Parkland, FL High School Shooting

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I, more than once, have stated on here that I would personally be willing to do so with what I own. Am I going to go outside and film myself cutting my guns in halves like a jackass? No, they'll have to have something in place before I'll get rid of them, but I would be willing, and likely support such a decision.

I thought we were talking about society in general, not about you specifically.

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

No. If we were all legitimately trying to do something about the problem, then it would be debatable. But almost half of our government, backed by the domestic terrorist organization known as the NRA, don't actually want to do anything about it at all. They want to leverage these deaths and the fear of gun control for their votes and money lining their pockets.

Wanting to and being willing to do something, or several things, to help fix this issue is right.

Lobbying to deny the CDC the ability to research gun violence, as well as obfuscating/distracting when kids are getting shot up in schools, is wrong.

These things also happen to fall along partisan lines.

That's hyperbole. The NRA doesn't protect their interests any more (or less) than any other organization closely intertwined with the political world. It doesn't make it right, but they certainly aren't the only ones.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I thought we were talking about society in general, not about you specifically.

I would wager that society would be more willing than you might think to go along with some sort of gun control, limiting or banning semi-automatic weapons. Or at least peacefully abide by the hypothetical new laws. The government is who will continue to stand in the way.

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

I would wager that society would be more willing than you might think to go along with some sort of gun control, limiting or banning semi-automatic weapons. Or at least peacefully abide by the hypothetical new laws. The government is who will continue to stand in the way.

I've seen the polls. I understand how much of society wants reasonable gun control.

Just now, knapplc said:

I've seen the polls. I understand how much of society wants reasonable gun control.

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but I would assume that 2/3-to-3/4 of the country would be in support?

And I'd imagine an even higher percantage, as I mentioned earlier, would peacefully abide any new restrictions even if they initially didn't support it.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder how long it would be before the number of accidental shooting deaths by armed guards tops the kind of attacks they're meant to stop.

I'm not advocating that this is the solution.  But, I know there are lots of schools who have police or armed security and I don't know of any situations where someone was accidentally shot by one.

An interesting statistic to look at is, how many school shootings have occurred at a school with armed security compared to ones without.

10 minutes ago, commando said:

trump jumped on the idea of armed guards in the schools.   that's what the NRA wants.   i would bet we are getting armed guards in our schools.   i wonder how those will be paid for?  maybe the NRA could fund them?

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I wonder how long it would be before the number of accidental shooting deaths by armed guards tops the kind of attacks they're meant to stop.

.... and there already WAS an armed guard at the Parkland school.  It's such a big school, the shooter and the guard never came in contact..... pretty effective.

• Plus1 2

If we can get something accomplished moving toward saving our kids in the classroom, I wonder if Democrats would be willing to get on board with saving the 100's of thousands of kid that are unnecessarily aborted every year before having the chance to experience life outside the womb? Complete, serious thought.... Not trying to "troll".

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 2
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I haven't seen any recent numbers, but I would assume that 2/3-to-3/4 of the country would be in support?

And I'd imagine an even higher percantage, as I mentioned earlier, would peacefully abide any new restrictions even if they initially didn't support it.

I believe the CNN pole I saw this morning said 97% were in favor of background checks for all gun buyers.

And yet, nothing happens...

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 2