Russia

A lot of what these guys describe sounds like the brainwashed GQPers in America. 

Worth a read, but be warned, there are some graphic pictures in the story.

'Honestly, they're all going to die' What Russian soldiers who have already fought in Ukraine think about Putin's mobilization effort

Kirill, contract soldier

If I’m being honest, they’re all going to die there. They'll be mutilated and killed. This isn’t a trained army! I, for example, served [as a contract soldier] for a long time, then chose to go [to the front in Ukraine] myself — and I still found myself unprepared. The very first day, I realized I had made the biggest mistake of my life.

When I decided to go to Ukraine, I was a staunch patriot. I believed there were Nazi formations of some kind there, like the Right Sector, the Aidar [Battalion], the Azov [Battalion]. Plus I’d watched a bunch of [Russian] films like Soltsepyok and Opolchenochka. Plus, all of the Telegram and TV channels were designed to pump [that stuff into] our brains.

But even while we were still being driven across the border in the Ural [truck], I realized that we were the occupiers, we were the fascists. I [...] was sitting in the truck bed, watching the scenes going by. What we were leaving behind. All of those destroyed villages in Kharkiv. I realized we were actually destroying a country. Along with its civilian population.

You’d go through a village and children would run out onto the road and gesture after you: either “smoke” or “eat.” I just couldn’t wrap my head around it. The world was upside down; I felt empty inside. You realize all of your life so far was fiction. A soap bubble.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Scarlet said:

A brief look at the state of the anti-woke, manly man's army the right wingers like Tucker and Ted Cruz want our military modeled after.

I hope our army doesn’t turn into conscripts. The times we look bad are when politicians get involved in the theater decisions or rules of engagement. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is this the big bad Russian military that Republicans want ours to be like because they are so masculine?

i wonder how much equipment Ukraine will capture from these new untrained troops?   Russia is determined to hand even more tanks and armored vehicles over to Ukraine

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is going well.  Ukraine needs to be dropping leaflets to them saying if they surrender, they will be taken care of, given shelter and food.

I wonder if Putin is hoping these guys get slaughtered by Ukraine to garner sympathy? Moving these people halfway across the country to drop them unarmed and unprepared into Ukraine makes zero logistic or strategic sense.