Russia

8 hours ago, commando said:

the russians have been trying to take bakhmut since december.    they are still trying to take it.  bakhmut is a bit bigger than grand island.    100,000 casualties seems like 1 hell of a price to pay so far

yup. I don't think they will be able to hold it.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Speaking of those casualties...

That is a shocking number if true. I agree that those are unsustainable losses. 

What happens when Ukraine's counteroffensive is successful? Does Russia use tactical nukes?

If that happens NATO should join the war. Another possibility is that’s the straw that break’s the camel’s back and there is a coup. The new leader would probably talk about the horrible mistakes Putin made and withdraw from the war. 

Ukraine’s advantage is they are on their own turf and their men have far more motivation. It muat be easier for them to recruit and even draft men without the pushback. 

Russia only had 3.5x the population of Ukraine, and Ukraine probably has more than 3.5x the number of people who want to fight, and their logistics are easier. They’ve also had training from the west while Russia seems to be using WWI tactics. 

• TBH 1

Do we really think Ukraine tried to attack the Kremlin wt a drone?   Seems to be a stretch for me as it would only provoke

a huge response from Moscow.   Seems to me the risk /reward  was out of balance.  Risk of retaliation and risk of not

succeeding out weighed the possibility of success.  If successful the reward would have been high but also a reason

for escalation.   Seems like a false flag opportunity / operation by the Russians.   But I could be wrong and maybe

Ukraine was sending a message prior to their big offensive. 

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/05/03/russia-says-shot-down-ukrainian-drones-targeting-putin-a81024

A pair of Ukrainian drones attempted to strike at President Vladimir Putin’s residence in the Kremlin overnight, the presidential press service said Wednesday, calling the incident a “terrorist act.”

“Last night, the Kyiv regime made an attempt to strike with unmanned aerial vehicles on the Kremlin residence of the President of the Russian Federation,” the state-run TASS news agency quoted the Kremlin as saying in a statement.

The claim could not be independently verified.

Ukrainian officials have not yet commented on the alleged attempt.

The alleged drone strike attempt comes as Ukraine is expected to launch a significant counteroffensive against Russian forces 14 months into Moscow's offensive.

It also follows a string of reported drone strikes and sabotage incidents inside Russia in the lead-up to May 9, when Russia celebrates the Soviet victory in World War II with a massive military parade on Red Square.

The Kremlin called Wednesday's incident “a planned terrorist act and an attempt on the life of the President of the Russian Federation, carried out on the eve of Victory Day, the May 9 Parade, at which the presence of foreign guests is also planned.”

The Russian side reserves the right to take retaliatory measures where and when it sees fit,” the statement continued.

The drones were shot down by the Russian military and special services, the Kremlin said. Putin, who was not in the building at the time, was unharmed and the incident did not affect his work schedule, it added.

“From the [drone] fragments' fall and the scattering across the territory of the Kremlin, no one was injured, and there was no material damage,” the statement said.

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Do we really think Ukraine tried to attack the Kremlin wt a drone?   Seems to be a stretch for me as it would only provoke

a huge response from Moscow.   Seems to me the risk /reward  was out of balance.  Risk of retaliation and risk of not

succeeding out weighed the possibility of success.  If successful the reward would have been high but also a reason

for escalation.   Seems like a false flag opportunity / operation by the Russians.   But I could be wrong and maybe

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/05/03/russia-says-shot-down-ukrainian-drones-targeting-putin-a81024

Plus....look how small it is.  If Ukraine was really attacking the Kremlin, they would have sent something in that does real damage.

This is Putin trying to salvage support for his pathetic/disgusting war.

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

those were 2 small drones.    not sure ukraine has small drones with that range.       but then in russia  there was also a strike on a oil tank farm and a train was derailed when someone blew up a section of track in the last 24 hours so maybe it was ukraine?   

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Plus....look how small it is.  If Ukraine was really attacking the Kremlin, they would have sent something in that does real damage.

This is Putin trying to salvage support for his pathetic/disgusting war.

Yes, I thought they looked pretty small myself.  

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, I thought they looked pretty small myself.  

Also look at the flight paths. If this wasn't a false flag, the drones would probably attack the building more over just flying above it before exploding by itself. Also the size of the explosion was barely anything. Unless its confirmed differently, this was Putin trying to drum up more support for his war.

4 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Also look at the flight paths. If this wasn't a false flag, the drones would probably attack the building more over just flying above it before exploding by itself. Also the size of the explosion was barely anything. Unless its confirmed differently, this was Putin trying to drum up more support for his war.

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If that happens NATO should join the war. Another possibility is that’s the straw that break’s the camel’s back and there is a coup. The new leader would probably talk about the horrible mistakes Putin made and withdraw from the war. 

Ukraine’s advantage is they are on their own turf and their men have far more motivation. It muat be easier for them to recruit and even draft men without the pushback. 

Russia only had 3.5x the population of Ukraine, and Ukraine probably has more than 3.5x the number of people who want to fight, and their logistics are easier. They’ve also had training from the west while Russia seems to be using WWI tactics. 

Why the hell would we all want to die for Ukraine? No war for us. Supply and train. But good god. One American life is too many to spare for Ukraine. A war between our countries means the end of us. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Decked said:

Why the hell would we all want to die for Ukraine? No war for us. Supply and train. But good god. One American life is too many to spare for Ukraine. A war between our countries means the end of us. 

No, it doesn’t. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

No, it doesn’t. 

A land war is almost surely going to escalate to nuclear if Putin will be outed and more than likely..killed. if there is even a minuscule chance why would you even risk it? Not to mention you’d have 0 public support. We don’t need another Iraq, vietnam, Korea, & or Afghanistan. This is clinical levels of insanity. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Decked said:

A land war is almost surely going to escalate to nuclear if Putin will be outed and more than likely..killed. if there is even a minuscule chance why would you even risk it? Not to mention you’d have 0 public support. We don’t need another Iraq, vietnam, Korea, & or Afghanistan. This is clinical levels of insanity. 

Appeasement didn't work very for Chamberlain and it won't work here. If Putin forces the world to get involved, we have to.

Letting him take Ukraine would be a disaster. He won't stop there, and it will invigorate Russia to support further expanding.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Appeasement didn't work very for Chamberlain and it won't work here. If Putin forces the world to get involved, we have to.

Letting him take Ukraine would be a disaster. He won't stop there, and it will invigorate Russia to support further expanding.

I am very aware that Belarus & Moldova to name a few will be absorbed. Unfortunate but not our fight. What I disagree with it that it will be on a NATO member. Not trying to be rude but as far as I am concerned it is very easy of you to say looking down from an ivory tower if do not fall within draftable age/a male and could be boots on the ground yourself. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1