The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

15 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Pretty sure he had a couple pretty nice catches during the All American game.

I don't think he would have been high on Frost's list if he wasn't also a good receiver.  The Frost system demands that the parts be interchangeable -- RB one play and slot receiver the next with 10 seconds in between. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, KingBlank said:

This is a correct statement.  Running backs are either running backs that can or can’t, you don’t grow into a “great” running back.

Some good comments on here about Maurice ... ^^^ like this one.

For me, still, it's not a question about whether Maurice is gonna be a great back.  He won't need to grow into anything.  It's pretty obvious he's the "real deal".  I just happen to think the Bryant/Bell duo plus a few others will be very good (especially if the OL issue gets a bump as we are hearing).  Thus, with the limited snaps is it worth the minimal play?

I love what I'm hearing and seeing with Maurice ... but it doesn't surprise me.  At this stage ... I am hopeful he gets in some really good conditioning and also gets into some good study habits early on in his career here so he can be counted on over the long haul.  He's such a talent.  It won't surprise me at all if he steps on the field and never gives up the RB spot.

1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

For me, still, it's not a question about whether Maurice is gonna be a great back.  He won't need to grow into anything.  It's pretty obvious he's the "real deal".  I just happen to think the Bryant/Bell duo plus a few others will be very good (especially if the OL issue gets a bump as we are hearing).  Thus, with the limited snaps is it worth the minimal play?

I love what I'm hearing and seeing with Maurice ... but it doesn't surprise me.  At this stage ... I am hopeful he gets in some really good conditioning and also gets into some good study habits early on in his career here so he can be counted on over the long haul.  He's such a talent.  It won't surprise me at all if he steps on the field and never gives up the RB spot.

This may be a "different" opinion, but I think the earlier Maurice plays, the better it will be for his academic issues.  If he's not playing, he could lose interest in school and fall into a slippery slope this first year.  I think if he's playing, he will be more engaged overall and that includes in his academics/studies.  He has already worked hard to get to NU and qualified, so I think he will continue that academic push going forward.

• Plus1 4
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This may be a "different" opinion, but I think the earlier Maurice plays, the better it will be for his academic issues.  If he's not playing, he could lose interest in school and fall into a slippery slope this first year.  I think if he's playing, he will be more engaged overall and that includes in his academics/studies.  He has already worked hard to get to NU and qualified, so I think he will continue that academic push going forward.

Pretty good thoughts here. I guess every kid is different. You could very well be correct. 

Opposing thought here.... do we really want the kid who will only do what he is supposed to if he gets playing time?

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Pretty good thoughts here. I guess every kid is different. You could very well be correct. 

Opposing thought here.... do we really want the kid who will only do what he is supposed to if he gets playing time?

Yes, we want kids who are bought into the program regardless of initial playing time.  I don't know what motivates MW in and out of the classroom.

My point is that MW could be "more" interested in school if he's regularly playing as a frosh.  It could be very well the added boost that he needs to succeed in the classroom.

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Yes I think Maurice is our elite talent. I think Bell and Bryant are very good running backs. I think our offense will have a threat at RB regardless of who is in. Obviously I think Washington is a bigger threat but the other 2 are still nice backs. The great thing about having 3 guys who are threats is it should allow all 3 to stay fresh and not get dinged up from over use. So week 10- all 3 guys should still be very fresh. Fresh legs, not as many dings and bruises and fatigue. 

As much as I want Washington on the field every play because of the "it" factor. I think it will be better for the team long term if he does not get over used and beat up. Hopefully our offense clicks and we get some early leads so we can really rest guys and build good game experience depth.

22 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

A spring game for high school kids with no run blitz allowed?  No I take nothing out of any of those games.  Competition in that game is low as well.  

I would say the opposite.  It is extremely hard for offenses to operate in All star games bc they have little time to install a scheme.  Defenses usually dominate offenses in all star games bc it is much easier to play a base defense with great athletes than everyone execute on offense.  Being able to tear up the UA game defense shows that this is an extremely talented young man.  

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, I am I said:

15 touches a game?  Sounds good for a true freshman. If he can hit decent on 5 of them we have ourselves a weapon. Looked so natural in that clip. 

Get him him in space and let’s goooooooo

7 hours ago, KingBlank said:

I will take the unders for 1000 frosties sir.  He is not going to get 15 touches a game.

The most touches anyone at UCF had last year was Killins; he averaged 11 a game. 

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I would say the opposite.  It is extremely hard for offenses to operate in All star games bc they have little time to install a scheme.  Defenses usually dominate offenses in all star games bc it is much easier to play a base defense with great athletes than everyone execute on offense.  Being able to tear up the UA game defense shows that this is an extremely talented young man.  

Yay more people putting words in mouth, I never said amything about him being not being talented.  Good old Huskerboard making up fake news one post at a time.  And no playing well in an all star game means squat to success in college.  Jesus Christ I hope he is really good.  Fact his high school competition was weak, you can gather your own opinion about all star games.  I think they are a foolish way to judge any player.  

2 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Yay more people putting words in mouth, I never said amything about him being not being talented.  Good old Huskerboard making up fake news one post at a time.  And no playing well in an all star game means squat to success in college.  Jesus Christ I hope he is really good.  Fact his high school competition was weak, you can gather your own opinion about all star games.  I think they are a foolish way to judge any player.  

What makes you say his high school competition was weak. His junior year he played in California- his senior year he played in Texas. Those are 2 of the most talent rich states in the US. Just curious how the competition was weak? The only 2 states that are equal or better would be Florida and Georgia.