Russia

A good article on why the pollyannaish view that negotiating with Putin at this juncture will bear the fruit of peace is misguided.  It won't lead to less deaths.  It will only enable Putin to reset and resume his imperialistic intents to subjugate Ukraine.  

Negotiations cannot end the Russian war against Ukraine; they can only pause it.  The renewed Russian invasion in February 2022 after eight years of deadly “ceasefire” following the first Russian invasions of 2014 demonstrates that Russian President Vladimir Putin will not rest until he has conquered Kyiv.  Ukraine’s resistance to the invasion this year shows that Ukrainians will not easily surrender.  The conflict is unresolvable as long as Putinism rules the Kremlin.  Negotiations won’t change that reality.  They can only create the conditions from which Putin or a Putinist successor will contemplate renewing the attack on Ukraine’s independence. 

7 hours ago, Scarlet said:

A good article on why the pollyannaish view that negotiating with Putin at this juncture will bear the fruit of peace is misguided.  It won't lead to less deaths.  It will only enable Putin to reset and resume his imperialistic intents to subjugate Ukraine.  

Warhawks gonna warhawk.

• 2 weeks later...

I really struggle to understand how anyone could do something like this. Edit: I suppose it was possible she was hit by accident.

"On Sunday afternoon, an elderly woman was killed trying to escape from Russian-occupied territory. She was crossing the river in a small boat with her husband, the Ukrainian authorities said, when Russian troops opened fire on her with a machine gun. It was more grim news in a city that over the past three weeks has changed dramatically­ — for the worse."

5 hours ago, nic said:

Not sure if this posted yet. Prediction for Ukraine to take Crimea by August 2023. Wouldn't that be nice. 

I had no idea the war would go this way when it started. 

Retired Lt. General Predicts When Russia Will Lose Crimea (msn.com)

Russia has started setting up some defensive stuff there. I doubt anyone predicted it. Before Russia invaded I'm guessing Ukraine thought they would have no chance to take any of the territory back and it seemed smart to not provoke anything further. But now; 1) they have nothing to lose 2) they have a lot better equipment because Russia crossed a line and 3) It's pretty clear now Russia is a paper tiger.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Yep, but they aren't going to use a nuke until they've given up completely, if then. IMO nukes just mean Ukraine has to be selective on where they attack within Russia.

The Kremlin conference room wt the long table would be a good place