Russia

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Color me a little nervous for next week with Sweden/Finland applying for NATO membership 

Russia is threatening them if they join NATO, but Russia attacked Ukraine when Ukraine didn't join NATO. That makes joining a no-brainer, IMO. I don't think Russia is going to do anything but try to hurt them economically.

• Plus1 1

Ukraine apparently killed/wounded 400 Russians in one battle, although it doesn't even sound like a battle. This is also saying even the popular pro-Russian bloggers are talking about it.

My only fear when it comes to successes like this is Russia won't be able to handle the embarrassment and will start dropping bombs everywhere.

Western military analysts have also pored over the imagery and say the attempted crossing demonstrated a stunning lack of tactical sense.

They have speculated that Russian commanders, desperate to make progress, rushed the operation. Some also suggested that it was a reflection of disorder in the Russian ranks.

Pro-Russian Bloggers React to Reported Donets Military Disaster - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
10 hours ago, teachercd said:

Honestly, it will be amazing to see how/what the USA looks like without that cold war boogeyman anymore.

We've still got China, and they're more than capable of spending us into oblivion like we did the Soviets.

17 hours ago, Decked said:

Color me a little nervous for next week with Sweden/Finland applying for NATO membership

Meh, we've learned now that they're all bluster in terms of a conventional fighting force. The only actual threat they have is nukes (and probably not as many as they say they have).

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

My only fear when it comes to successes like this is Russia won't be able to handle the embarrassment and will start dropping bombs everywhere.

I have a feeling Putin is going to be defenestrated in the coming months. Barring some miraculous turn of events in the conventional battle, the Russians are not only going to lose this war, they're going to lose whatever territory they acquired in 2014. 

It would be a historic blunder to use nukes, because at that point NATO will respond and that response will be swift and decisive. If the Russian nuclear force is anything like their conventional army, they won't have the capability of responding. Plus it will give America a chance to test out its nifty ICBM defensive systems. It will be bloody, but brief and catastrophic for Russia. 

If nukes aren't an option, and they can't win a conventional land war against a (perceived) much weaker country like Ukraine, imagine what a large, fully-equipped and trained NATO force could do to them. It could make Napoleon and Hitler look like a boy scout hike in the woods. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

Interesting article. The first thing Russia goes after is education of the kids.They did this in Crimea. Reeducation.  I guess this is the playbook of systems that cannot survive on their own merits.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/europe/russia-ukraine-education-intl-cmd/index.html

Is "Russification" sort of like a country that demands only patriotic things be taught to their students and the state banning books?

• Plus1 7