The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I think he knew the best way to get a good line this year was to put Cam out there to get experience (I don't think he expected the snap troubles as bad as they were) and then redshirt some really good guys to build them up.

He needed Cam to get game time experience so he would be better prepared for this year.

It will not shock me if Cam is an all-conference pick the next 3 seasons (or 2 seasons, I forget what year he is)

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It will not shock me if Cam is an all-conference pick the next 3 seasons (or 2 seasons, I forget what year he is)

If he played last year as a true Freshman; then wouldn't he be a true Sophmore this year, BUT...............since this year is basically a freebie, would that regress back to a second year freshman??  Not really a redshirt fresh, but more of a yet-to-be-determined hue frosh?

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Just now, Comish said:

If he played last year as a true Freshman; then wouldn't he be a true Sophmore this year, BUT...............since this year is basically a freebie, would that regress back to a second year freshman??  Not really a redshirt fresh, but more of a yet-to-be-determined hue frosh?

He redshirted his first year with injury and was moved to OL. So, last year he was a redshirt frosh. Also, you are correct that this year is technically a freebie so he could extend his eligibility another year, but he'd already be a 4 year starter and if he is that good we'll likely lose him to the NFL.

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

He redshirted his first year with injury and was moved to OL. So, last year he was a redshirt frosh. Also, you are correct that this year is technically a freebie so he could extend his eligibility another year, but he'd already be a 4 year starter and if he is that good we'll likely lose him to the NFL.

I hope he's so damn good that we can't keep him and there's someone right behind him to step in.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

I'm taking my shot right now. Cam will be the best O-lineman Nebraska has had since the early 2000s. He will win first team all conference twice, and be a late first round pick. He is everything the NFL wants.

He is going to grade high week to week.

• Plus1 6

7 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I'm taking my shot right now. Cam will be the best O-lineman Nebraska has had since the early 2000s. He will win first team all conference twice, and be a late first round pick. He is everything the NFL wants.

I have nothing to lose by believing this.  I’m in.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
21 hours ago, Decked said:

It’s a shame because Thompkins pre injury is the most talented of anyone in that room. Let’s hope he stays healthy but one more knee injury and he should probably hang up the cleats. That being said: I hope he kicks a$$. 

Johnson at number 4 seems a bit odd to me. One year of playing + S&C and he will be ready to go. 

Mills

Johnson 

Thompkins if healthy 

Scott III

Morrison

No offense to Brody Belt but thank god he isn’t playing. Too small to be that slow. 

I disagree on Thompkins and never thought he was as good as Morrison. We will never know since he cannot stay healthy but on no planet did he do what Morrison did in HS. Morrison is also already bulking up with the same speed. Way better player IMO. Scott is coming in already in B10 form as he is jacked city for being a freshman. Johnson is the wild card but I see him more of getting carries time to time with jet sweeps etc. 

16 hours ago, Vince R. said:

You may be right but for how bad our lines have been is that saying much? Long and Sirles only two worth a damn since we joined the B10

24 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I disagree on Thompkins and never thought he was as good as Morrison. We will never know since he cannot stay healthy but on no planet did he do what Morrison did in HS. Morrison is also already bulking up with the same speed. Way better player IMO. Scott is coming in already in B10 form as he is jacked city for being a freshman. Johnson is the wild card but I see him more of getting carries time to time with jet sweeps etc. 

The Thompkins v Morrision is an interesting topic. Thompkins sure had more hype in high school while Morrison put up historic numbers in Oklahoma. 

I tend to see Scott and Morrison's role as more of the typical RB, with Johnson filling a more specialized/situational role (all purpose back/Duck) in a similar manner as Otis Anderson had early in his career at UCF. 

44 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

So a guy who played all four years in high school did more than a guy who missed his last two years due to injury.  That seems accurate.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

We will never know since he cannot stay healthy

As far as I know there's no information that says he has reinjured his knees since that second surgery in high school. I really do think it's possible that somebody's body that is that young is capable of healing up and having those injuries be in the rear view mirror. But yeah, I do fear he's another Tre Bryant - but I also think he's really talented.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Morrison is also already bulking up with the same speed.

Not sure how we would actually be able to verify that. If you have some evidence there I'm interested in seeing it because I'm currently needing a higher intake of husker football talk.   :)

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So a guy who played all four years in high school did more than a guy who missed his last two years due to injury.  That seems accurate.

Ronald who of course is talented (more of a good receiving RB) had a TOTAL of 529 rush yards in his HS career. Sometimes you have to face reality. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Pre injury Thompkins was a five star running back playing at one of the best schools in the country. Offers from anybody who is anybody. We’ll never know with all these knee injuries. 

• Plus1 3