Russia

She shouldn’t be talking trash on Biden in that type of statement but in the world can someone think her statement gives aid and comfort to Putin? :facepalm:  maybe they just don’t actually read it.  It being the part where she says Putin is a gutless, bloodthirsty, dictator, war criminal, deranged thug.  

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Other than that, Foreign Policy is obviously something people don’t look to me for advice on and for good reason.   I try and leave that to experts outside of a few opinions I have from time to time.  

That said, Putin really seems to want the entire country of Ukraine back eventually, other Eastern Blocs probably next.   I asked before, so why now?  He did this in 2014 and now 2022, but not in between.  What’s different for him? 

Not as much difference as we might think. Putin invaded Crimea and there were few consequences beyond global fist-shaking and condemnation. During the Trump administration, Putin was able achieve quite a bit without firing a short (that's from the experts, not me).  Now Putin's going after the big prize, hoping the world will respond as it has for the 20 years of his rule. i.e. sanctions that he's equipped to survive. 

In between 2014 and 2022, Putin did help foster a more divided America and weakened NATO, and I'm sure he hopes the Putin apologists who are transforming America's GOP will make his life easier. I mean, what Soviet leader would have dared dream American conservatives would go pro-Russia? 

And for the record, Donald Trump's response to Russia's engagement in Syria seemed like it could have been scripted by Putin himself.

• Plus1 5

I too am curious to know what the president should have done better here or how this response has been weak or incorrect. Seems to me we took the rational, level-headed approach and exhausted every approach short of sending boots on the ground to prevent this outcome... while preparing contingencies because of course no one trusted Putin or believed he truly wanted diplomacy.

Now they're getting ready to swing the biggest hammer we can while not directly sending our forces to join the fighting. 

Bear in mind, sheparding the entirety of the Western order against this isn't some easy task. But it is the correct approach. Putin's plans buckle when there is unity of opposition. 

Should we have sent troops? I'd argue most people would say no. The b!^@hing would have been monumental. Bush tried that and we got Afhanistan and Iraq. We just finally got out of one of those after 20 years. 

Should he direct some mean tweets Putin's way? Trump's bluster wouldn't have fixed this. Hell he might have very well rolled over and let it happen in spite of his post hoc claims otherwise. 

We really should re-examine what we view as "strong" in our society. Sometimes the quiet, thoughtful, cooperative response is best rather than the impulsive show of force shooting from the hip... alone.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Gotta question your numbers, barth.  That 100% figure you're tossing out makes a handy soapbox itself.

I also don't think anyone would characterize the Trump years by Rinos stabbing him in the back. It was pretty much the opposite. That's how we got to this point. 

One of the reasons the American media grilled Trump was his willingness to believe and defend Vladimir Putin, undermine NATO and other things Putin didn't like, and Trump's general fondness for global strongmen and autocrats who didn't have to worry about Democratic processes. Take anything wrong or stupid a President ever said, multiply it by10 and repeat it daily -- or hourly -- and that was life under Donald Trump.  We never had a President like Trump before. It became something very different than the previous D vs. R wrangling.

And with all due respect to your 100% of the American Media claim, the #1 television news network and a robust body of internet "journalists" and influencers are fashioning and driving a Ukraine narrative that appeases Donald Trump, a man who envies Putin's pure dictatorial powers and could regain his office with the help of a GOP and propaganda machine that now shares his anti-Democracy activism. Again, that's not your traditional 50/50 American split. It's f#&%ing insane. 

The old rule was that partisan bickering got put on hold when American boots hit the ground. George W. Bush got the benefit of the doubt (and turned out to be horribly wrong). Joe Biden will not. It's a very different world right  now.

It is a soap box - that point i won't deny but its also the narrative of the right so I used it. (i'm a true Libertarian so neither a Dem or Rep)

Before you grill me please know I'm not very political. I stay informed. I do my own research. I take the time to read bills that are intro'd into Nebraska Legislature to be informed and make a decision that I'm comfortable with. I intentionally stay neutral of parties as I believe they divide. I'm Christian and my faith weighs on any view I take. The Christian view is becoming entirely radicalized and imo, that is exactly the destructive nature that will result in absolute mistrust and lies. (yes, one can say Christian Faith is divisive)

I believe all of us are better off when we research and try to stay reasonable with one another.

There are many truths of which are never discussed and unless one actually researches deeply they will never see. For instance Jan 5, 2019 is playing a huge role in today's current issue. Our media here never speaks of it even though it is not propaganda or hypothesis? On Jan 5th, 2019 the Ukrainian Orthodox was granted self-governing status by the head of the Orthodox church in Constantinople. Putin tried to meet Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan to discuss this and was told no. Jan 8th (following day) Putin met with the Greek Prime Minister to prevent the separatist movement by calling a meeting with the Orthodox pontiff. Putin was again met with a closed door. I point this out because very few (if any) readers here know nothing of this very important fact that has and is a thorn in the Russian view.

