Russia

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That sucks and I don’t understand it at the oil prices we are seeing. 

Sad thing is, how do you force them to drill more?

He also said about a month ago that companies will need to up production to meet the demand and lower prices.   

6 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Oh, it's absolutely a dry run for China potentially invading Taiwan; they're sitting back and taking copious notes as to what the reaction would be. 

Well, China has certainly figured out that invasion = unpopular.  Strategically I don't see it.  China has an ocean problem.  

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's in the Supreme Court?  I don't know many district court judges that young.  I also can't imagine it from SCOTUS.  Maybe Kavanaugh would wield a sniper rifle.  

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would love for us to create a no fly zone over Ukraine.  However, when I have those feelings, I'm not taking into consideration how that escalated our aggression towards Russia and what that means.

I wonder if that is a code word for entering the war.  Russia's invasion is largely ground forces.  If neither side could fly it probably doesn't change the outcome.  And if Ukraine gets a good amount of actual fighter jets, instead of promises, then Putin will really rue the day he thought his forces were prepared. 

30 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

He also said about a month ago that companies will need to up production to meet the demand and lower prices.   

I think we would all agree things have changed in the last month.

But, let's look back at the original conversation.  There are people who think Biden has total control over this and he's the reason why the US hasn't increased production faster.

That's just flat out false.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just a personal fear I have. I have raw materials that are only made in China. That’s the only place in the world. If China starts playing hard ball, my entire industry might be shut down. 

My industry fabs chips in Taiwan. If China invades there and levels it, we are all in a world of hurt. I doubt they would do it. They would have to rebuild and by that time the fabs in the states would kick in too.  The gov is already getting fabs re-established for security reasons. The Chinese are already infiltrating the fabrication of chips with circuits built to snoop. We should open more fabs back here anyway. Still doesn’t solve the raw material problem.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That thread in the tweet you posted just shows what a clusterf#&% the Russian army is proving to be.  Corruption, low morale, piss poor logistical planning, virtually no opsec.   It makes one wonder how much more our intelligence services know that is playing into letting Russia slow bleed in this quagmire Putin dove into.  Why risk Putin lobbing some nukes if Russia can't even run over Ukraine in short order?  Why give China a reason to get their Jimmies rustled?  Of course the humanitarian crisis makes it hard to not want to jump in on our part but is it best to stay the course?  Whatever course we take it's not an easy decision.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Trust me, we are plenty ready to provide air support and enforce a no fly zone on short notice. That is all I’m proposing and all Ukraine is requesting. Obviously we do not have a ground invasion force ready. I’m thinking wings in the sky, not boots on the ground.

On possible issue with this is if we put our pilots in the sky and they are forced to engage Russian pilots to enforce the no fly zone.  Does that now put us directly into the conflict in Russia’s (maybe China’s) view?  

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

On possible issue with this is if we put our pilots in the sky and they are forced to engage Russian pilots to enforce the no fly zone.  Does that now put us directly into the conflict in Russia’s (maybe China’s) view?  

Yes, I would absolutely expect them to take that as being in direct conflict with them. I would expect enforcing a no fly zone would lead to direct engagement with them in the air. I might make some strafing runs down that convoy line too and that would leave no question.

Apparently (based on a random tweet) Russia has given its demands to Ukraine ahead of the talks and they're what anyone would guess.

1. Change constitution to state they will never join NATO or EU

2. Recognize that Crimea belongs to Russia

3. Recognize that Donetsk and Luhansk are independent states

As much as I want the war to end, I wouldn't take this deal unless they got rid of #1. I would definitely take it if it was only 2 and 3 but I'm not Ukrainian.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I have considered what an escalation could possibly mean and I’m still for it.

What Russia is doing in Ukraine just should not be allowed. I say F Putin and do what’s right. If that ends the planet….it is what it is. We’re all going to die some day.

Yeah, I'd rather not watch my kids turn to ash in a nuclear cloud, or whither away during a nuclear winter. 

If you are that prepared for the end, the Ukrainian foreign legion is looking for defenders. Or I'll give you a crisp $100 bill to go all Jason Bourne and hunt down Putin yourself. You could end it all, just like that. 

25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn't the US issue a report that Ukraine still maintained air superiority??? It seems like a no fly zone would be detrimental if they have superiority. 

1 hour ago, nic said:

My industry fabs chips in Taiwan. If China invades there and levels it, we are all in a world of hurt. I doubt they would do it. They would have to rebuild and by that time the fabs in the states would kick in too.  The gov is already getting fabs re-established for security reasons. The Chinese are already infiltrating the fabrication of chips with circuits built to snoop. We should open more fabs back here anyway. Still doesn’t solve the raw material problem.

That was the rumor when one of those 3 letter companies announced a chip manufacturing plants in Phoenix.  Of course the official explanation involved lot's of politicians smiling in front of an empty lot.