Russia

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder if Putin is hoping these guys get slaughtered by Ukraine to garner sympathy? Moving these people halfway across the country to drop them unarmed and unprepared into Ukraine makes zero logistic or strategic sense. 

fwiw...i don't think they are in ukraine.   the snow makes me think somewhere further north in russia

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You do realize that during both the Korean War and Vietnam War, the US conscripted men to go fight, right?

You mean the draft? Yes I know there was a draft. I was talking about the state department warnings to Americans to get out of Russia before they get conscripted into Russia’s army. Are you saying America drafted non US citizens into the military during Nam and Korea? Maybe they did and didn’t realize it. I think I have heard that illegal immigrants might be serving now, but think that is by choice. 

• Plus1 1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:57 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree. If you’re going to be principled enough to turn on your own country….you lose cred if you run off to one worse to protect yourself. 

He didn't turn on his country. He served his country by revealing how the government had turned on its country.

And choosing between either having some modicum of freedom for the second half of your life versus being locked away forever for doing the right thing is an easy choice and the same one you and I would make.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Numbers from the Ukraine MOD, so take them with a grain of salt. 

Fd4lkG9XkAAWzKk?format=jpg&name=orig

If this were accurate then Ukraine has destroyed almost 1/4 of Russia's tanks!

18 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Aw f#&%... As much as I think these guys should be a part of NATO, selfishly, this isn't good for preventing WWIII. This puts a lot of tough pressure on the US and NATO.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, nic said:

You mean the draft? Yes I know there was a draft. I was talking about the state department warnings to Americans to get out of Russia before they get conscripted into Russia’s army. Are you saying America drafted non US citizens into the military during Nam and Korea? Maybe they did and didn’t realize it. I think I have heard that illegal immigrants might be serving now, but think that is by choice. 

I misunderstood. I didn't realize you were talking about Americans in Russia getting conscripted.