michigan to run over. 

I really don't know what our path to a close game against OSU looks like, but I expect our offense to look like nothing we've seen so far in that game. The coaches have all of fall camp to cook up some crazy, and I expect the plan isn't "get good enough at our base plays that they work against OSU" for this year. Down the road sure, but week 1 as a team looking to launch the re-build it's gonna be the kitchen sink.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I am with Big Ern on his ranking as of this moment, I didn't see anything special with Johnson when he played last year.  Now, he didn't play much, but when he did he didn't show great vision or quick lateral movement.   I realize I am nitpicking on a freshman, but I like to see a more natural ability to move fluid latterly, hitting holes and always be moving forward.   With that being said, I am totally with you on Thompkins, I so hope he is healthy.    

How do you think mills looked thru the first 4 games?

• Plus1 1

It seems likely the 2020 offense will show some changes as we are in year 3 and most teams modify things just to keep defenses from from being able to zero in on certain tendencies and techniques. I would tend to think that a new run game coordinator and offensive / pass game coordinator suggests other new approaches.  Play calling and even QB audibles should show changes as well.  How many of these changes are major vs subtle is the question.   In game 1 vs a team with few if any weaknesses to attack Frost has a tough chore.  Probably try to get first downs if possible with more runs vs throws but if that fails, expect plenty of passing if we can buy enough time to avoid sacks etc.  Gonna be very difficult to do anything really.  

If we can get 300 yards total offense (200 run and 100 pass), and keep OSU under 525 we will be fortunate and can be hopeful for a decent season.  

58 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I will happily bet against anyone in this camp that is down on Johnson. Mentally and from a size aspect he really was held back last year. Look for that to change. He’s got legit speed. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

but I expect our offense to look like nothing we've seen so far in that game. The coaches have all of fall camp to cook up some crazy, and I expect the plan isn't "get good enough at our base plays that they work against OSU" for this year.

I've been thinking the same thing.  We have weapons nobody has seen yet.  IF...big IF....they are as good as advertised and we can come up with a very creative game plan that isn't anything like last year's offense....we have a chance to catch them off guard.

Now....even if we show everything new, look reasonably competent and still lose, it could still make a crazy week for Wisconsin's practice's to get ready for the new look.  That could bode well for that game.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've been thinking the same thing.  We have weapons nobody has seen yet.  IF...big IF....they are as good as advertised and we can come up with a very creative game plan that isn't anything like last year's offense....we have a chance to catch them off guard.

Now....even if we show everything new, look reasonably competent and still lose, it could still make a crazy week for Wisconsin's practice's to get ready for the new look.  That could bode well for that game.

I think Frost new that last years OL was going to struggle...but that it would mean this years OL will be pretty good.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, Decked said:

I will happily bet against anyone in this camp that is down on Johnson. Mentally and from a size aspect he really was held back last year. Look for that to change. He’s got legit speed. 

I wouldn't say I am down Johnson, I was just voicing my opinion on what I saw from his limited playing time.  I am always rooting for all our players to succeed, and Johnson may turn out be our next great back, and that would be awesome!

33 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think Frost new that last years OL was going to struggle...but that it would mean this years OL will be pretty good.

I agree.  I think he knew the best way to get a good line this year was to put Cam out there to get experience (I don't think he expected the snap troubles as bad as they were) and then redshirt some really good guys to build them up.

He needed Cam to get game time experience so he would be better prepared for this year.

• Fire 1