Russia

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honest question: who or what does a molotov cocktail stop? 

I’ve no direct knowledge but based on the movies, they wouldn’t be too pleasant if they make it into the door hatch of a tank or to the inside of a vehicle. I get the question though, they seem relatively harmless. I guess  if you lob enough of them a few will find a good target.

22 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honest question: who or what does a molotov cocktail stop? 

I think their purpose is founded in their design concept i.e. a low tech incendiary grenade that can be produced in mass very quickly and easily. You lob 50 of those at an advancing unit and you cut off their path and slow their advance. They can also incapacitate small light or unarmored vehicles. 'Better to have them than not have them' kind of approach.

They're also easily crafted by civilians whom may not have access to other more advanced types of weaponry. That's why rioters/protesters have used them for a long time.

The only thing that feels certain is that nothing is certain.

It's encouraging to hear that Russian and Ukranian delegates are scheduled to meet today, despite Putin's new nuclear threat flex and no apparent cease fire. But there's a lot of posturing and propaganda happening in general right now.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've been saying the Vladimir Putin isn't stupid or illogical or suicidal. He is cagey and cryptic but knows exactly what he's doing.

But I've since heard veteran Putin watchers say this is a different Vlad, who appears to be going off the rails. 

Ive heard a couple times this am from multiple sources that he isn't healthy - perhaps he's got nothing to lose now?

The Ukraine defense minister is saying they have killed 4,000 Russians.

The U.S. lost 4,431 soldiers in Iraq. It's a different war but that's through the entirety of the war, not in the first 3 days. Imagine what our reaction would be right now if we had lost that many soldiers by day 3 in a war we didn't need to start.

• Plus1 2