Russia

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You realize that in 2020 they issued more leases than in previous years?

Would it be easier to be energy independent if we used more or less petroleum products?

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/us-energy-facts/imports-and-exports.php

This. And, companies are more and more hesitant to invest in massive oil projects. 

In 20 years, a huge % of cars will be electric. Companies aren't eager to invest billions into a dying industry.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This. And, companies are more and more hesitant to invest in massive oil projects. 

In 20 years, a huge % of cars will be electric. Companies aren't eager to invest billions into a dying industry.

Auto makers will stop producing internal-combustion engine cars within 10 years. Yes, there will be a huge amount of ICE cars for a while after that, but auto makers aren't investing in the cars of yesterday. 

• Plus1 1

I really don't think Putin realized just how many other countries/people would go against him when he did this.

This is going to be the biggest underdog victory since Buster Douglas beat Tyson.

Putin has now literally put himself in a no win situation with one country that would help, North Korea, which has one major problem.   If those NK soldiers ever left NK they would all just start running and never look back.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really don't think Putin realized just how many other countries/people would go against him when he did this.

This is going to be the biggest underdog victory since Buster Douglas beat Tyson.

Putin has now literally put himself in a no win situation with one country that would help, North Korea, which has one major problem.   If those NK soldiers ever left NK they would all just start running and never look back.

He appears to be on a suicide mission.  Dictators almost always overreach.   For Putin the best case scenario is only his economy crashes and he doesn't end up Nicolae Ceaușescu 2.0.  I just hope he doesn't lob the bomb first

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Probably not the best time to have a leader as weak as Biden in the White House.

43 minutes ago, Apathy said:

Notice how he didn’t invade under the previous administration? Putin waited til there was a potato in office

So it was better to have a US President who was Putin’s lapdog and who swallowed every last drop?  Do you really think Putin was afraid of Trump?:lol:

And tell me @Apathy, what else should Biden be doing? Bombing Russia? Boots on the ground in Ukraine? Please tell us what else the potato should be doing.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's really a sad that something as objectively awful and serious like this just devolves into the same old partisan points-scoring exercise all of our politics somehow turn into. It'd be nice if something with such drastic effects on the entire developed world and with such easily diagnosed good guys and bad guys could just unite Team Blue and Team Red in unanimously saying "This is bad" together and working together to fight it.

And yet, here we are.

The fact that someone brought up investigating Hunter Biden as this war starts and innocent people are killed by an insane, power hungry tyrant shows the absolute lack of ability for some Americans to use their brains for critical thinking.  JFC.  What an embarrassment.

• Plus1 6
13 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So it was better to have a US President who was Putin’s lapdog and who swallowed every last drop?  Do you really think Putin was afraid of Trump?:lol:

And tell me @Apathy, what else should Biden be doing? Bombing Russia? Boots on the ground in Ukraine? Please tell us what else the potato should be doing.

we should be doing what trump would have done...send troops over to help Vlad secure Ukraine for Russia

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

What on earth are you rambling about?  I didn't say anything about Trump.  He just needs to shut the f#&% up.

My concern is whether or not Biden is competent enough to manage this crisis so that it doesn't escalate to where we can't afford it to escalate.

Whether or not Trump could is a bit of a moot point since, ya know, he isn't in office.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What on earth are you rambling about?  I didn't say anything about Trump.  He just needs to shut the f#&% up.

My concern is whether or not Biden is competent enough to manage this crisis so that it doesn't escalate to where we can't afford it to escalate.

Whether or not Trump could is a bit of a moot point since, ya know, he isn't in office.

You called Biden weak. You didn't say you were concerned about whether he's competent enough. So far I'm not sure what he could have done better other than a couple comments that bothered me, e.g. the one about Russia having a big army.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sorry, maybe I read more into your comment than was intended. I don’t disagree that Joe is weak. But that type of statement usually comes from those who thought Trump was somehow better. Heck, I’d take somebody like GW at this point in time.

But I also don’t know what else any President could do at this time. I don’t think the American people are ready to commit our troops to another war. Ukraine is not a NATO member. Seems to me economic sanctions are about the extent of what we can or are willing to do. We can support Ukraine with weapons and intel but that’s about it imo.

• Plus1 1