Tickets Sold Compared to Actual Attendance

Mavric

It would be interesting to know how many seats at memorial stadium are grandfathered in so they aren't needing to pay for the donation on top of the ticket price.

At about $60 each face value, I'd have a hard time not showing up and just eating the costs of a pair of tickets for a game. I can't imagine making a $4K per year donation on top of the face value a pair of tickets for "good seats" and eating most of the costs when either not showing up or selling them for pennies on the dollar.

You'd think the cost of tickets alone would ensure that nearly all seats get butts in them in a "sold out" stadium.

1 minute ago, Maized & Confused said:

It would be interesting to know how many seats at memorial stadium are grandfathered in so they aren't needing to pay for the donation on top of the ticket price.

At about $60 each face value, I'd have a hard time not showing up and just eating the costs of a pair of tickets for a game. I can't imagine making a $4K per year donation on top of the face value a pair of tickets for "good seats" and eating most of the costs when either not showing up or selling them for pennies on the dollar.

You'd think the cost of tickets alone would ensure that nearly all seats get butts in them in a "sold out" stadium.

We don't pay anywhere near a thousand per seat "donation" but we've eaten our tickets as recently as this year.  If neither of us wants to go, why force ourselves?  It's supposed to be fun.

I think I only went to half the games this year.  We sold some tickets, and ate the Wiscy tickets.  Just part of the new reality.

Just now, knapplc said:

We don't pay anywhere near a thousand per seat "donation" but we've eaten our tickets as recently as this year.  If neither of us wants to go, why force ourselves?  It's supposed to be fun.

I think I only went to half the games this year.  We sold some tickets, and ate the Wiscy tickets.  Just part of the new reality.

Did you put some Montreal Steak Seasoning on the ones you ate?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maized & Confused said:

There is no rationale that justifies any "donation," cost and there hasn't been for years. The donation has to at least partially be based in the altruistic concept of donating to help the University and the students.  If that is the motivation behind the donation, then you are still just eating the face value of tickets when you don't go. 

4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

There is no rationale that justifies any "donation," cost and there hasn't been for years.

I've always assumed that there are many ticket holders that do not "donate" any more than the minimum that they have to get the seats they want, but maybe my assumptions are based more upon my personal expectations of wanting something for my money and the more money I spend the higher my expectations for something nicer (in this case more desirable seats).

Knowing there might be seats that are grandfathered in that don't require the minimum donation made me wonder if it can contribute to some of the lower attendance when the team's not doing well because the ticket holder doesn't have as much invested.

Oh, by the way knapplc, I'd use some Pappy's seasoning if I was eating my tickets and make them taste a little closer to some of that good Fresno tri-tip.

1 hour ago, Maized & Confused said:

At about $60 each face value, I'd have a hard time not showing up and just eating the costs of a pair of tickets for a game.

It’s a sunk cost by the time the season rolls around.  And that $120 for a pair of tickets ends up costing at least double after accounting for parking, concessions, pre and/or post game trips to the railyard or downtown.  So you are actually “saving” yourself money by eating the tickets.

• Plus1 1

• 2 months later...

You have to wonder how the COVID-19 Coronavirus will affect NU's football attendance in 2020.  Could the sellout streak also be put into jeopardy?  I would imagine, assuming the virus ramps back up again in the fall, that across the country sporting events as well as other large crowds will be avoided by many.  Who knows at this point, but I hope this is something NU's AD is considering.

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

You have to wonder how the COVID-19 Coronavirus will affect NU's football attendance in 2020.  Could the sellout streak also be put into jeopardy?  I would imagine, assuming the virus ramps back up again in the fall, that across the country sporting events as well as other large crowds will be avoided by many.  Who knows at this point, but I hope this is something NU's AD is considering.

:facepalm:

• Plus1 3
On 12/5/2019 at 6:57 PM, Igetbored216 said:

What's the deal with the donation? I have read it is mandatory. If so, it isn't a donation, it's a fee. 

It's suggested because you don't have to do it to get in the stadium, there are donation free spots available. It is suggested you donate a certain about to be prioritized into the seats you want.