Russia

25 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

A comment I’ve been seeing is Putin wanting to take more than Ukraine. From what I’ve read today, It seems like he’s way over estimating the Russian people and the Russian army’s appetite for that. 

You know if we set aside how likely we think they are to succeed by sheer numbers alone so far this has been a fairly embarrassing showing for the Russian armed forces so far.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You know if we set aside how likely we think they are to succeed by sheer numbers alone so far this has been a fairly embarrassing showing for the Russian armed forces so far.

I can’t imagine Russians are too fired up to be shooting their neighbors just because their president has small d!(k syndrome - I could be wrong. I’m sure Ukrainians are much more fired up to kill people attacking their home. 

• Plus1 1

People that are calling Biden weak...

Granted, I'm very far from an expert on this, but do you not consider Trump weak in the same way? Both are... for lack of a better term, limited to some degree in their cognitive ability to make the wisest decisions all on their own. But, the distinction is that Biden has a career and a legacy and reputation of competency - if not to you, at least to Washington. Weak though the individual may be, if they're surrounded by some degree of competency in their cabinet and advisors, then who cares? Trump wasn't - he was surrounded by opportunists who knew how to exploit his weakness which was primarily praise and adoration. Biden's weakness seems to be more in the lane of leaning into the existing infrastructure, and while there's a good conversation to be had for fresh blood and new perspectives in D.C., I don't know how Biden's administration (ignore the man) can be handling this any better at current.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

Isn't the reason a president has a cabinet and staff to support him in areas that he/she may not be 100% the most expert in?  I mean until TFG, regardless of what I thought of the president and his party, I felt for the most part they surrounded themselves with competent, career experts - and anyone who doesn't hire folks better than them is not very smart.  Nobody makes it very far in a career (vs a job) without acknowledging that they can learn from others, step back sometimes and let someone more experienced to run the show.

Trump was many things (all negative imo but that's another thread) but the problem with his time in office is that he surrounded himself with yes men, and he thought he was the smartest at EVERYTHING.  Literally the man has filled camera time with a long list of things that nobody knows more about than himself.

We are partially in this situation with Ukraine because of the yes men Trump had around him - Vlad's gained a lot of power and confidence when tfg was drooling over him the last administration.  

George W. Bush:  ""Russia's attack on Ukraine constitutes the gravest security crisis on the European continent since World War II," said former President George W. Bush. "I join the international community in condemning Vladimir Putin's unprovoked and unjustified invasion of Ukraine. The American government and people must stand in solidarity with Ukraine and the Ukrainian people as they seek freedom and the right to choose their own future. We cannot tolerate the authoritarian bullying and danger that Putin poses."

Bill Clinton:  "Putin's "war of choice has unraveled 30 years of diplomacy and put millions of innocent lives in grave danger." 

"The world will hold Russia and Russia alone accountable, both economically and politically, for its brazen violation of international law. I stand with the people of Ukraine and am praying for their safety," 

Barack Obama:  "Russia launched an attack on Ukraine "not because Ukraine posed a threat to Russia, but because the people of Ukraine chose a path of sovereignty, self-determination, and democracy.  For some time now, we have seen the forces of division and authoritarianism make headway around the world, mounting an assault on the ideals of democracy, rule of law, equality, individual liberty, freedom of expression and worship, and self-determination," Obama said. "Russia's invasion of Ukraine shows where these dangerous trends can lead – and why they cannot be left unchallenged."

Jimmy Carter:  "Russia's "unprovoked attack on Ukraine using military and cyber weapons violates international law and the fundamental human rights of the Ukrainian people.  I condemn this unjust assault on the sovereignty of Ukraine that threatens security in Europe and the entire world, and I call on President Putin to halt all military action and restore peace," Carter said. "The United States and its allies must stand with the people of Ukraine in support of their right to peace, security, and self-determination."

