Russia

1 hour ago, nic said:

I have been seeing articles on Russia stopping with what it has under control. ...???....maybe take the Kherson region in the east and claim 'success'. This is just speculation at this point. 

Russia has signaled intent to end 'current phase' of invasion, cut losses with Kherson referendum: expert | Fox News

Russia withdrawing troops after 'heavy losses', proving 'inability to capture key Ukrainian cities,' UK says | Fox News

If they try that, keep feeding Ukraine to kick their asses out of everywhere....including Crimea.  Then they can join NATO.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've seen this speculated about here and elsewhere, but maybe there's actually some fire to go along with this smoke?

FSk-ywwXsAEP6Ys?format=jpg&name=orig

It would be interesting if Putin would all of sudden die.

Would the people around him immediately pull out of Ukraine because they know it's a lost cause?  Or, are there enough people around Putin that believe in the invasion that they would continue?

Many times, the people around the dictator are worse than the dictator himself.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they try that, keep feeding Ukraine to kick their asses out of everywhere....including Crimea.  Then they can join NATO.

Amen. I would keep going until they leave. The politicians however may let him try and save face....if there is any face left to save.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, nic said:

Amen. I would keep going until they leave. The politicians however may let him try and save face....if there is any face left to save.

It really is a face-saving scenario. At this point there's not a great way for Putin to save face beyond Ukraine agreeing to never join NATO in return for and end to military hostilities, which Zelensky himself once considered a plausible option. I think the oligarchs and Russian infrastructure will crack before the military could secure Ukraine, and nobody is talking about the nightmare of administering the hostile nation if it surrenders.

If Putin dies.....I'd like to think his successors declare a cease-fire in his honor, and use that for their own-face saving exercise. We could give them a toothless new non-aggression pact to take to their people as a victory over the U.S. I could live with that.