Tickets Sold Compared to Actual Attendance

Mavric

50 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I still wish they would contrast this to previous eras. Or other schools.

This information in a vacuum doesn't really tell us much. It's odd they keep running this story. I guess we're going to be getting this kind of content from the OWH from now on?

Anything to get clicks/reads. That's kind of how the media is now. 

The team stinks

The freshness of Big Ten teams is gone and people are realizing how lame it is to play Illinois, PU, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers and so on.

Students get their student tickets but are not leaving the fun of the North Bottoms and/or Barry's as easily as they would have in yewars past.

11am games are great...unless you have a bunch.  Night games are great...unless you have a bunch.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The team stinks

The freshness of Big Ten teams is gone and people are realizing how lame it is to play Illinois, PU, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers and so on.

Students get their student tickets but are not leaving the fun of the North Bottoms and/or Barry's as easily as they would have in yewars past.

11am games are great...unless you have a bunch.  Night games are great...unless you have a bunch.

And the stadium atmosphere is stale. I mean the music, videos.  etc. how hard would it be to have a set end of 3rd quarter song to get jazzed to? Something to look forward to, get jiggy with, sing along to type song. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

More apathy, parties not even getting rowdy anymore.

We just go to the Zoo Bar a few hours before kickoff.  Nice folks in there, if you can put up with the overly cranked up amps when there's live music.  I stop at Abe's and get some food for us, as my wife and daughter go in and get our usual table.  We've been doing that for quite a while.  Her mom and sister and friends to the tailgate thing and tell us "it's gotten quieter lately." 

Well, one factor is that we're all getting older.  I'm coming up on 74, my wife's (mumble) years old, and her mom's (mumble mumble) years old.  We can't drink or party like we used to.  :hmmph

This one is right in my wheel house because it involves analytics. 

There are probably pretty logical reasons for this, like the stadium has more seating.....more people are not actually attending the games (for whatever reason)....etc, etc.

Here's a thought too....

I'd love to see the average age of Nebraska season ticket holders.  It's no surprise that a vast majority of people who are long time ticket holders (of any team, mind you), are...how do I say it....of a more advanced age?

There was a marketing firm that did a study about this going on 10 years ago in reference to NBA teams.  Here's what they found:

https://teamsportsmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/chapter-5.2010.pdf

image.png.489182affd55ba4c49fd8e7ed8735d35.png

The average person at that time that was purchasing a season ticket made over 100k a year, lived closer to the games, and were older in age than any other demographic, and have no kids at home.  10 years ago, I was 33 years old, and our income wasn't in that 100K range.  I'm 43, and my income now falls in that range - but I have 3 kids at Starship Hortdog.

With that being said (now that I'm older), I get just as much enjoyment going to a game as I do having friends over the house to watch the game - and I don't have to fight traffic, parking, expensive concession prices, all the complaints people have about going to events like this.

It's not just American sports, either. The Guardian had a similar article about sports as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/14/premierleague

"The demographic is altering," said Keen. "Season-ticket holders today are very different from those of 15 or even 10 years ago. Their age and affluence is going up. The average age of a Premier League season-ticket holder is now 44 and a recent survey showed that only around 9% can be classified as working class. That figure used to be around 75-80% and the average age was much younger . . . Season-ticket prices have gone up by an average of 7.2% this summer but it's a completely short-term strategy. A whole generation is being priced out of Premier League football. A lot of young people are growing up without ever having experienced live games."

It'd be pretty far fetched to say something like this doesn't have some impact.  Add to that fact a poorly performing team, and you've got the recipe for declining numbers.

Don't think that it's something that isn't on Moos' mind, as there was an article on 247 back in August about this:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Husker-football-season-ticket-renewal-rate-2019-134210435/

"It's a big concern of mine, to tell you the truth, and why we need to encourage our students to be involved," Moos said then. "They are the future of this sellout streak, and I can't tell you how many people upon my arrival for months and months and months would come up to me and say they're a fourth-generation season-ticket holder, and 'I've come to these games since the time I was seven years old,' and on and on. That's a badge of honor, and part of a tradition and legacy that is very special and we've got to make sure that's nurtured and that it continues into the future."

So, what do you do?  You can get creative with ticket prices like the Buckeyes did: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/08/105724/ohio-state-season-football-ticket-renewals-decreased-4-to-5-percent-resulting-in-flexible-season-ticket-packages

Or, you can do that....AND the most obvious thing (from the same 24-7 article):

Of course, winning more can probably help the most, as Nebraska is trying to end a conference title drought that goes back to 1999. The fact the renewal rate is at almost 96 percent despite that streak going back 20 years now makes that figure more impressive.

Last point - Husker fans have been some of the most dedicated fans in football history.  But, as times change, and the generations get further and further from the successes of the 90's, you have younger generations that don't have that culture of dominance and championship that most of us remember.  And they'll let you know it by not supporting the team.  That was no more evident than what happened in Tallahassee, Florida, with Free Shoes.

