Russia

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Its really only a nato problem because nato has been creeping closer and closer to russia since the end on the cold war. Adding the baltic countries and the old Warsaw pact members has put nato on Russia's door step.

Im not defending the way Russia behaves but it's not hard for putin to sell to his people that his actions are in defense of russia.

That doesn't mean it's not a U.S. problem

5 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Its really only a nato problem because nato has been creeping closer and closer to russia since the end on the cold war. Adding the baltic countries and the old Warsaw pact members has put nato on Russia's door step.

Im not defending the way Russia behaves but it's not hard for putin to sell to his people that his actions are in defense of russia.

Ummmm.....that doesn't back up your earlier statement.

2 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I know but it didn't have to be and i don't think it has to be since Ukraine will never be part of nato

At the time Russia first started causing problems in Ukraine, they also started flexing their muscles around Poland and other NATO members.  This is not an isolated incident.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I might be wrong but i couldn't care less if russia is flexing its muscles in a region that has always been in its sphere of influence. It sucks for the people of Ukraine and a lot countries that used to be part of the ussr but it shouldn't be the US's problem.

Russia becoming more powerful and taking more territory is definitely a U.S. problem. A strong NATO benefits us. A strong Russia does the opposite.

We want those countries to be NATO countries. We want as few countries like Russia to exist as possible and as few countries to be their allies as possible. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Russia becoming more powerful and taking more territory is definitely a U.S. problem. A strong NATO benefits us. A strong Russia does the opposite.

We want those countries to be NATO countries. We want as few countries like Russia to exist as possible and as few countries to be their allies as possible. 

yep....Reagan defeated the soviet union....now donnie is letting them rebuild.

47 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree that a strong nato benefits the United States. Im just not sold that adding countries like the baltic states of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia or maybe Ukraine some day makes nato stronger or the United States safer. Sure it putting nato's military capabilities closer to Russia has its benefits but you also have to weigh that against possibly provoking a Russian response.

I'm a moron and I'm probably wrong about most geopolitical opinions i have. But lets say nato announces it's going to hold a vote on adding ukraine or Georgia (not the state) and in response russia invades and kills thousands of people? Again I'm dumb and just like talking with you guys but to me it just seems like the possible juice isn't worth the squeeze.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm a moron and I'm probably wrong about most geopolitical opinions i have. But lets say nato announces it's going to hold a vote on adding ukraine or Georgia (not the state) and in response russia invades and kills thousands of people? Again I'm dumb and just like talking with you guys but to me it just seems like the possible juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Well...Trump has said if he were President, Russia would never do that.....so, there's that.

• Plus1 1