Parkland, FL High School Shooting

Thanks - sorry, with all the lengthy threads on similar topics I am sure I overlooked your previous comment.

I struggle to understand why there is such a fight to keep something around that is really just a fun thing to have and shoot.  I can appreciate the debate on gun ownership when they have a purpose like hunting or protection (don't agree but I understand).  

If they're really a fun range item only then would one possible solution be to have them only there?  Rent or borrow while on site and have them outlawed anywhere else?

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, it’s all my fault. This happens on liberal message boards all the time. Decide that any opinions that disagree with your own are anti-truth and “fake news” and then do whatever is necessary to eliminate or silence them. Typical.

But by all means, let’s get back to discussing how you guys are going to go about repealing the Second Amendment and banning guns. Because that’s super practical and absolutely going to happen.

A majority of American voters (and the posters on this board) do not support a full repeal of the Second Amendment. Yes, some people do want this, and complete support of the Second Amendment dwindles every year. But, more legislation is typically the beckoning call, not a full repeal. Yet, every time something like this happens, the NRA and gun activists posture that the Second Amendment is under assault so everybody better get more guns. The only people that win are gun manufacturers. I'm a gun owner and even I see this kind of BS happening every - single - time.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’ve seen a number of people advocating for repealing the Second Amendment and otherwise trying to ban guns. If you haven’t, it’s because you haven’t looked.

Go look up confirmation bias.

The reason most people haven't "seen a number of people" wanting to get rid of the 2nd amendment, is because that "number of people" is a very small % of the population and you have to look for them.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

Yeah, it’s all my fault. This happens on liberal message boards all the time. Decide that any opinions that disagree with your own are anti-truth and “fake news” and then do whatever is necessary to eliminate or silence them. Typical.

But by all means, let’s get back to discussing how you guys are going to go about repealing the Second Amendment and banning guns. Because that’s super practical and absolutely going to happen.

Of course no one is saying that. You're just creating a straw libtard, then taking your ball and going home. 

I think this is one of the better political discussions on the web. More people who know what they're talking about and show they're homework. It's interesting how the people who refuse to follow Trump and the GOP off the cliff are presumed liberal. It's not a zero sum game. 

• Plus1 3

My views are pretty mainstream conservative and shared by roughly half of the community. But because they disagree with yours, you decide they’re “mentally unstable.” 

Typical.

I’ve seen a number of people advocating for repealing the Second Amendment and otherwise trying to ban guns. If you haven’t, it’s because you haven’t looked. My views on OPS are shared by A LOT of people in this community. Their inept and hopelessly dysfunctional Board is a big part of the problem. But it’s been a trainwreck since the Schuerman years, when good old Norbert the Fat Cat was lining his pockets and those of his friends with public funds.

No your views aren’t mainstream anything. They’re far from and part of the reason the GOP has degenerated into a shell of its former self. But delusions that fringe belief systems are or should be mainstream? 

Also, things like numbers and hyperbole aren’t your friends, since there’s not a lot of people in this thread advocating abolishment of the 2nd Amendment. Maybe you personally, since you come off as unhinged and unflinching in your beliefs, no matter how mathematically wrong you are, but not the 2nd Amendment for everyone. 

As for OPS, considering you ultimately fought against educating children and took pride in it...not to mention dentegrated the work teachers do, why should anyone take your views on education seriously? 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, wiby_NU said:

This thread has gone from constructive conversation to Westboro Baptist crazy..Use the ignore function people and let the mods take out the trash.

Good point. Just too bad that the convo had to be derailed by the herp-a-derp like it was. There were a lot of good points from the long time posters. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Of course no one is saying that. You're just creating a straw libtard, then taking your ball and going home. 

I think this is one of the better political discussions on the web. More people who know what they're talking about and show they're homework. It's interesting how the people who refuse to follow Trump and the GOP off the cliff are presumed liberal. It's not a zero sum game. 

Very good point. We need to stop viewing politics as a zero sum game and remember what it is—representation of the people to find the best solutions or compromise that positively impacts the greatest amount of people. 

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

The Husker Fans who post on this board are, in my experience, among the smartest of any Husker message board.  Being quite clever, we respect and expect factually-based discussions on just about every subject. You see that in Husker Football, in P&R, everywhere.  Many other Husker message boards, like most any message board, relies mostly on emotion-based arguments largely devoid of facts.

Here, we have a number of people who demand and respect facts.  We provide them in defense of our arguments and when crazypants arguments are presented, we ask for facts to be supplied to support those arguments. And not just any facts do, either.  We expect - and should expect - reliable, factual data.  It's the best and easiest way to have an honest discussion about any subject.

And here's the funny thing - the facts have led many of us to certain points of view. Not facts that we've gleaned to fit our preconceived notions, but actual basic raw facts. 

When confronted with facts, honest people conform to those facts, and change their opinions.  Dishonest people ignore facts, or find "alternate facts" that fit their preconceived notions. 

Those kinds of people don't tend to last here long.  And that's nobody's fault but theirs.

TLDR version: if you spend all day with like minded people, you generally won't make a point to come online and defend that thought process with anonymous strangers.

Funny thing is, this is true everywhere.

My Dad goes to the small town NE coffee shop every morning.  There is never a shortage of one liners and political quips.  Full disclosure: my dad is one Democrat in a gathering of about 8 other Republicans.  I'm sure they are all equipped to form rational arguments and probably have valid points.  But I have personally seen an avalanche of political slurs be immediately stopped by my dad raising the findings of one newspaper article.  

I don't think there is a lack of validity in Republican thought, not at all.  But I do believe Nebraska Republicans (which probably make up a majority of this board) aren't used to defending the talking points they are fed.  Where as Nebraska Democrats live every day in "defense mode".  It's natural that these conversations tend to have a liberal slant; we're used to having to explain our thought process.

Edited by funhusker
  • Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

The Husker Fans who post on this board are, in my experience, among the smartest of any Husker message board.  Being quite clever, we respect and expect factually-based discussions on just about every subject. You see that in Husker Football, in P&R, everywhere.  Many other Husker message boards, like most any message board, relies mostly on emotion-based arguments largely devoid of facts.

Here, we have a number of people who demand and respect facts.  We provide them in defense of our arguments and when crazypants arguments are presented, we ask for facts to be supplied to support those arguments. And not just any facts do, either.  We expect - and should expect - reliable, factual data.  It's the best and easiest way to have an honest discussion about any subject.

And here's the funny thing - the facts have led many of us to certain points of view. Not facts that we've gleaned to fit our preconceived notions, but actual basic raw facts. 

When confronted with facts, honest people conform to those facts, and change their opinions.  Dishonest people ignore facts, or find "alternate facts" that fit their preconceived notions. 

Those kinds of people don't tend to last here long.  And that's nobody's fault but theirs.

I do enjoy all the fact based links that some very knowledgeable people post here, but i really don't think every single thing that's said can be proven 100% true ,or false, with facts. If that were the case there would be no need for message boards, someone would just post "the facts" and there would be no need for any more discussion. 

Many things discussed here are based on opinion, (especially politics and Religion) and i enjoy that kind of exchange of  too. 

I think properly presented facts and opinions can coexist on this board, and in "real life" also. lol 

Edited by Big Red 40
9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

So anyone who disagrees with you is anti-truth or spinning “alternative facts.” 

idk about anyone, but certainly you, at least.

8 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

There is no reason to ban semi-automatic guns.

what are the reasons for them to be easily accessible to citizens in the first place, though?

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

idk about anyone, but certainly you, at least.

what are the reasons for them to be easily accessible to citizens in the first place, though?

I don't know,  maybe for people to use them for hunting like a majority do...