In 2013, they won the National Championship.  In that season, they broke an attendance record at The Doak against #7 Da U, with a record 84,409 people in the seats.  This year, their highest attended game was only 60,351.

So where did 30k people go in less than 10 years? 

13: 14-0 (84,409)

14: 13-1 (82,485)

15: 10-3 (82,329)

16: 10-3 (77,102)

17: 7-6 (and were really 5-6 and had to beat Louisiana-Monroe to get win #6) (71,805)

18: 5-7 (72,239, first home game of the year, and first game of the Taggart era)

19: 6-6 (60,351)

They stopped supporting their team when the team stopped performing on the field.  They basically voted with their pocketbooks, and Taggart is gonzo because of it (and the fact that he was a doofus and didn't sign his contract).

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

This one is right in my wheel house because it involves analytics. 

There are probably pretty logical reasons for this, like the stadium has more seating.....more people are not actually attending the games (for whatever reason)....etc, etc.

Here's a thought too....

I'd love to see the average age of Nebraska season ticket holders.  It's no surprise that a vast majority of people who are long time ticket holders (of any team, mind you), are...how do I say it....of a more advanced age?

There was a marketing firm that did a study about this going on 10 years ago in reference to NBA teams.  Here's what they found:

https://teamsportsmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/chapter-5.2010.pdf

image.png.489182affd55ba4c49fd8e7ed8735d35.png

The average person at that time that was purchasing a season ticket made over 100k a year, lived closer to the games, and were older in age than any other demographic, and have no kids at home.  10 years ago, I was 33 years old, and our income wasn't in that 100K range.  I'm 43, and my income now falls in that range - but I have 3 kids at Starship Hortdog.

With that being said (now that I'm older), I get just as much enjoyment going to a game as I do having friends over the house to watch the game - and I don't have to fight traffic, parking, expensive concession prices, all the complaints people have about going to events like this.

It's not just American sports, either. The Guardian had a similar article about sports as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/14/premierleague

"The demographic is altering," said Keen. "Season-ticket holders today are very different from those of 15 or even 10 years ago. Their age and affluence is going up. The average age of a Premier League season-ticket holder is now 44 and a recent survey showed that only around 9% can be classified as working class. That figure used to be around 75-80% and the average age was much younger . . . Season-ticket prices have gone up by an average of 7.2% this summer but it's a completely short-term strategy. A whole generation is being priced out of Premier League football. A lot of young people are growing up without ever having experienced live games."

It'd be pretty far fetched to say something like this doesn't have some impact.  Add to that fact a poorly performing team, and you've got the recipe for declining numbers.

Don't think that it's something that isn't on Moos' mind, as there was an article on 247 back in August about this:

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Husker-football-season-ticket-renewal-rate-2019-134210435/

"It's a big concern of mine, to tell you the truth, and why we need to encourage our students to be involved," Moos said then. "They are the future of this sellout streak, and I can't tell you how many people upon my arrival for months and months and months would come up to me and say they're a fourth-generation season-ticket holder, and 'I've come to these games since the time I was seven years old,' and on and on. That's a badge of honor, and part of a tradition and legacy that is very special and we've got to make sure that's nurtured and that it continues into the future."

So, what do you do?  You can get creative with ticket prices like the Buckeyes did: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/08/105724/ohio-state-season-football-ticket-renewals-decreased-4-to-5-percent-resulting-in-flexible-season-ticket-packages

Or, you can do that....AND the most obvious thing (from the same 24-7 article):

Of course, winning more can probably help the most, as Nebraska is trying to end a conference title drought that goes back to 1999. The fact the renewal rate is at almost 96 percent despite that streak going back 20 years now makes that figure more impressive.

Last point - Husker fans have been some of the most dedicated fans in football history.  But, as times change, and the generations get further and further from the successes of the 90's, you have younger generations that don't have that culture of dominance and championship that most of us remember.  And they'll let you know it by not supporting the team.  That was no more evident than what happened in Tallahassee, Florida, with Free Shoes.

In 2013, they won the National Championship.  In that season, they broke an attendance record at The Doak against #7 Da U, with a record 84,409 people in the seats.  This year, their highest attended game was only 60,351.

So where did 30k people go in less than 10 years? 

13: 14-0 (84,409)

14: 13-1 (82,485)

15: 10-3 (82,329)

16: 10-3 (77,102)

17: 7-6 (and were really 5-6 and had to beat Louisiana-Monroe to get win #6) (71,805)

18: 5-7 (72,239, first home game of the year, and first game of the Taggart era)

19: 6-6 (60,351)

They stopped supporting their team when the team stopped performing on the field.  They basically voted with their pocketbooks, and Taggart is gonzo because of it (and the fact that he was a doofus and didn't sign his contract).

giphy.gif