Tickets Sold Compared to Actual Attendance

Mavric

3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

So we should be proud that like 15,000 people got stuck with tickets they couldn't move and a team they didn't want to watch?  

Also UNK (thats Kearney for you folks East of the capitol)

Is completely cutting mens baseball, golf and tennis because of a 3.4 mill budget shortfall, affecting the lives of about 60 young athletes.  That baseball team did annual fundraisers and put a lot into their community.  And it stinks that they have to go through this when we are paying failed coaches millions of dollars.

Oh is this the thread where we can also talk about Trev Alberts cutting UNO football for hockey?  Seems relevant...

:blink:

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1

If the spring game sales are any indication, we might not have a discrepancy between tickets sold and attendance in the very near future.  Then all of this will be a mute point.

However, this does point out that the sell out streak may have been threatened if things had remained in the status quo.  How long would boasters be willing to buy out the balance of the tickets with such terrible performance on the field?  I don't think much longer.

• 9 months later...

The scanned ticket totals for 2016-2018 home games:

Fresno State     76,048
Wyoming          74,332
Oregon           80,865
Illinois         77,442
Purdue           76,532
Minnesota        74,945
Maryland         64,852

Arkansas State   76,508
No. Illinois     70,525
Rutgers          70,104
Wisconsin        77,633
Ohio State       67,400
Northwestern     68,996
Iowa             69,436

Akron            77,648
Colorado         80,654
Troy             73,558
Purdue           70,816
Minnesota        75,009
Bethune-Cookman  61,939
Illinois         54,838
Michigan State   61,401

2016 & 2017 number from the OWH in the OP.  2018 via 247

I know there was some discussion on this board after the MSU game about the student section being empty at the upper levels when it was shown on TV, but the announcers also frequently commented on how loud the stadium was that day. For any of you who were there, do these numbers compute? Was it really only 2/3 full? Same with the Illinois and BCU games? A few no-shows is one thing, but 30k empty seats for a game seems hard to imagine.

5 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I know there was some discussion on this board after the MSU game about the student section being empty at the upper levels when it was shown on TV, but the announcers also frequently commented on how loud the stadium was that day. For any of you who were there, do these numbers compute? Was it really only 2/3 full? Same with the Illinois and BCU games? A few no-shows is one thing, but 30k empty seats for a game seems hard to imagine.

MSU game was mostly full at kickoff. After half, it cleared out some. 

On my ESPN app, when I go to the Gamecast tab on each of these games, it shows the following in terms of attendance, with a listed stadium capacity of 85,458:

CU: 89,853

Troy: 89,360

Purdue: 88,911

Minnesota: 89,272

BCU: 88,735

Illinois: 88,316

MSU: 88,793

I know some of ESPN's info is dubious, but where do these numbers come from, and why would there be such a disparity between these attendance figures and the actual tickets scanned? 

49 minutes ago, Ulty said:

On my ESPN app, when I go to the Gamecast tab on each of these games, it shows the following in terms of attendance, with a listed stadium capacity of 85,458:

CU: 89,853

Troy: 89,360

Purdue: 88,911

Minnesota: 89,272

BCU: 88,735

Illinois: 88,316

MSU: 88,793

I know some of ESPN's info is dubious, but where do these numbers come from, and why would there be such a disparity between these attendance figures and the actual tickets scanned? 

The attendance figures posted for the game is made up of these:  tickets sold (so that's 85K right there), concession workers, security/police, credentialed media (which can increase with bigger games), players, people with sideline passes, and a few other categories I can't think of right now.

The scanned ticket totals are from the physical tickets scanned as people enter the gates.  There is always a decent difference in announced attendance and the tickets scanned.

• Plus1 1

I know some season ticket holders that live out of state. They can't make it to every game. Sometimes they give their tickets to other (local, out of state) fans who would like to attend but can't afford the price of tickets AND the trip to Lincoln. This is part of the reason for the difference between the sell out and attendance.