Ask a PhD in clinical psychology anything (No personal help)

Huskerzoo

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand...at least up until they commit a crime.  For instance, you can't mandate alcohol treatment.....until someone gets arrested for DUI.

To me, how to deal with people who need treatment but refuse treatment, is quite possibly the biggest problem in all of this.

I would be very interested in knowing how other developed countries handle this.

There's a whole theory set up around identification and intervention that's really fascinating. See below, we try to do the same thing. However, group level intervention results in reduced precision in changing behavior. A good example was DARE. It was an attempt to change behavior, but it didn't work well. Everyone got it though which was good. If we developed better group level interventions that we include in school programming it could go a long way. You're starting to see some of this pop up in the form of mindfulness programs in school. Unfortunately, folks do not fully understand why we use mindfulness skills, so some of the benefits may be lost. This is a very important step for research, it's just difficult (and expensive) to track long-term outcomes of an infrequent behavior (e.g. homicidal acts of violence). 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Images/Prevention_stages_e.gif&imgrefurl=https://www.med.uottawa.ca/sim/data/Prevention_e.htm&h=529&w=945&tbnid=Kq35e7cUiNHtEM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=211&usg=__dpAaO5GGbKnCkWqvuUqLrNE9Eyo%3D&vet=10ahUKEwiTps7nn6vZAhVFR6wKHbI5ApgQ9QEIMDAA..i&docid=4rkY1iSWJDD7yM&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTps7nn6vZAhVFR6wKHbI5ApgQ9QEIMDAA 

• Plus1 2

I would assume that mental illness effects both men and women.  When you take into consideration those who report and those who don't report or get treatment lets say it is probably 50/50 split between the sexes.  

Working with that assumption, and the argument of the right that it isn't guns but mental illness that kills people in these shootings, why are the gunmen 98% of the time men?

(I guess not so much a question as it is something to ponder for all of us)

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There's a 100% chance that the chances of them being on the same train track is between 1 in 1 and 1 in infinity, so 6.24 in 1 is unpossible.

Infinity? There is definitely a relatively small finite number of railroad tracks, routes and even trains.

6.24 may be a hair off but how dare you doubt the train related probability calculations of a PhD in clinical psychology. Shame, shame on you.

• 3 weeks later...

Piggybacking on what NM had already asked, I've heard the argument on this very board that a possible underlying cause of gun violence in our country is the phenomenon of our society having "broken boys." I take that to mean ones who do not have adequate social support at home or lack strong maternal/paternal guidance which pushes them toward social isolation and thus makes them more susceptible to perpetrating gun violence. Do you buy that? Is there any evidence supporting that as a possible cause or is it just an unfortunate coincidence?

If being a male is a factor, is it at all related to that stat you hear tossed around a lot about suicide about how men are more likely to opt for a gun as a mean and that they're more likely to follow through than women?

Lastly, given your knowledge, do you personally believe restricting gun access for those with a diagnosed mental illness is a fruitful avenue for curbing gun violence? No judgement.

Thanks zoo, this is an awesome idea for a thread. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 years later...