Russia

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trying to figure out the logic here other than giving the U.S. and Europe the middle finger. Is China just trying to prolong the war so they can keep getting cheap energy? Or trying to get out from under tariffs? Speaking of which, not sure why Biden has to review tariffs for 2 years when the decision to add them was probably made in the time it took to compose a tweet.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Trying to figure out the logic here other than giving the U.S. and Europe the middle finger. Is China just trying to prolong the war so they can keep getting cheap energy? Or trying to get out from under tariffs? Speaking of which, not sure why Biden has to review tariffs for 2 years when the decision to add them was probably made in the time it took to compose a tweet.

I think it has to do with they get cheap energy, Russia is a major trade partner for things they sell, they are concerned about their own security with being right by Russia. And, it’s not like they have a great relationship right now with the US.  In the end, their government really doesn’t care about humanity and what is right and wrong. 

And, the whole tariff thing is frustrating. 

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think it has more to with China wanting to maintain what they perceive at the least amount threat near their borders.  That being they'd love to see Putin remain in power even if in a slightly weakened state. 

They don't want him to blow through Ukraine and somehow regain Russia's superpower status.  But what they really don't want is either an even more nationalistic, militaristic regime in Moscow if Putin falls or even worse for China, somehow a Russian democracy come to fruition. 

They also don't want to see the Russian Federation splinter.  So I think they'd love to see a negotiated "peace" where Putin can save face and stay in power by keeping some of the oblasts in eastern Ukraine.  By providing enough military aid to Russia the Chinese might help Putin from getting trounced once the western arms are in place and Ukraine embarks on it's anticipated spring/summer offensive.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think giving the U.S. the middle finger is still a big part of it. 

It's a proxy world war and China wants to remind the West it's still a superpower, whether it cares for the fate of Ukraine or not.

It's a lot of Junior High s#!t, except for the billions of misspent dollars and thousand of needless lost lives. Which, now that I think about it, is still Junior High s#!t. 

• Plus1 1