Tickets Sold Compared to Actual Attendance

Mavric

3 minutes ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you can draw a perfect parallel between the sellout streak and tennis. I might not find the sellout streak super enticing, but the article was discussing a subset of Husker Football (Husker Football is really interesting to me) - the sell-out versus actually attendance, so I commented. Last I checked, people are free to share opinions on message boards, even if they don't get a hard-on for the topic at hand. 

It seems to me like you have more of a "hard-on" for it than anyone else in this thread.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, HuskerNBigD said:

I tend to defend myself more than I probably should,  you're correct about that.

I think you have valid concerns about attendance. And I get the correlation between attendance & the streak. But they're not the same, and it would be nice to have a conversation about one without the other coming up every time.

• Plus1 2

Sell outs are due in large part to the great majority of the tickets being held by long time season ticket holders.  Most of those season ticket buyers know full well that the 'market' price of the tickets is considerably lower than the 'face price' the ticket office sells them for.  The excess of the face over the market is effectively a donation.   If tickets weren't packaged as season bundles, there would a number of games every year that would be practically impossible to sell while the few highly watched games would bring a considerable premium.  

This has always been the case and attendance is impacted by much more than the general fan interest or disinterest in watching the team.   Even in 1995, at the peak of NU power and the pinnacle, arguably, of what should have been fan interest, tickets for some games were still not easy to resell even at half of face price.  Weather, kick off times, competing public events, activities such as fall harvest,or  local events, etc. impact the ability of individual fans to actually attend games.   Total tickets sold will always (there can be exceptions and were back in the late 60s and early 70s when sneaking into the games was quite common) exceed attendance.   Over time, as people have grown larger, the comfort and convenience of attending has declined.  Traffic, parking,, and so on also have made attendance even more expensive.   TV coverage also impact attendance, while tickets are still being sold, there are more and more going unused or given away.   Many also only go to the first half and then go 'tailgate'.  Even on bright sunny Sept days when the team's season outlook remains mroe hopeful.  

I'm guessing that this coming season, even with the less than stellar home schedule, we'll see actual attendance numbers much closer to the number of tickets sold. I mean seriously I probably wouldn't have accepted free tickets for the last few home games last season. It's that general sentiment that leads people to think the sellout streak may end at anytime. In reality it would probably take consistent attendance figures below 60k before it translated to actual sales. Another season of Riley and we may have found out. The sellout streak is in no danger of ending now for a long long time.

I haven't been to a home game in years but I am planning on making it to a minimum of two this year.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

So the sellout streak isn't interesting to you.  That's cool.  Most everyone who thinks it's a neat thing understands the situation.  They're cool with it.

Tennis isn't really interesting to me.  To some people it is.  I don't go into conversations about tennis and tell everyone how boring I find it.  Seems pretty odd to me that some people do. 

So we should be proud that like 15,000 people got stuck with tickets they couldn't move and a team they didn't want to watch?  

Also UNK (thats Kearney for you folks East of the capitol)

Is completely cutting mens baseball, golf and tennis because of a 3.4 mill budget shortfall, affecting the lives of about 60 young athletes.  That baseball team did annual fundraisers and put a lot into their community.  And it stinks that they have to go through this when we are paying failed coaches millions of dollars.

5 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

So we should be proud that like 15,000 people got stuck with tickets they couldn't move and a team they didn't want to watch?  

Is completely cutting mens baseball, golf and tennis because of a 3.4 mill budget shortfall, affecting the lives of about 60 young athletes.  That baseball team did annual fundraisers and put a lot into their community.  And it stinks that they have to go through this when we are paying failed coaches millions of dollars.

That was quite the segue.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I could say "I would prefer no one starve to death" and someone could reply:

"So you want all Nebraskans to starve to death just so we can feed a few people in China" and it would make as much sense as this leap.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 4
27 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Edited by famoustitles
11 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

These are two things are not in the same universe, and that is not how it works.  UNK has to use some of it’s overall budget to keep these athletic programs running.  UNL Athletics runs in the black as a business, UNK does not.  Though they are in the same University system, athletic budgets at these schools are separate, revenue is separate.  If you trying to suggest University of Nebraska Lincoln should pay for UNK tennis, that is way larger argument.

• Plus1 1