Russia

1 minute ago, commando said:

there is some speculation that the russians are giving the t-62's to the breakaway oblasts so they can recall their t-72's and newer tanks to regroup the russian BTG's

That makes sense, like in WWII, when the guy had to pick up the rifle of the guy killed in front of him. 

If I was a Russian tank crewman, I wouldn't feel overly safe in anything they put me in...

11 minutes ago, walksalone said:

One of the problems with the newer soviet tanks is that they have autoloaders so they technically only need a driver, gunner, and a commander.  When they did this they store most of the ammo near the turret, so if it takes a hit, there's a good chance the ammo stores will go up, and say goodnight to hollywood.

They must not have designed them like the Abrahams with blowout panels to prevent the ammunition from popping the top and killing the crew.

3 minutes ago, walksalone said:

That makes sense, like in WWII, when the guy had to pick up the rifle of the guy killed in front of him. 

If I was a Russian tank crewman, I wouldn't feel overly safe in anything they put me in...

Who the f#&% are you?

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

They must not have designed them like the Abrahams with blowout panels to prevent the ammunition from popping the top and killing the crew.

Wtf are you?

No they didn't, and they placed the ammo around the ring of the turret, so any solid hit is probably going to shoot the turret up like a jack in the box

ummm, not a russian tank crewman for sure, i'm not dead :D

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

their new t-14 has the blow out doors like the abrahms....but in 7 years of production they have somewhere between 12 and 30 of them.  no one is sure just how many have been built.   supposed to be better than the abrahms in every measurable way according to the stats that they have released but who knows......russia isn't exactly known for being honest.

8 minutes ago, commando said:

their new t-14 has the blow out doors like the abrahms....but in 7 years of production they have somewhere between 12 and 30 of them.  no one is sure just how many have been built.   supposed to be better than the abrahms in every measurable way according to the stats that they have released but who knows......russia isn't exactly known for being honest.

And on top of that, how many exercises have they been run through?  With no actual data in combat situations, i'm not sure how effective they'd really be.

Kinda funny it took them almost 40 years to come up with a tank with blowout panels? lol

9 minutes ago, walksalone said:

And on top of that, how many exercises have they been run through?  With no actual data in combat situations, i'm not sure how effective they'd really be.

Kinda funny it took them almost 40 years to come up with a tank with blowout panels? lol

I'd imagine the panels also allows a greater possibility for the hull to be refurbed and reintroduce into combat since you didn't lose the turret or damage the mating features between hull and turret.

The Russian mindset is out dated, and definitely not about efficiency or total economy. It seems to be purely a numbers game to them. Overwhelm the enemy with sheer volume. But that doesn't work in today's surgical conflicts.

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'd imagine the panels also allows a greater possibility for the hull to be refurbed and reintroduce into combat since you didn't lose the turret or damage the mating features between hull and turret.

The Russian mindset is out dated, and definitely not about efficiency or total economy. It seems to be purely a numbers game to them. Overwhelm the enemy with sheer volume. But that doesn't work in today's surgical conflicts.

That was what I was thinking, but the way they make, as you stated, the quality isn't as important as quantity, so I think they're not overly concerned with refurbs.

They can flood the field with dozens or hundreds of these relics. All the Ukrainians have to do is fly a switchblade into them and poof! no more ancient tank.

This is at best a band-aid, and at worst a huge waste of resources. But for the most part this shows just how desperate the Russians are. Are we nearing a turning point in this war? Are the Russians going on the defensive?

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They can flood the field with dozens or hundreds of these relics. All the Ukrainians have to do is fly a switchblade into them and poof! no more ancient tank.

This is at best a band-aid, and at worst a huge waste of resources. But for the most part this shows just how desperate the Russians are. Are we nearing a turning point in this war? Are the Russians going on the defensive?

What concerns me is that I think Putin's has lost his marbles, and will employ battlefield nukes.  The reason I'm thinking he's not is because he want's the Ukraine back in the good ol' USSR...

• Plus1 1

Just now, walksalone said:

What concerns me is that I think Putin's has lost his marbles, and will employ battlefield nukes.  The reason I'm thinking he's not is because he want's the Ukraine back in the good ol' USSR...

That's a strong possibility. There's a certain infamy involved in using nukes, but I think crazy-pants Putin would see that as a strong-man move. Certainly stronger than getting his a$$ handed to him by a nation 1/4 Russia's size. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, knapplc said:

That's a strong possibility. There's a certain infamy involved in using nukes, but I think crazy-pants Putin would see that as a strong-man move. Certainly stronger than getting his a$$ handed to him by a nation 1/4 Russia's size. 

It is, and that's what's unnerving...

100% he would see it as a strong man move.  But that's treading a slippery slope, considering there are so many smaller countries with nuclear arsenals of their own.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

the hope is that if putin is crazy enough to order nukes.....at least 1 of his generals would be sane enough to put a bullet through putins skull.  

I've been waiting for that to happen for a few months. 

The only problem with that, is that if that does occur, Russia could turn into the wild west, and we could be watching a Tom Clancy novel play out

8 minutes ago, commando said:

the hope is that if putin is crazy enough to order nukes.....at least 1 of his generals would be sane enough to put a bullet through putins skull.  

The problem may be that Putin isn’t allowing anyone that close to him. Have you seen that table where he meets with his advisors? I’m guessing no one, and I mean no one, can get within 200 yards of him especially with a weapon. I’m sure his most trusted top advisor gets strip searched before gaining access to his seat at the table 40 feet away. Putin seems to be extremely paranoid.