I understand that there are many lies and truths on both sides so instead of debating the lies (or truths) on an open forum that heavily favors misinformation, either intended or unintended.. why not quietly research and more thoroughly understand the truth as you the individual sees it?

• Plus1 1

This would work!  Think how pissed you get when your internet goes out.

Chris Michael 

Chris Michael

NBC reports that Joe Biden has been given various options for American cyberattacks to disrupt Russia’s military action in Ukraine. According to the news network:

Two US intelligence officials, one Western intelligence official and another person briefed on the matter say no final decisions have been made, but they say U.S. intelligence and military cyber warriors are proposing the use of American cyber weapons on a scale never before contemplated. Among the options: Disrupting internet connectivity across Russia, shutting off electric power, and tampering with railroad switches to hamper Russia’s ability to re-supply its forces, three of the sources said.

“You could do everything from slow the trains down to have them fall off the tracks,” one person briefed on the matter said.

A cyberattack would be something of a turning point for the US, given its cyber efforts have prioritised counterterrorism – mainly information and intelligence gathering – though it did also attack the Iranian nuclear program a little over a decade ago.

Russia and China have used much more extensive cyberattacks against American infrastructure, however, and experts say the US has been quietly preparing to fight fire with fire.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

She shouldn’t be talking trash on Biden in that type of statement but in the world can someone think her statement gives aid and comfort to Putin? :facepalm:  maybe they just don’t actually read it.  It being the part where she says Putin is a gutless, bloodthirsty, dictator, war criminal, deranged thug.  

Honestly, who knows what to think at this point? People like Stefanik are covered no matter what happens next.

Biden and our allies (the people who actually live closer to Russia) in fact are taking swift and far reaching new economic sanctions, not merely against Russia but against the personal assets of Putin associates who will really really hate surrendering their oligarchy perks. You might even consider this strategy brilliant if it came under a different President.

Of course the subtext is still pretty brutal and violent, and the show of strength will inevitably become physical. The minute we send troops to help save Stefanik's innocent Ukrainians, we will be at war. And the narrative becomes "we were never at war with Russia until Biden became President." 

• Plus1 1

this sight is keeping the most graphic stuff out of it's coverage.   i am sure there are some things that are not true as always happens when the fog of war is happening...but i think it does a fairly good job of telling what is happening on the ground there.   lot's of pics and vids of damaged armor but as far as i have noticed no mutilated bodies

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar

5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

It is a soap box - that point i won't deny but its also the narrative of the right so I used it. (i'm a true Libertarian so neither a Dem or Rep)

Before you grill me please know I'm not very political. I stay informed. I do my own research. I take the time to read bills that are intro'd into Nebraska Legislature to be informed and make a decision that I'm comfortable with. I intentionally stay neutral of parties as I believe they divide. I'm Christian and my faith weighs on any view I take. 

The Christian view is becoming entirely radicalized and imo, that is exactly the destructive nature that will result and absolute mistrust and lies.

I believe all of us are better off when we research and try to stay reasonable with one another.

There are many truths of which are never discussed and unless one actually researches deeply they will never see. For instance Jan 5, 2019 is playing a huge role in today's current issue. Our media here never speaks of it even though it is not propaganda or hypothesis? On Jan 5th, 2019 the Ukrainian Orthodox was granted self-governing status by the head of the Orthodox church in Constantinople. Putin tried to meet Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan to discuss this and was told no. Jan 8th (following day) Putin met with the Greek Prime Minister to prevent the separatist movement by calling a meeting with the Orthodox pontiff. Putin was again met with a closed door. I point this out because very few (if any) readers here know nothing of this very important fact that has and is a thorn in the Russian view.

I understand that there are many lies and truths on both sides so instead of debating the lies (or truths) on an open forum that heavily favors misinformation, either intended or unintended.. why not quietly research and more thoroughly understand the truth as you the individual sees it?

This is a good post and I respect you. I would simply point out that I also quietly research in my search for the truth, as do many other posters here. While you may consider the supporting links to come from biased sources, most of the facts are pretty well vetted. 

If you are pulled into politics through your religious faith, that will certainly give you added perspective, as with the Ukrainian Orthodox issue. I do remember that making the news (briefly) back in 2019. But if that's the limit of your interest, it's not a very well-rounded position for claiming a "huge role" in the current situation.