Russia

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

No one here is saying President Biden is the "oil and gas President."

Is this a strawman or are you talking about something else?

Yeah if you can't remember, click back 5 days and see a stream of posts claiming Biden approved more leases than Trump, and rebuttal that explains the context.  It's nothing short of disingenuous arguments as valid as if someone claimed that Trump was a green new deal president. 

6 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Sorry to interrupt all of the finger pointing about which president is to blame for everything under the sun.

Where is the balanced approach to this whole mess?  What should the US had done when Hitler started going crazy?  I mean besides ending all of the partisan bickering.  Where should America be on this?

Also, with the reporting from the media, what is really happening inside?  Sometimes I think it is hard to tell.

FDR et al should have started re-arming right after Hitler annexed Austria.  US could have stuck with the policy neutrality from a much stronger position. 

-  One thing I have noticed from American tv news, the correspondent on the ground in UKR almost always has a British accent.  It is like mentally they are still monitoring their empire. 

-  I read on social media that Russia has replaced @1/3 of their initial invasion force.  The problem is that the backups are much less trained. 

-It took Russia 8 months to reconquer Cechnya (3 months to destroy Grozny) followed by endless terrorism and repeating insurgency.  So I don't believe reports that Putin is panicking because it is taking him half of one month to take a much larger target.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

While we can take some comfort that Ukraine military resistance and Western sanctions have slowed Russia and angered Putin, the trajectory remains for Russia to overwhelm a very damaged country and claim it as its own. Putins headaches will enter a second stage, but so will ours. The question of whether we should be doing more isn’t loaded or partisan, it’s on everyone’s minds. 

Additionally, it is tough to not ask if we could be doing more when we see innocent civilians, women and children being targeted and indiscriminately killed. It’s pretty much a natural human response that isn’t necessarily partisan or political.

• Plus1 1

watching these videos from ukraine makes me wonder if the main battle tanks are going the way of the battle ship?    is russia using their tanks in the wrong way or have drones rendered them as not much more than giant steel coffins?  or are the russian tactics just that bad?

2 hours ago, commando said:

maybe the analysis that russia has lost 25% of it's equipment so far in ukraine is an accurate assessment

I see this report on multiple news outlets. I figured Russia would ask China for economic assistance. I am surprised about the military ask. Although their equipment seems to function like crap. I would think China might want to kick the tires on their military arsenal and see how it does. Biden has said China has been warned not to provide assistance or there will be consequences . This could get interesting.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

While we can take some comfort that Ukraine military resistance and Western sanctions have slowed Russia and angered Putin, the trajectory remains for Russia to overwhelm a very damaged country and claim it as its own. Putins headaches will enter a second stage, but so will ours. The question of whether we should be doing more isn’t loaded or partisan, it’s on everyone’s minds. 

Correct. The only question is what we should be doing. 

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yeah if you can't remember, click back 5 days and see a stream of posts claiming Biden approved more leases than Trump, and rebuttal that explains the context.  It's nothing short of disingenuous arguments as valid as if someone claimed that Trump was a green new deal president. 

FDR et al should have started re-arming right after Hitler annexed Austria.  US could have stuck with the policy neutrality from a much stronger position. 

-  One thing I have noticed from American tv news, the correspondent on the ground in UKR almost always has a British accent.  It is like mentally they are still monitoring their empire. 

-  I read on social media that Russia has replaced @1/3 of their initial invasion force.  The problem is that the backups are much less trained. 

-It took Russia 8 months to reconquer Cechnya (3 months to destroy Grozny) followed by endless terrorism and repeating insurgency.  So I don't believe reports that Putin is panicking because it is taking him half of one month to take a much larger target.  

Wouldn’t it be nice if Trump hadn’t cut production so much in 2020?

When we all know the answer to "what more should we do?" is an escalation that likely leads to World War III, it's logical to see those questions from right-leaning posters as loaded.

Notice no one has an answer to that question. It's tangential criticism, and it does nothing to help the situation. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

When we all know the answer to "what more should we do?" is an escalation that likely leads to World War III, it's logical to see those questions from right-leaning posters as loaded.

Notice no one has an answer to that question. It's tangential criticism, and it does nothing to help the situation. 

I agree that it’s easy to take it as tangential criticism when it comes from posters who have a history of casting aspersions on every step Biden makes and of parroting far right talking points. I know there are not a lot of good options without escalating maybe further than we’d like. But still, I can’t shake the desire to do more for the Ukrainians and more to stop Putin. Take it as you like but I assure you it is in no way a criticism of the current administration from me, and I’m sure that is the case for many others. Some things are not partisan or political nor do all things have to be. I want to do and supply all we can until it is enough or it becomes unavoidable to go even further.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Whatever's said on a Nebraska football messageboard has no bearing on helping or hurting the situation.

Plenty of people just aren't experts or even laymen when it comes to good 21st century foreign policy strategy and geopolitics to know if what we are doing is good, bad, enough, dangerous, foolish, etc. There's always more you can do, and the line of how much and what type of 'more' that leads to nuclear winter isn't abundantly clear, so it's a natural thought process for anyone.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, commando said:

watching these videos from ukraine makes me wonder if the main battle tanks are going the way of the battle ship?    is russia using their tanks in the wrong way or have drones rendered them as not much more than giant steel coffins?  or are the russian tactics just that bad?

If you were invading would you rather be in a T-34 or whatever passes for a Humvee in Russia?

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Whatever's said on a Nebraska football messageboard has no bearing on helping or hurting the situation.

Plenty of people just aren't experts or even laymen when it comes to good 21st century foreign policy strategy and geopolitics to know if what we are doing is good, bad, enough, dangerous, foolish, etc. There's always more you can do, and the line of how much and what type of 'more' that leads to nuclear winter isn't abundantly clear, so it's a natural thought process for anyone.

I doubt the 'experts' know either.

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

If you were invading would you rather be in a T-34 or whatever passes for a Humvee in Russia?

I

t-34?   what year is this?  the russians are using t-72s, t-80s and some t-90s,    most of them are better armored than our abrahms and our hand held anti tank weapons are treating them like soup cans.