Russia

25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yeah, I'd rather not watch my kids turn to ash in a nuclear cloud, or whither away during a nuclear winter. 

If you are that prepared for the end, the Ukrainian foreign legion is looking for defenders. Or I'll give you a crisp $100 bill to go all Jason Bourne and hunt down Putin yourself. You could end it all, just like that. 

Sorry but I’ve had my fill of seeing innocent Ukrainians blown up simply trying to flee for their lives. If helping them out causes Putin to start launching, that’s on him/them and not us for doing the right thing. TBH I don’t think he’s crazy, I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he made the nuclear threat. If that’s all it takes to keep the US uninvolved, we might as well submit to Russia now.

Even if I was Jason Bourne and there were hundreds more like me, that does not have the same impact as the USAF.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Didn't the US issue a report that Ukraine still maintained air superiority??? It seems like a no fly zone would be detrimental if they have superiority. 

i haven't seen any report like that.   i did see a report that said russia didn't have air superiority yet.    but i think the wrong terms are being used.   russia does have air superiority...what they don't have is air supremacy.  ukraine still has air defenses left....but their air force can't go out and blow up that stalled column.

49 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Didn't the US issue a report that Ukraine still maintained air superiority??? It seems like a no fly zone would be detrimental if they have superiority. 

I don’t think Ukraine would be asking for us to help provide a no fly zone if it was detrimental to their cause. I could be wrong :dunno

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

That was the rumor when one of those 3 letter companies announced a chip manufacturing plants in Phoenix.  Of course the official explanation involved lot's of politicians smiling in front of an empty lot. 

They are building the facilities for the chips right now.  I drove by it a couple of weeks ago and the size of the place is very impressive.  I have a friend that is a part of the company that is building it and she was saying that the generators that they are bringing in are right at $2.5 million per and they expect to have around 100 or so of them.  

50 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

That was the rumor when one of those 3 letter companies announced a chip manufacturing plants in Phoenix.  Of course the official explanation involved lot's of politicians smiling in front of an empty lot. 

They are building the facilities for the chips right now.  I drove by it a couple of weeks ago and the size of the place is very impressive.  I have a friend that is a part of the company that is building it and she was saying that the generators that they are bringing in are right at $2.5 million per and they expect to have around 100 or so of them.  

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Sorry but I’ve had my fill of seeing innocent Ukrainians blown up simply trying to flee for their lives. If helping them out causes Putin to start launching, that’s on him/them and not us for doing the right thing. TBH I don’t think he’s crazy, I think he knew exactly what he was doing when he made the nuclear threat. If that’s all it takes to keep the US uninvolved, we might as well submit to Russia now.

Even if I was Jason Bourne and there were hundreds more like me, that does not have the same impact as the USAF.

Your chances of living are much higher if our military gets more involved than if you decide to join the Ukrainian army. It's just the chance that is scary, so not getting involved is the least dangerous option. Although I feel inevitably we'd have to step in when he invades some other country.

One thing I've been thinking about for awhile... what if they did launch a nuke? What would/should we do? Do we gain anything by nuking Moscow? Do we try to bombard any place in Russia that may have nukes? I feel we have to just hope nobody is crazy enough to do it again. Putin probably isn't even in Moscow.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Your chances of living are much higher if our military gets more involved because he probably isn't that crazy. It's just the chance that is scary.

One thing I've been thinking about for awhile... what if they did launch a nuke? What would/should we do? Do we gain anything by nuking Moscow? Do we try to bombard any place in Russia that may have nukes? I feel we have to just hope nobody is crazy enough to do it again. Putin probably isn't even in Moscow.

It’s a scary prospect for sure. I understand that maybe he hasn’t crossed the threshold for some Americans yet and I can appreciate that. I’m older, I’ve got fewer years to lose. But for about the first 30 years of my life we lived under the potential threat of nuclear war with the Russkies during the cold war. It got a lot closer than a verbal threat quite a few times. But when I see a young family blown up or gunned  down just because they were trying to get away, I can’t help but feel we could do a bit more. The Russians were always good at bluffing. If memory serves, whenever we called their bluff they backed down.

