Russia

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The only way this is an escalation of the war is if you believe Crimea is officially Russian territory. 

And BTW, way does Russia get to set the rules? - They started it.  They should expect getting hit in their territory - even in Russia itself. 

I can slap you in the face but it against the rules for you to slap me. 

• Plus1 2

So, Putin told the Russians vacationing in Crimea that it was Russian territory and safe. 

They believed him until the ammo dump had a "fire" yesterday that was "totally an accident" and not a strike by the Ukrainians. 

I don't think they believe ol' Vlad anymore. Wonder what these folks are going to tell the neighbors when they get back home to Moscow, Novosibirsk or St. Petersburg. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

KABOOM # 2 IN CRIMEA

Explosions Hit Russian Ammunition Depot in Crimea

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/explosions-hit-russian-ammunition-depot-in-crimea/ar-AA10I0Wh?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=938ac637b1274ca0abcad56850bf91e7

Explosions rocked an ammunition depot in Crimea, prompting the suspension of trains and marking a fresh blow to Moscow’s war effort.

The blasts were set off by Ukrainian saboteurs, according to a senior Ukrainian government official.

Russian officials also blamed sabotage for the explosions at the ammunition dump, at a disused farm near the village of Maiske, which left two people with minor injuries. Authorities on the peninsula, which Russia’s military seized in 2014, evacuated more than 3,000 people from a 3-mile zone around the depot and stopped trains on the nearby train line, which sweeps up from the eastern edge of the peninsula to the Ukrainian mainland.

“Demilitarization in action,” presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak wrote on Twitter.

“The demilitarization operation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine will continue in a precise fashion until the full deoccupation of Ukrainian territories,” Andriy Yermak, head of Ukraine’s presidential administration, wrote on Telegram. “Crimea is Ukraine.”

The Ukrainian government official also said information was being gathered about reports of additional explosions in Crimea, about 50 miles away in Gvardeyskoye.

The explosions underscore Russia’s vulnerabilities as Ukraine seeks to retake territory in its south that Russia occupied in the early stages of the war. Ukraine, which lacks the forces for a head-on assault, has sought to erode Russia’s ability to wage war by targeting ammunition dumps, command posts and bridges, usually with long-range rocket launchers provided by the U.S. Russia has reinforced its military in the south with thousands of troops that were transferred from eastern Ukraine.

Continue reading
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Putin’s on the brink (msn.com)

"In less than six months, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war of choice has had catastrophic consequences — for Russia itself. It has resulted in at least 60,000 Russian casualties, more than the total number of fatalities suffered during the 10-year Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. It has led to a long-term Russian loss of political influence and energy leverage in the West. It has helped resuscitate the NATO alliance, which just a few years ago seemed to be on its last legs. And it has inflicted severe, long-term damage on the Russian economy, effectively erasing all of the gains made since the Soviet Union’s collapse."

"And what has Russia gotten for this? Only a few more slivers of land in Ukraine — land that the Kremlin may not be able to hold for very long."

"Russia’s elites already know this. As the body bags, wounded and discharged soldiers return to Russia, the Russian people are beginning to comprehend it as well. All of which increases Putin’s domestic political vulnerability — and puts him under growing pressure to find some way to declare victory."

44 minutes ago, nic said:

This sounds desperate. Maybe they need to replace the 60k mentioned above.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/putin-offers-16000-reward-honorary-title-russian-women-have-10-children

I'd be watching my back if I was the 1st born.  Russia may want to save money by finding 'ways' :ph34r: not to have to payout the reward for having 10 kids. 

The "Mother Heroine" title comes with certain caveats, such as requiring all children to be alive on the tenth child’s first birthday unless they were killed serving in the military, civic service or a terrorist attack.