Russia

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The worry is that any direct EU/NATO involvement in the conflict would give Putin the excuse to launch nukes. Analysts are pretty much in agreement that he'll do it.

He's at the end of his career and he's a megalomaniac enough to feel like the world has no purpose without him in it.

But where is the line in the sand?  Can Biden hold tight at that line being an attack on a NATO member or does it change once the images of a Ukrainian holocaust start rolling in? 

I don't have an answer but I think soon we're all going to have to grapple with the morality of staying out or going in and triggering a madman who might lob a nuke.  He might do so even if sanctions pressure an uprising or assassination attempt within Russia

I'm just hoping I'm wrong and that the Ukrainians can stave off such an onslaught.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

But where is the line in the sand?  Can Biden hold tight at that line being an attack on a NATO member or does it change once the images of a Ukrainian holocaust start rolling in? 

I don't have an answer but I think soon we're all going to have to grapple with the morality of staying out or going in and triggering a madman who might lob a nuke.  He might do so even if sanctions pressure an uprising or assassination attempt within Russia

I'm just hoping I'm wrong and that the Ukrainians can stave off such an onslaught.

I am not a "hawk" when it comes to foreign policy.  I was happy to see US troops leave Afghanistan even if it was a clusterf#&%.  

But we are only a week in and I am ready for US troops (along with other NATO of course) to march in and fight off the invasion.  Ukraine is currently a "stable" government.  If the world waits for Ukraine to fall, NATO may just find itself in a long quagmire trying to instill a new democracy in a region filled with conflicting interests.  The Ukrainians want to keep Ukraine, I say the world helps them do that by any means necessary.

Good thing I'm not a world leader...

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

There is a line in the sand if you are a compassionate human.

At the very least I think the US, if it comes to that, needs to verbally make the threat of using nukes as well.  Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

What's stopping the US from supplying some planes that "just so happen" to be piloted by USAF pilots?  Could we dress them as Ukrainian and have them bomb the s#!t out of these convoys?  

What if we aim some missiles at the convoy from a base in Poland? Trained NATO troops set up everything and just have some Ukrainian refugee pull the trigger.  Would that be okay as far as all these treaties go?