Russia

41 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

That isn't a good enough reason to not do it. This is war. They absolutely should do this. They need to use whatever weapons they have at their disposal. They aren't physically hurting someone with this action, they didn't start the war, and they aren't the ones who left their dead behind. That was Russia. It may be the only way Russians find out the truth of how the war has gone, and how little their government cares about their soldiers. And, obviously this isn't the point of it, but it may be the only way these families will get an inkling of what happened to their kids.

I don't agree, but thanks for your view

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand what you’re saying and the entire thing is horrific. 

But, at the same time, I don’t blame the Ukrainians for doing it. Should they instead send pictures of the dead Ukrainians their son killed?

they are trying to create anger towards Putin inside Russia. It’s worth trying. Russia invaded them and are slaughtering innocent civilians. I don’t have a problem with Ukrainians doing this.  

Do you think it's a viable tactic? I don't, and if any of those parents speak out they will get disappeared 

8 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't agree, but thanks for your view

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Do you think it's a viable tactic? I don't, and if any of those parents speak out they will get disappeared 

What would be a viable tactic to break through the Russian misinformation?

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What would be a viable tactic to break through the Russian misinformation?

Sending parents and loved ones graphic field photos of the dead soldiers is countering disinformation? In what way?

If they publicly published the photos for all to see maybe..? Are Russian soldiers parents and families being told their sons/daughters are alive? Winning the war? 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Sending parents and loved ones graphic field photos of the dead soldiers is countering disinformation? In what way?

If they publicly published the photos for all to see maybe..? Are Russian soldiers parents and families being told their sons/daughters are alive? Winning the war?

Yes and yes. In fact many weren’t even told they were going to a war. What makes it worse is a lot are conscripts. I’m not sure why you think soldiers’ families would be told more than the common Russian, and if you think they know what’s going on you’re mistaken.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Some googling on this would probably do you some good for the purposes of this conversation.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Would parents believe it was their child without the pictures? Would they think that they child had been captured and were forced to pose for pictures if the blood and gore had been cleaned up? 

As a father, it would be absolutely crushing to receive an image like that. If not for the image, I'd hold out hope that the Ukrainians were wrong and it was not my son. If they were cleaned up and laying on a table I would search the image for signs of life and hold out hope that it was a posed picture. If I could come to the conclusion that they were alive, but then never came home I would blame the Ukrainians for killing my son as a prisoner of war. If he was still in his army fatigues, laying where he fell, left behind by the his own Comrades, with the extent of his injuries obvious. It would leave no doubt. 

Which is more humane? I think I'd rather know than not, I think I'd rather not have false hope, so I could properly mourn. I think I would be thankful for to the Ukrainians for giving me that. Especially if it came with a note from the Ukrainian government with a message of sympathy.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand what you’re saying and the entire thing is horrific. 

But, at the same time, I don’t blame the Ukrainians for doing it. Should they instead send pictures of the dead Ukrainians their son killed?

they are trying to create anger towards Putin inside Russia. It’s worth trying. Russia invaded them and are slaughtering innocent civilians. I don’t have a problem with Ukrainians doing this.  

Yeah it’s horrific but I also understand UKR doing it and it serves a couple purposes no matter how unpleasant for the families. They will get the truth of what has happened to their sons and it could potentially provide deserved backlash against Putin by the Russian people. It’s gruesome but also maybe necessary.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yes and yes. In fact many weren’t even told they were going to a war. What makes it worse is a lot are conscripts. I’m not sure why you think soldiers’ families would be told more than the common Russian, and if you think they know what’s going on you’re mistaken.

Putin made military deaths classified information. Ukraine govt set up a hotline so Russian families can check on their family members. Personally what ever psych advantages Ukraine feels they need to use, is cool with me. Ukraine still has the moral high ground by a fairly large margin. 

27 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m not sure why you think soldiers’ families would be told more than the common Russian, and if you think they know what’s going on you’re mistaken.

I don't believe I said this, or alluded to it? As to Russian parents being lied to, in what way does this graphic notification serve any purpose? They'll report it to the local branch of the UN? 

• Plus1 1

Confirmed by the US. I wonder if this why Russia warned NATO and the US about continuing to arm Ukraine. They are a little ticked about losing their ship. :D Do we know what type of missiles were used? I bet Russia knows… and knows where they came from.

Two Ukrainian Neptune missiles hit the Moskva — Russia’s flagship in the Black Sea — earlier this week, a senior defense official said Friday.

A more detailed assessment from an American official said that the strike and subsequent sinking of the ship was the result of a Ukrainian missile.

CNN reported yesterday the US believed with “medium confidence” that Ukraine’s version of events regarding a missile strike on the warship — which Moscow has disputed — was accurate, according to a source familiar with the intelligence.

• Plus1 1