Russia

No surprise but revealing.

I Was a White House Stenographer. Trump Wasn’t a Fan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/opinion/trump-recording-press-news.html

But now, we were faced with a president who didn’t want to be recorded. Perhaps he didn’t fully understand the role of the stenographer. That would make sense, since his administration had rebuffed every invitation from the Obama transition team during an inherently stressful time, including to learn how to keep the lights on.

1 hour ago, commando said:

it occurs to me that tRUmp isn't just destroying everything Obama did.  he is also destroying Reagans victory over the soviet union and seems determined to help Putin make Russia great again.

You're right.  

Another thing that I wish people close to him would knock him over the head with is the quote that he keeps spewing that relations with Russia has never been worse than what it is now.

It's like the guy has absolutely no concept of history.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

WTF

I really think this past week has cemented Trumps idea that he can do whatever he wants and no one can stop him . He got away with having a one on one meeting that shouldn’t have happened , got away with releasing little or nothing about what happened there , and got away with lying to cover up his disastrous press conference afterwards . I fully believe he will keep pushing the envelope now and I don’t think anything will be done about it  either . 

4 hours ago, commando said:

it occurs to me that tRUmp isn't just destroying everything Obama did.  he is also destroying Reagans victory over the soviet union and seems determined to help Putin make Russia great again.

Yep.  Deep down you got to know the KGB Putin hates Reagan's guts and legacy.  Nothing like using a puppet to destroy it.

That any American who loves this country still supports this guy amazes me. We have members right here on HuskerBoard who will not denounce Trump or any of these actions.

These are the acts of a traitor.  Period.  Anyone trying to explain this away is not a patriot.

No Way to Run a Superpower

On Thursday, Putin gave a public address to Russian diplomats in which he claimed that specific “useful agreements” were reached with Trump in their private, one-on-one meeting at the summit, a private meeting that Trump himself insisted on. Putin’s announcement came a day after his Ambassador to Washington, Anatoly Antonov, said that Trump had made “important verbal agreements” with Putin on arms control and other matters. The Russians, Antonov said, were ready to get moving on implementing them. The White House, meanwhile, has said nothing about what the two men may have agreed to in private, although Trump tweeted Thursday morning that he and Putin had discussed everything from nuclear proliferation to Syria, Ukraine, and trade, and that he looked forward to a second meeting with the Russian President soon, to follow up. On Thursday afternoon, the White House confirmed that Trump plans to invite Putin to Washington in the fall for another summit.

Days after the Helsinki summit, Trump’s advisers have offered no information—literally zero—about any such agreements. His own government apparently remains unaware about any deals that Trump made with Putin, or any plans for a second meeting, and public briefings from the State Department and Pentagon have offered no elaboration except to make clear that they are embarrassingly uninformed days after the summit.

Unlike Putin, Trump did not brief his own diplomats on the Helsinki meeting. The American Secretary of State, national-security adviser, and Ambassador to Moscow, who attended the lunch after Trump and Putin’s private session, have been publicly silent on the substance of the meetings, leaving it to the Russians, for now, to make claims about what was actually said and done behind closed doors between the two Presidents. Even as Putin was publicly talking of “agreements” in Moscow on Thursday, the U.S. Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, gave a radio interview to the conservative talk-show host Hugh Hewitt. The bulk of their conversation concerned a meeting that Pompeo is hosting next week to promote “religious freedom” internationally. The Secretary of State was neither asked about nor chose to elaborate on what happened in Helsinki, and the only question about Russia concerned whether Pompeo had been alerted, before the Helsinki summit, to the Justice Department indictments of a dozen Russian military-intelligence officers in connection with the 2016 Russian hacking on Trump’s behalf. “I can’t talk about that, Hugh,” Pompeo said.

• Plus1 3

On 7/17/2018 at 9:47 AM, TGHusker said:

Agree - most of the time, the simplest, most straightforward,obvious answer is the correct answer.

1.  Early 2000s Trump Inc run's into financial problems

2.  Trump Inc - near bankruptcy

3.  Banks stop providing loans

4.  Trump gets loan from foreign bank (thanks Judge Kennedy's son)

5.  Russians start buying whole floors on Trump projects

6. Trump's properties are heavily leveraged by Russian cash

7.  Trump refuses to release his taxes

8.  Trump tower meeting wt the Russians

9.  Russian get involved in USA elections to defeat (1st option) or 2ndly to discredit a Clinton presidency

10.  Russia voices disapproval of Romney selection as SOS as he is even harder on Russia than Clinton

11. Trump acting like a lap dog to Putin yesterday

It is clear to me that the simple, clear, straightforward answer is that Putin has the goods on Trump and Trump has to do his bidding.

To the bolded, I'm just now connecting dots in my head. Anyone else remember when Trump kept saying the election would have been rigged if he didn't win? I attributed it to his fragile ego at the time, but I'm ready to say he was working for Putin with those statements. What's the penalty for treason?

1 hour ago, mrandyk said:

What's the penalty for treason?

Nothing, when an entire political party is willing to take every available action to obfuscate and protect you and you're allowed to nominate judges to the highest court in the land who will say that the president is above the law.

Trump is exposing all the flaws and cracks in our system. We're all going to have to hope Mueller uncovers very obvious fire just under the surface that's producing all this smoke and see if the GOP blinks.