Russia

10 hours ago, commando said:

Bakhmut has been falling for 9 months now.   russia has been gaining but it has been extremely slow and costly.

5-1 kill ratio and a trillion pieces of equipment which is much more valuable. They can’t make new tanks very fast if really at all up to any sort of standard. They do however have a trillion BMPs. Granted, Ukraine is also being depleted on the tank front. But it at least guarantees Poland will not be attacked because of the massive equipment & talent drain. 

13 minutes ago, Decked said:

I know this is war and it is horrible. But I am so interested in seeing how western tanks fare against a modern opponent rather than insurgent warfare. Really a free study for the United States actually. 

Most of the armor we are providing won't even have the latest tech when it comes to upgraded plating and reactive armor. But we'll be able to see what 20 to 30 year old tech would have done against it's counterpart back then (which was probably 20 years old then) :lol:

18 minutes ago, Decked said:

I know this is war and it is horrible. But I am so interested in seeing how western tanks fare against a modern opponent rather than insurgent warfare. Really a free study for the United States actually. 

The majority of the tanks Russia is using are T-72 and T-80 which the U.S. faced in the Iraq War. I'm not really sure what's modern about Russia, especially on the ground.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
9 hours ago, ZRod said:

Most of the armor we are providing won't even have the latest tech when it comes to upgraded plating and reactive armor. But we'll be able to see what 20 to 30 year old tech would have done against it's counterpart back then (which was probably 20 years old then) :lol:

I’m very aware. No depleted uranium armor/shells. The sights/armor are still miles ahead of their stuff. 

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The majority of the tanks Russia is using are T-72 and T-80 which the U.S. faced in the Iraq War. I'm not really sure what's modern about Russia, especially on the ground.

Believe their tanks are still quite an upgrade over the Iraqi army and the “Lion of Babylon” T-72s built in the 80s. Let’s be real though. Russia of today has a lot more missile/offensive capabilities. And a lot more of them to boot in tanks, IFV, helicopters, planes, etc. Maybe not modernized up to western standards (at least tanks/vehicles) or used in their doctrine well but they are still a more capable foe then anything we faced during Desert Storm/Iraqi freedom. 

• Plus1 1

It doesn't sound like Ukraine is getting any Abrams tanks this year. The Sec of the Army said:

None of the options that we’re exploring are weeks or two months. There are longer timelines involved, but I think there are options that are less than two years, less than a year-and-a-half.