Russia

We're hearing conflicting reports about the status of the Movska.

He's not necessarily sunk, but he appears to have had what we in naval circles call "a bad day."

EDIT - took down the tweet because that was not, as purported, actual video of the missile strike. 

A Time for Choosing - China version.   Yellen sounds pretty 'presidential' in this speech.  (no she's not running for president).  It is time for China to chose their long term alliances - remain wt the disgraced Russian 'friend' or become a healthy member of the overall global community.  Due to their form of govt, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to choose the later option. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yellen-challenges-china-moment-choosing-205505766.html

Bloomberg) -- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen has sketched out her vision for a new era of economic cooperation among nations that share key values and principles, in a sweeping speech that laid down a stern challenge to China.

Yellen, speaking a week before global finance chiefs meet in Washington, called Beijing to account for its ever-closer relationship with Moscow and blasted China for practices that “unfairly damage” the national-security interests of others. She alluded to the use of market positions -- China is a key provider of crucial rare-earth metals -- for “geopolitical leverage.”

While she said she didn’t want the evolution of a “bipolar” global system between U.S.-led and China-led elements, the Treasury chief said that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine marked a moment where nations need to decide where they sit. “The future of our international order, both for peaceful security and economic prosperity, is at stake,” she said.

“The key section for me was the ‘fence-sitting’ section calling out China -- that they should not be helping Russia economically in this moment,” said Josh Lipsky, director of the GeoEconomics Center at the Atlantic Council, where Yellen spoke. It was “an implicit warning to other countries, who are unnamed in the speech, that this is a moment for choosing.”

Yellen laid out a number of proposals or warnings without detailing specifically what Washington is seeking:

• “Modernize” the approach to trade integration that deepens economic efficiences but protects workers and favors “friend-shoring” -- where supply chains are made up of “trusted” countries

• Potentially revamp the governance of the International Monetary Fund “to ensure that it reflects both the current global economy and also members’ commitments to the IMF’s underlying principles and objectives”

• “Revisit our strategies, policies, and institutions to better mobilize capital in support of people in developing countries,” where funding needs are seen in the trillions of dollars, not billions. Private capital can be better mobilized, in a world so “awash” with savings that interest rates have been dropping for decades

Yellen also said she’ll convene a meeting of top international financial officials next week to address a global food-security crisis stemming from record prices for agricultural goods in the wake of Russia’s Ukraine invasion.

51 minutes ago, nic said:

Hopefully Finland and Sweden use the same response as the soldiers on snake island. 

Russia threatens Finland and Sweden with nuclear deterrence if they join NATO.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61066503

I think we have seen that the Russian military and political/economic system is a paper tiger.  Their only real threat is nukes and in the use of nukes,  Russia would guaranty their own demise.  All nations should call their bluff and do what free nations should do -boldly stand together in opposition to tyranny.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

A Time for Choosing - China version.   Yellen sounds pretty 'presidential' in this speech.  (no she's not running for president).  It is time for China to chose their long term alliances - remain wt the disgraced Russian 'friend' or become a healthy member of the overall global community.  Due to their form of govt, I won't hold my breath waiting for them to choose the later option. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/yellen-challenges-china-moment-choosing-205505766.html

China and Russia both are currently propping up the murderous military regime in Myanmar.  China doesn't want any democracies on their borders as that scares the s#!t of them due to the optics shown to their own people what life is like in a free society.  A prosperous democracy on their border is viewed as destabilizing to their regime.  The CCP will never truly join the global community.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

We're hearing conflicting reports about the status of the Movska.

He's not necessarily sunk, but he appears to have had what we in naval circles call "a bad day."

EDIT - took down the tweet because that was not, as purported, actual video of the missile strike. 

It's been confirmed.  Fish habitat now.

:koolaid2:

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder when the last time a battle ship was sunk during a war. 

Edit: Found it, it was a Japanese ship sunk in 1944. 

Great job Russia.  

Wow really?  At some point this s#!t show Putin's military has put on display has to make us wonder what his nuclear capabilities really are.  I mean you'd hate to guess wrong but I could see them launching one and it not making it out of his backyard.