Russia

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wow. this here pundit has been credibly quoted by some of our conservative members right here on this very forum. 

Remember when the GOP used to be the strongest voices against Russia? I barely remember anymore.

Seems to me that Russia has the goods on Trump and the cult members must support anything Russia asks.    

Reagan, Bushes, Dole,  McCain, Romney - good men regardless of their politics.  And the GOP has slipped into a position where character no longer matters.

Unspeakable  Ugliness.  

A far cry from Peggy Noonan's book  "When Character Was King".  

2 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

At least Candace Owens gets paid well to be a pot-stirring GOP shill. Some folks here do it for free out of pure ideology.

Ideology/gullibility. Or just a natural propensity to support authoritarianism. 

The Kremlin describes them as "useful idiots" when they work for major information outlets (like Owens).

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Seems to me that Russia has the goods on Trump and the cult members must support anything Russia asks.    

Reagan, Bushes, Dole,  McCain, Romney - good men regardless of their politics.  And the GOP has slipped into a position where character no longer matters.

Unspeakable  Ugliness.  

A far cry from Peggy Noonan's book  "When Character Was King".  

Everyone you cited was still called a racist, some were called xenophobic, some were called homophobic, all were called anti-female, and some were called granny killers by the tolerant left.  Every one of these people of character.   

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Everyone you cited was still called a racist, some were called xenophobic, some were called homophobic, all were called anti-female, and some were called granny killers by the tolerant left.  Every one of these people of character.   

Wackjobs on the far far left have said that about the dems elected as well. Hey- what did the near center- far right call Obama? 

25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I wasn’t actually talking about the far far left.  

In college I had a great friend. We'd often stay at his parents place when we were in town so I go to know his dad really well. His dad was a strong, but rational conservative. We had several great and fun conversations during the Bush years. At one point when I strongly disagreed with the decision to invade Iraq. His dad asked me, do I think Bush hates America. It was odd, but my answer was clearly no. A person does not assume the position of the President of the United States because they hate America. I said he was misguided and wrong on this issue, even if he did think it was in America's best interests. 

Years later we were visiting again and he strongly disagreed with Obama's policies. I returned the question to him. I said, "Years ago, you asked me if I thought Bush hated America. I said no. Do you feel Obama hates America?" He answered yes- that he thought our President hated our country. 

This was my first clear indication that the Republican party was failing and succumbing to fear mongering and demagogy of the very worst in their folds. This was a man, I respected and admired, and called and still do call a friend. A rational individual with contemplative thoughts and an active mind. If he and his fellow Republicans, believed that because the President did not walk lock step with him in ideology, it meant that the President hated this country and was seen as "an enemy," then our democracy was on shacky ground. It's only gotten worse. 

The ability to disagree with someone and still respect them as individuals and recognize their strength of character is a bedrock of our country, perhaps best exemplified by John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. We need more of that in this country, not less. This us vs them crap needs to end. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes, the leftist did.   But I wasn't talking about the lefty loons  - I don't care what they do.  I only care about those who try to speak for my center right positions.  I was comparing those presidents and nominees to our recently retired president. 

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What a traitor to democracy and a nut job who knows nothing about geo-political history & dynamics.  Just cannot believe this guy was president for 4 years. I must have taken  heavy doses of drugs, alcohol:wasted, weed:smokin, pain pills  to have that kind of nightmare.  

Perhaps the Jan 6 committee can find a way to tie Trump's actions then together with Trump's words today.  Of course we all knew he was a power hungry despot want-a-be who admired those with absolute power.  No surprise he sides with Russia against Democracy in Ukraine and all of his followers will high step in line behind him as we have already seen. 

• Plus1 2