The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

On 9/23/2020 at 11:59 AM, GBRFAN said:

Nice answer - the question was pretty straight forward

There issues where similar early in the year, styles and experience differs greatly of course.  My original point was that I would like Johnson to make some improvements in how he run the ball.  He has great speed, but I don't think we saw him run utilizing that speed last year.  Additionally, he seemed hesitant when looking for holes, which can happen when you are a freshman.  Mills may have struggled early in the year on his reads, but he was usually running hard and the line blew.  

Honestly, that was a bit surprising for me. Not the end of the world or anything but I expected Frost to say that he doesn’t think we will have to lean on Mills as much with the depth that’s popping up.

Probably nothing to worry about at all. I am just really bullish on our RB room and I might need to step back and remember it’s a process lol.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Caliborn72 said:

Honestly, that was a bit surprising for me. Not the end of the world or anything but I expected Frost to say that he doesn’t think we will have to lean on Mills as much with the depth that’s popping up.

Probably nothing to worry about at all. I am just really bullish on our RB room and I might need to step back and remember it’s a process lol.

I agree, and I am super stoked about the running backs.  Its nice to have this kind of young talent and depth.  I don't think we should look at it as leaning on Mills, if he looks like he did at the end of the year we should utilize him consistently.  He is a big strong dude, and I feel he could have a Ozigbo type year.  

On a side note, and I know this is a RB thread, but have we ever been this stocked with talent at QB?  Three legitimate four star guys,  and they are all gifted athletically.  

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think the quote may have been Scott is a freshman inside a senior’s body - not the opposite?  Wandale needs to return kicks as well unless Brown or another is better.  We got to get big plays in returns and get field position edge by punts and coverages. Speed is vital. 

Given the WR situation, I'd be really surprised to see Robinson returning kicks but PR is a possibility because you want someone seasoned there.  I have no insight on this, but I think the freshman are going to get first crack at KR.  Maybe a mix of Alante Brown/Fleming/Houston/Nance.  Lotta speed there.  I feel like NU hasn't had a punt return over 10 yards since Pierson El was back there. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1