If nukes actually start flying, nobody is going to win.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s a scary prospect for sure. I understand that maybe he hasn’t crossed the threshold for some Americans yet and I can appreciate that. I’m older, I’ve got fewer years to lose. But for about the first 30 years of my life we lived under the potential threat of nuclear war with the Russkies during the cold war. It got a lot closer than a verbal threat quite a few times. But when I see a young family blown up or gunned  down just because they were trying to get away, I can’t help but feel we could do a bit more. The Russians were always good at bluffing. If memory serves, whenever we called their bluff they backed down.

If nukes actually start flying, nobody is going to win.

Believe me, I feel exactly the same way as you.  I'm so pissed off at what is happening in Ukraine.  I'm just glad I'm not the one who has to make the decisions and I hope the ones who are, are weighing everything very carefully.  I think they are.

17 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I have considered what an escalation could possibly mean and I’m still for it.

What Russia is doing in Ukraine just should not be allowed. I say F Putin and do what’s right. If that ends the planet….it is what it is. We’re all going to die some day.

Yes, I sometimes think we may want to call Putin's bluff-- he knows if he fires a nuke he'll get 500 back at him.  So, what are we to do when he invades the Baltics or Finland or...... and he uses the same bluff :dunno   Ultimately, it comes down to either  - cooler heads convincing he needs to back down or he gets overthrown by his own people  because the Ukrainians are not going to let him have their land and the Russian population rises up in revolts as a result.  Unless he wants to repeats Stalin's legacy, how many people can he put in jails or worse in this era of modern media?

The Russian Military is a house of cards outside of having the nuke capability   

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I sometimes think we may want to call Putin's bluff-- he knows if he fires a nuke he'll get 500 back at him.  So, what are we to do when he invades the Baltics or Finland or...... and he uses the same bluff :dunno   Ultimately, it comes down to either  - cooler heads convincing he needs to back down or he gets overthrown by his own people  because the Ukrainians are not going to let him have their land and the Russian population rises up in revolts as a result.  Unless he wants to repeats Stalin's legacy, how many people can he put in jails or worse in this era of modern media?

The Russian Military is a house of cards outside of having the nuke capability   

The logistics of this war have been the most enlightening thing for me. I guess, vaguely, I understand that you need equipment to get bullets & rations from rear positions to the front lines, but when I thought of war, that was never one of the first things I thought of. 

Clearly that's the case with Putin and his cronies, too. 

And I'm reading that a lot of the money that was supposed to go to mundane things like trucks and maintenance instead went into the pockets of the oligarchs, and is now manifested in luxury yachts - which are being seized around the world. 

We all know the phrase, "An army marches on its stomach." This war is teaching us laymen the reality of that. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It's unfortunate that Democrats are going to be blown out this November because the "Biden is weak" narrative has already taken hold, as evidenced by the posts by the Conservative members of this board.

While Biden and the Democratic Party are going to pay a heavy political toll for all of this - they aren't going to control the Senate again for more than a decade - at least we can find solace in the fact that when the world faced a crisis, the President did the right thing by working with our Western allies to confront it in the best way possible. We may have lost the political war to Republicans, God help us, but at least competence helped take down Russia.

Unlike Trump voters, who are shameless, should be horrified at his pathetic response to COVID, his staffs relationship to Russia, his love affair with Putin, and how he tried to use Ukraine to dig up dirt on a rival. Way to go Trump voters, you couldn't have elected a bigger historical joke.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, nic said:

My industry fabs chips in Taiwan. If China invades there and levels it, we are all in a world of hurt. I doubt they would do it. They would have to rebuild and by that time the fabs in the states would kick in too.  The gov is already getting fabs re-established for security reasons. The Chinese are already infiltrating the fabrication of chips with circuits built to snoop. We should open more fabs back here anyway. Still doesn’t solve the raw material problem.

Perhaps you and @BigRedBuster can't answer this, but are you in favor of the proposed CHIPS Act in Congress? Does it go far enough to address the manufacturing of semiconductors? 

I don't know much about the industry, so I'm genuinely curious about your thoughts.