Donald Trump:  Has made no formal statement, but instead has done a mini tour on Fox and other "friendly" news outlets.  "This all happened because of a rigged election," he claimed to Fox News host Laura Ingraham. "The situation is a terrible thing, but Putin wanted to do something and negotiate and it just got worse and worse, and then he saw the weakness. And you know it really started, I think with the weakness in Afghanistan."  At a Mar-a-Lago fundraiser Wednesday evening, before the assault began, Trump called Putin "pretty smart" in "taking over a country for $2 worth of sanctions."

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Isn't the reason a president has a cabinet and staff to support him in areas that he/she may not be 100% the most expert in?  I mean until TFG, regardless of what I thought of the president and his party, I felt for the most part they surrounded themselves with competent, career experts - and anyone who doesn't hire folks better than them is not very smart.  Nobody makes it very far in a career (vs a job) without acknowledging that they can learn from others, step back sometimes and let someone more experienced to run the show.

Trump was many things (all negative imo but that's another thread) but the problem with his time in office is that he surrounded himself with yes men, and he thought he was the smartest at EVERYTHING.  Literally the man has filled camera time with a long list of things that nobody knows more about than himself.

We are partially in this situation with Ukraine because of the yes men Trump had around him - Vlad's gained a lot of power and confidence when tfg was drooling over him the last administration.  

George W. Bush:  ""Russia's attack on Ukraine constitutes the gravest security crisis on the European continent since World War II," said former President George W. Bush. "I join the international community in condemning Vladimir Putin's unprovoked and unjustified invasion of Ukraine. The American government and people must stand in solidarity with Ukraine and the Ukrainian people as they seek freedom and the right to choose their own future. We cannot tolerate the authoritarian bullying and danger that Putin poses."

Bill Clinton:  "Putin's "war of choice has unraveled 30 years of diplomacy and put millions of innocent lives in grave danger." 

"The world will hold Russia and Russia alone accountable, both economically and politically, for its brazen violation of international law. I stand with the people of Ukraine and am praying for their safety," 

Barack Obama:  "Russia launched an attack on Ukraine "not because Ukraine posed a threat to Russia, but because the people of Ukraine chose a path of sovereignty, self-determination, and democracy.  For some time now, we have seen the forces of division and authoritarianism make headway around the world, mounting an assault on the ideals of democracy, rule of law, equality, individual liberty, freedom of expression and worship, and self-determination," Obama said. "Russia's invasion of Ukraine shows where these dangerous trends can lead – and why they cannot be left unchallenged."

Jimmy Carter:  "Russia's "unprovoked attack on Ukraine using military and cyber weapons violates international law and the fundamental human rights of the Ukrainian people.  I condemn this unjust assault on the sovereignty of Ukraine that threatens security in Europe and the entire world, and I call on President Putin to halt all military action and restore peace," Carter said. "The United States and its allies must stand with the people of Ukraine in support of their right to peace, security, and self-determination."

Donald Trump:  Has made no formal statement, but instead has done a mini tour on Fox and other "friendly" news outlets.  "This all happened because of a rigged election," he claimed to Fox News host Laura Ingraham. "The situation is a terrible thing, but Putin wanted to do something and negotiate and it just got worse and worse, and then he saw the weakness. And you know it really started, I think with the weakness in Afghanistan."  At a Mar-a-Lago fundraiser Wednesday evening, before the assault began, Trump called Putin "pretty smart" in "taking over a country for $2 worth of sanctions."

That is a great example of the total incompetence of TFG. 

• Plus1 3

After the images of the siege of Kyiv come out what will be the political consequences be for the Trumpist Putin apologists?  It seems siding with a murderous dictator who invaded sovereign nations wouldn't play well in the court of public opinion but maybe "own the libs" is more important.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Scarlet said:

After the images of the siege of Kyiv come out what will be the political consequences be for the Trumpist Putin apologists?  It seems siding with a murderous dictator who invaded sovereign nations wouldn't play well in the court of public opinion but maybe "own the libs" is more important.

Owning the libs is the most important life goal. 

• Plus1 1