Russia

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

Your search term was literally "Obama ended the space program" and you actually factually posted that as a response. 

What a time to be alive.

The funny thing is, I remember conservative circles actually celebrating the decision since they felt private companies and the market would be more efficient and lead to better tech development.

• Plus1 2

Sorry to interrupt all of the finger pointing about which president is to blame for everything under the sun.

Where is the balanced approach to this whole mess?  What should the US had done when Hitler started going crazy?  I mean besides ending all of the partisan bickering.  Where should America be on this?

Also, with the reporting from the media, what is really happening inside?  Sometimes I think it is hard to tell.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Sorry to interrupt all of the finger pointing about which president is to blame for everything under the sun.

Where is the balanced approach to this whole mess?  What should the US had done when Hitler started going crazy?  I mean besides ending all of the partisan bickering.  Where should America be on this?

Also, with the reporting from the media, what is really happening inside?  Sometimes I think it is hard to tell.

You seem to be implying we should be doing something different. What would that be?

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You seem to be implying we should be doing something different. What would that be?

I guess I am asking if there is more we should be doing?  It seems like we are not doing enough? 

I was looking through the thread and just reading too much stupid stuff like who ended the space programs and who is responsible for gas prices.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Crusader Husker said:

It seems like we are not doing enough? 

It would be good to know why you think this so we could better answer your questions. Biden's sanctions are bringing Russia's economy to its knees. The training we've given Ukrainian forces have helped them stay in the fight. Russia/Putin thought they would conquer the whole country in two days. They had articles pre-written to celebrate their victory. Here we are two weeks later and Russia has made modest advances into Ukraine, but the Ukrainians are inflicting pretty heavy losses on them.

So much so that Putin just fired a bunch of his generals and placed the top two spies in his intelligence agency under house arrest. He's clearly having to change horses mid-stream, not something you want to do early in a war you started.

All of this is happening without the U.S. firing a single shot, or risking nuclear war.

What else should we be doing?

• Plus1 2

I think that is a good answer.  You seem a little defensive, please don't be.  I am not attacking our current leadership at all.  I just wonder if we are just slowing down what seems inevitable.  I guess I don't currently think the Ukrainians can hold them off.  I hope I am wrong.  I am looking at what the next step may have to be.  I just hope we aren't being just a speed bump...

fwiw...i think i am seeing a change in russian tactics.  i've seen reports that up to 25% of the equipment sent in the original invasion has been destroyed so they have to be changing tactics unless they are extremely stupid.    they have started bringing in tons of drones after seeing how much success the ukrainians were having with them.    i also think they have stopped advancing in order to strengthen their supply lines.  at least that's what i think is why they have greatly slowed their advances.  they are also turning to terror attacks with indiscriminate artillery barrages on cities.    they are trying to clog roads with refuges and trying to break the will of the civilian population.    that is my take from watching things from here in nebraska and what i can see anyway. 

• Thanks 1

The History Vault channel has a pretty interesting biography they did on Putin 2018, if you have access to it. Doesn’t delve into great detail of his youth or early KGB days but does provide a frame of reference for his mindset and how he came to power, acquired great wealth etc.

20 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

https://googlethatforyou.com?q=Obama ended the space program

The policy decision came from the top.  If the policy was to get warplanes to the Ukraine, which may have protected their western airfields, the 'experts' would find the best way to route the one day flight from Poland to UKR.  The only question is  whether Biden is really the top of his own administration.

I’m assuming you think Trump is the real president? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Didn't somebody here say this Russian asset was their dream candidate for 2024? :facepalm:

Fortunately she has zero chance but that doesn't stop her from pushing Putin's disinformation. 

At one time, a very long time ago, I liked her.  

Since then, she’s gone bonkers. 

• Plus1 1

While we can take some comfort that Ukraine military resistance and Western sanctions have slowed Russia and angered Putin, the trajectory remains for Russia to overwhelm a very damaged country and claim it as its own. Putins headaches will enter a second stage, but so will ours. The question of whether we should be doing more isn’t loaded or partisan, it’s on everyone’s minds. 

• Plus1 4