Russia

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is "Russification" sort of like a country that demands only patriotic things be taught to their students and the state banning books?

What country does that? :D Did you think I was hinting at the 1619 Project or Trumpism? Since the Trumpster is supposedly a Russian agent, maybe Russification will be a thing if he runs and wins. ;) 

I guess I should not be surprised. If a Government wants to make a cultural change, it makes sense to go after the kids, push the parents out of the way, rewrite history, put down or erase the current culture, and get rid of the educated. Tiananmen Square still happened. Ask Cambodia what happened them when the Communists took over. In the case of Ukraine, it seems quick...maybe other places are more like the proverbial frog in a slow boil.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, nic said:

What country does that? :D Did you think I was hinting at the 1619 Project or Trumpism? Since the Trumpster is supposedly a Russian agent, maybe Russification will be a thing if he runs and wins. ;) 

I guess I should not be surprised. If a Government wants to make a cultural change, it makes sense to go after the kids, push the parents out of the way, rewrite history, put down or erase the current culture, and get rid of the educated. Tiananmen Square still happened. Ask Cambodia what happened them when the Communists took over. In the case of Ukraine, it seems quick...maybe other places are more like the proverbial frog in a slow boil.

Governments should teach their students reality. 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Schools should teach kids how the think, not what to think.  Schools have never been meant to be echo chambers.

Yep thats why we all said the pledge every morning. Definitely not an echo there. Truth is schools have always been ground 0 for indoctrination just like the church. Some people see through that indoctrination and others a blinded by it. And thats true regardless of what is being taught. 

10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yep thats why we all said the pledge every morning. Definitely not an echo there. Truth is schools have always been ground 0 for indoctrination just like the church. Some people see through that indoctrination and others a blinded by it. And thats true regardless of what is being taught. 

yep, I recited it every day. 

I know I still probably wasn’t taught all the truths, but in history class, I remember being taught some bad things from our history that didn’t paint America in the brightest light. 

Now, it’s like we can not teach anything negative towards ‘Merica. 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know I still probably wasn’t taught all the truths, but in history class, I remember being taught some bad things from our history that didn’t paint America in the brightest light. 

I remember our middle school teachers actually created a curriculum to teach about African history as it relates to African Americans. They had students in Lincoln Nebraska of all places who felt they knew nothing about where their ancestors came from. So, like the amazing teachers they were they taught about African civilizations and traditions, how those people where captured and brought to America as slaves, and the experiences of slaves. They also taught about Native American history and the horrible things that were done, like the trail of tears. I'd imagine they'd be fired for attempting to create that curriculum now.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ZRod said:

I remember our middle school teachers actually created a curriculum to teach about African history as it relates to African Americans. They had students in Lincoln Nebraska of all places who felt they knew nothing about where their ancestors came from. So, like the amazing teachers they were they taught about African civilizations and tradition and how those people where captured and brought to America as slaves. They also taught about Native American history and the horrible things that were done like the trail of tears. I'd imagine they'd be fired for attention creat that curriculum now.

Can you imagine if someone tried making the movie Roots today?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah, that isn't true at all.

I have taught history for 20 years and not one thing has been "changed" where we can't teach "negative" things about 'Merica in class.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can you imagine if someone tried making the movie Roots today?

The new roots mini-series just came out a few years ago and it was really good.

• Plus1 1

You people have teachers right here on this site...why not just ask them what goes on??

Good lord.  If one of you was a car fixer person (I don't know much about cars) I would ask you about that stuff instead of just saying that the Johnson Rod needs to be replaced. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

They also taught about Native American history and the horrible things that were done, like the trail of tears. I'd imagine they'd be fired for attempting to create that curriculum now.

I saw yesterday that the governor of Oklahoma "warned" Native Americans not to create "abortion havens" on their reservations.

Quite the hubris to even sniff that statement.