Russia

33 minutes ago, nic said:

Wasn’t Gabbard a Dem candidate for President? Maybe she is secretly a Russian spy.

meanwhile Russia is bombing evacuation trains.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-deadly-strike-refugee-train-ukraine-war-kramatorsk-lviv-1687523

And Musk is challenging Putin to fight for Ukraine 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/elon-musk-putin-single-combat-ukraine-russia-responds-little-devil

I think I remember this talking point.  It was weird that many Trump (who many claim has ties/debts to Russia) voters also held Gabbard in high regards.  They seemed to hit on a lot of the same nerves.  It's kind of interesting...

In reality, I don't think Trump or Gabbard are spies.  I think they both are good at talking to people who are frustrated with how our government works.  They are both good at presenting the idea that "Government shouldn't be this hard and it's someone else's fault for making it complicated."  They both also appear to be good at reaching out to fringe internet wackadoodles...

For some voters, that's all they need to hear.  Policies be damned.

• Plus1 1

The reason the Tulsi Gabbard comments are concerning is because intelligence believes Putin is considering using chemical/biological weapons in Ukraine, and his preemptive propaganda move is to accuse Ukraine of harboring chemical labs of its own. Thus, Gabbard would be laying down the exact narrative Putin needs to roil the waters. 

• Plus1 4
On 3/11/2022 at 10:33 AM, JJ Husker said:

It’s brain disease, it really is. These people have been brainwashed and their capabilities for critical thinking removed. There is absolutely no better explanation unless we are to believe they are actual racists and/or Putin supporters. That is likely in some cases but I have to believe the majority have just succumbed to the BS. Sheep indeed.

It also disproportionally impacts the Boomer Generation, who, among other things, addled their brains with drugs in the 1960s, had lead paint, led-contaminated water, and other pollutants that impact cognitive processes. 

It's brain disease, but some of these people may be broken beyond reproach, and it may not be their fault. That's why it's so sad.  

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

It also disproportionally impacts the Boomer Generation, who, among other things, addled their brains with drugs in the 1960s, had lead paint, led-contaminated water, and other pollutants that impact cognitive processes. 

It's brain disease, but some of these people may be broken beyond reproach, and it may not be their fault. That's why it's so sad.  

I disagree. Some of it may have to do with a person’s propensity of being more conservative or older but it is not a generational thing and lead paint, drugs etc. don’t factor into it.  There are plenty of Trumpers in their late 20’s and 30’s. Plenty. Redneck, blue collar, rural and religious are much better indicators.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I disagree. Some of it may have to do with a person’s propensity of being more conservative or older but it is not a generational thing and lead paint, drugs etc. don’t factor into it.  There are plenty of Trumpers in their late 20’s and 30’s. Plenty. Redneck, blue collar, rural and religious are much better indicators.

So, did kids in the 50's and 60's really just sit around eating lead paint chips?  I feel like this has become one of the most amazing "old wives" tales...

Like sitting to close to the TV will hurt your eyes

or 

Drinking caffeine will stunt your growth

Or 

Jerking off too much will make go blind (thank god I had my home row of keys memorized) 

I know lead is bad for you but...eating paint chips??

• Haha 2

By product of 2 way sanctions - potential food shortages.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/oligarch-who-founded-russia-s-largest-fertilizer-and-coal-companies-warns-the-world-faces-food-crisis-without-an-end-to-the-conflict-in-ukraine/ar-AAV2kCU?ocid=entnewsntp

• Soaring fertilizer prices as a result of the conflict may mean a food crisis, the fertilizer tycoon warned.
    • Russia has banned some Russian exports, including fertilizers, amid Western sanctions.
    • Fertilizer prices may also prevent second-largest exporter, the US, from making up global wheat shortfalls.

Talk about treason.  Aiding the enemy as a propogandist is what Carlson seems to do best.  I wonder how all that works with the Trumpian "MAGA" talk. 

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/03/exclusive-kremlin-putin-russia-ukraine-war-memo-tucker-carlson-fox/

Summary article: 

https://www.mediaite.com/news/leaked-memo-from-russian-government-reportedly-instructs-media-to-promote-fox-news-tucker-carlson/

According to a new report, the Russian government is instructing media outlets to use more clips of Fox News host Tucker Carlson criticizing the United States and defending Russia for its war against Ukraine.

Progressive outlet Mother Jones obtained a document called “For Media and Commentators,” which was reportedly part of several memos from Russia’s Department of Information and Telecommunications Support. The memos were provided by “a contributor to a national Russian media outlet who asked not to be identified.”

“It is essential to use as much as possible fragments of broadcasts of the popular Fox News host Tucker Carlson, who sharply criticizes the actions of the United States [and] Nato, their negative role in unleashing the conflict in Ukraine, [and] the defiantly provocative behavior from the leadership of the eastern countries and Nato towards the Russian Federation and towards President Putin, personally,” the memo says, according to a translation by Mother Jones.

It also notes Carlson’s position that “Russia is only protecting its interests and security,” and includes a quote from the Fox News host: “How would the U.S. behave if such a situation developed in neighboring Mexico or Canada?”

Mother Jones provided photos of the documents, along with an outline of which narratives the Russian government is trying to get the media to spread. The memo’s references to Carlson are included a section called “Victory in Information War,” wherein Russian journalists are instructed to push sympathetic coverage of the Kremlin, along with negative coverage of the Ukrainian government.

The article follows previous reports revealing that Carlson has been increasingly featured by Russian media propagandists trying to defend the violent invasion. While Carlson has recently criticized Putin’s invasion, he previously downplayed the threat of war and defended Russia’s aggression.

Last week, Carlson wholeheartedly embraced an unproven conspiracy theory pushed by Russia that Ukraine and the U.S. were developing bioweapons in the eastern European country. The Fox News host even seemed to attack his colleague, Jennifer Griffin, for objecting to that theory.

Russian state media quickly picked up Carlson’s commentary on the bioweapons claim.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The reason the Tulsi Gabbard comments are concerning is because intelligence believes Putin is considering using chemical/biological weapons in Ukraine, and his preemptive propaganda move is to accuse Ukraine of harboring chemical labs of its own. Thus, Gabbard would be laying down the exact narrative Putin needs to roil the waters. 

This is true. I do not believe her comments are treasonous, but if used by Russia to justify using chemical weapons that is obviously bad.  Since the US is not currently at war with Russia I do not think this is aiding the enemy either. That said, giving Russia anything they can use in their propaganda at this point is stupid and a bad look for whoever does it. If it’s malicious and not just stupidity, even worse. 

We also need the media to be watchdogs of our government and hold them accountable. Unfortunately we have cheerleaders and apologists for one side or the other. Since many here’s are up in arms about Tucker, I watched a video of his show for the first time in forever. He certainly seems to have gone down the anti-government conspiracy theory path. If you have proof share it. Throwing out theories to a partisan crowd is going to be harmful.

My other frustration is watching the politicians and their willingness to play politics and be partisan during times they shouldn’t. It always goes back to Ram Emanuel’s comments for me…..never waste a good crisis…

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So, did kids in the 50's and 60's really just sit around eating lead paint chips?  I feel like this has become one of the most amazing "old wives" tales...

Like sitting to close to the TV will hurt your eyes

or 

Drinking caffeine will stunt your growth

Or 

Jerking off too much will make go blind (thank god I had my home row of keys memorized) 

I know lead is bad for you but...eating paint chips??

I’m pReTty SuRE i IngESteD LOts oF pAiNt cHIpS.

• Haha 2