Russia

@Moiraine I've been trying to figure out what the hell happened to Russian military we feared so much over the years. By all accounts they should have steamrolled Ukraine by now and we should be seeing bloody urban combat on a massive scale. They don't have air superiority, can't take airports, have now apparently lost 2 massive troop transport planes that could have had almost 200 soldiers onboard, and have had several units surrendering.

I think Russian might it's all been a farce. They are who they've always been. A massive army, a few high tech vehicles, and nukes; but that's it. Their equipment overall has looked like pure junk. Most of the trucks look like they're 50 years old, if not more. Their "armoured" personnel carriers look like they just slapped some steal plates on an RV and towed it with a truck. The BMPs you see are a essentially a 60 year old design... It's weird because I thought they were a truly modern military.

Also I've read that the US telegraphing the Russians battle plans has caused them not to follow their typical tactics. That or they are trying not to level cities and thought they could cause an uprising to support their efforts. Either way they are advancing on areas that they never really softened up with artillery and air strikes, which is a recipe for disaster no in matter the army. This is all looks like a massive blunder for them. But yesterday I believe Ukraine reported they had still suffered more casualties than the Russians.

4 minutes ago, ZRod said:

@Moiraine I've been trying to figure out what the hell happened to Russian military we feared so much over the years. By all accounts they should have steamrolled Ukraine by now and we should be seeing bloody urban combat on a massive scale. They don't have air superiority, can't take airports, have now apparently lost 2 massive troop transport planes that could have had almost 200 soldiers onboard, and have had several units surrendering.

I think Russian might it's all been a farce. They are who they've always been. A massive army, a few high tech vehicles, and nukes; but that's it. Their equipment overall has looked like pure junk. Most of the trucks look like they're 50 years old, if not more. Their "armoured" personnel carriers look like they just slapped some steal plates on an RV and towed it with a truck. The BMPs you see are a essentially a 60 year old design... It's weird because I thought they were a truly modern military.

Also I've read that the US telegraphing the Russians battle plans has caused them not to follow their typical tactics. That or they are trying not to level cities and thought they could cause an uprising to support their efforts. Either way they are advancing on areas that they never really softened up with artillery and air strikes, which is a recipe for disaster no in matter the army. This is all looks like a massive blunder for them. But yesterday I believe Ukraine reported they had still suffered more casualties than the Russians.

I can't figure any of it out. I just did a search on their military equipment and this is from a recent NYT article, but it was written before the war started:

Not all the forces arrayed along the Ukrainian border are Russia’s most advanced. The ones amassed in the north have older weaponry and are mostly there to intimidate and stretch Ukrainian resources, said Oleksiy Arestovych, a former Ukrainian military intelligence officer who is now a political and military analyst.

The more well-equipped and modernized units, he said, have moved into the area close to two breakaway provinces in Ukraine’s east, where Russia instigated a separatist war in 2014 that continues today.

But if this is true... why use it to actually attack Kharkiv and Kiev? Are they that arrogant? Is the point still just to take the southeastern region and not allow the Ukrainian army to go there? I am guessing the author didn't think they would actually (at least by appearance) try to take Kiev and Kharkiv. And speaking of the southern region, I haven't heard they've advanced far there either. They have not taken Mariupol (although that may happen soon) or Dnipro. 

I also wonder if Ukraine has more equipment than Russia realized, or if Russia thought they wouldn't get more. There are several countries (at a minimum, France, Germany, The Netherlands, and the U.S.) funneling equipment through Poland. I believe I read the U.S. is sending them more javelins.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You've invoked "aid and comfort" a bunch of times now, presumably to imply that these actions rise to the level of treason. But it's just silly as the US is not at war nor are those you're referencing aiding anyone taking up arms against the US.

We can agree these people are propagandists for Russia, but that doesn't mean it automatically jumps to the level of treason.

I get the technical definition.  f#&% the semantics. Putin is at war with humanity. Putin is at war with democracy and peace. He's killing innocent people unprovoked.

These traitors singing Putin's praises that Russian State media uses as propaganda are giving aid and comfort.  What will you call it when he crosses the line and attacks a NATO country?  He's already attacked the US though cyber warfare, interfering in our elections and a massive disinformation campaign.

So yeah, they're providing aid and comfort.  Full stop.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Never knew that former heavyweight boxing champ Vitali Klitschko was the mayor of Kyiev, and that he and his fellow heavyweight boxing champ brother Wladimir have every intention of dying on the front line in defense of their capitol. 

There was a great story on he and his brother and their politics when he went back over initally - 60 mins or something.  I'll have to go looking for it - it was excellent.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I get the technical definition.  f#&% the semantics. Putin is at war with humanity. Putin is at war with democracy and peace. He's killing innocent people unprovoked.

These traitors singing Putin's praises that Russian State media uses as propaganda are giving aid and comfort.  What will you call it when he crosses the line and attacks a NATO country?  He's already attacked the US though cyber warfare, interfering in our elections and a massive disinformation campaign.

So yeah, they're providing aid and comfort.  Full stop.

He's also attacked via economic warfare cutting of world Nitrogen supplies, eight when farmers need them. He's destabilizing our crop production, our largest export. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Feel free to check the receipts, anyone who wants to defend TFG...

r4g26uy8g1k81.png

And this I guess

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1K10VI

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2018/09/25/on-the-record-the-u-s-administrations-actions-on-russia/amp/

and of course we all wanted out of Syria correct.   Wonder why people are spreading false Russian disinformation on hb? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I was told winning a trade war was easy.

The team TFG was playing for did win and it was easy. Putin knew he was going to start a war. He needed to reinforce and insulate his economy in order to survive sanctions. 

China and Russia are clearly in cahoots on this. China decided it wants to economically support Russia. But how? Purchase Russian grain. Even better doing so hurts the US. But just switching would be strange and raise significant concerns.

So TFG's handlers get him to knowing or unknowing go along with this ploy by starting a trade war with China. Giving them the perfect cover to use their economic power to support Russia over the US. 

• Plus1 4