Russia

This is an important thread to read on Putin's plan to hold the world hostage through starvation.  We either allow it to happen by letting Putin control the Black Sea ports and Ukraine or we don't.  If we're going to stop Putin we need to increase our military support of Ukraine or engage Russia directly.  There doesn't seem to be a good choice right now.  I'd give the Ukrainians everything they are asking for even though that cost is going to continue to be a drag in our economy.  If we allow Putin to reconstitute his military, he'll turn his aggression elsewhere after enslaving Ukraine and controlling the Black Sea.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

This is an important thread to read on Putin's plan to hold the world hostage through starvation.  We either allow it to happen by letting Putin control the Black Sea ports and Ukraine or we don't.  If we're going to stop Putin we need to increase our military support of Ukraine or engage Russia directly.  There doesn't seem to be a good choice right now.  I'd give the Ukrainians everything they are asking for even though that cost is going to continue to be a drag in our economy.  If we allow Putin to reconstitute his military, he'll turn his aggression elsewhere after enslaving Ukraine and controlling the Black Sea.  

This isn’t a factor that should sway the U.S. until the major importers of Ukraine show full support of Ukraine. E.g. Turkey is one of the top importers. China is #1 but even so only 6% of their wheat is from Ukraine and China hasn’t historically minded starvation. 

21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This isn’t a factor that should sway the U.S. until the major importers of Ukraine show full support of Ukraine. E.g. Turkey is one of the top importers. China is #1 but even so only 6% of their wheat is from Ukraine and China hasn’t historically minded starvation. 

Shouldn't the U.S. be swayed by this though?  Won't it be a situation where Russia will "export" wheat too those countries that support Russia and not to those that support Ukraine?  Essentially that'll mitigate some of the effects of sanctions.

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

But…but…but….some act like sending Ukraine help is the wrong thing to do.  

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

What????   The world grain market is a little like the world oil market. Whet you take a major producer off the market, it affects the world pricing and supply.   

It would not be good the have Putin in control of all the grain that moves through those ports. 

34 minutes ago, commando said:

ukraine accounts for about 25% of all grain exports annually.    putin wants that.  then he would control much of the worlds grain and oil

Where did you get this #? Ukraine produces 20% of high grade wheat and 7% of wheat overall. I’m not sure on grain. 

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Where did you get this #? Ukraine produces 20% of high grade wheat and 7% of wheat overall. I’m not sure on grain. 

i was going from memory....i might have seen that 20% number and remembered incorrectly that it was 25%.  still.....not a bad amount of grain either way.