Russia

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm sure it's frustrating that some people can't stop dragging Trump back into every conversation, but he is the #1 GOP candidate by far for the 2024 election, and we need to stop and put a stake in the ground whenever Trump and his loyalists are exposed for being incredibly wrong and dangerous. 

Now you are depressing me. :) I am typically a pessimist, and I felt like Trump was done, until I saw the CPAC vote. I think Trump running again will actually help the Democrats. I do not see him winning, unless he is head to head with Biden and Biden cannot turn things around or he runs against someone who is far left. I base this opinion off the moderate voters I have contact with. They are done with Trump, but disappointed in Biden and Harris and are afraid of some of the far left social policies. At this point, I think the Dems would benefit from a new ticket that is not from the far left of their base. I would like to believe the Republicans would as well. Maybe I am in denial. Can either party nominate a moderate? Clear thinking conservatives have seen what Trump says and should realize that Trump puts himself above country.  That SHOULD turn them off. I think you all can take solace in the fact that Trumps base is not 74  million voters.  To bring this back to Russia/Ukraine, I really think this is an opportunity to unite. Biden should pay attention. He has a golden opportunity here to get back on track. 

7 hours ago, funhusker said:

So are you for troops or not?

Because your post I originally responded to sure seemed like the US and NATO weren’t doing enough.  Troops are pretty much the only thing they haven’t done.

I'm not afraid to say 'I don't know.'. I suspect Putin might back off like Khrushchev did in Cuba at the prospect of real world war, but maybe not.

• Plus1 1

So this is how the world ends:   

Russian's/Putin's  version of Baghdad Bob or Hitler's Joseph Goebbels  is threatening world destruction - Russia taking the world with it in a nuclear holocaust.    

They seem crazy enough to destroy the world if they can't get their world order.  

I hope some sane military guys take control in a coup as they realize that Russia will never win at this game Putin is playing.  Long term they won't win with Ukraine regardless of the short term outcome and they won't win in a nuclear showdown with the USA and Nato contrary to their boasting. 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4789026/putins-propaganda-chief-threatens-west-with-nuclear-destruction/

VLADIMIR Putin's "propaganda chief" has threatened the West with nuclear annihilation during a rambling broadcast on Russian TV.

News anchor Dmitry Kiselyov told viewers across Russia’s 11 time zones that the West would be blown to smithereens with "more than 500 nuclear warheads" if it continued to threat Moscow.

The bonkers threat comes as Putin ordered his nuclear forces be put on high alert and are now "combat ready".

Speaking on national TV, the deranged presenter warned: "Our submarines can shoot more than 500 nuclear warheads.

“This would guarantee destruction of the USA, and all other NATO countries."

Kiselyov appeared to back his argument with the crackpot principle that if Russia wasn't part of the globe then "why do we need the world?"

Continuing his diatribe, Kiselyov threatened: "Russia’s nuclear arms are delivered by the world’s fastest strategic bombers.

"That’s without even mentioning Russian Strategic Missile Forces.

"The Russian nuclear potential is the strongest in the world.

"Today our Russian Nuclear Triad is on the high alert.

"Putin did warn [the West]. Do not try to scare Russia."

In his Vesti Nedeli weekly news show on state-run Rossiya 1 channel, Putin's propaganda chief blamed the UK's foreign secretary Liz Truss for seeking to "intimidate" Russia.

He claimed Putin made the decision of "utmost importance" to put his nuclear forces on alert as the West imposed alleged “illegitimate” sanctions and NATO issued "aggressive statements".

He chided Truss for reportedly saying a conflict between Russia and NATO could emerge from the crescent Ukrainian crisis.

"A conflict between Russia and NATO over Ukraine - nothing like this has been said before," he said.

But Russia’s nuclear capability with new-age "superweapons" like "hypersonic Tsirkon" were more than a match for the West’s capability, he said.

The bizarre tirade forms part of a media offensive from the Kremlin in which it depicts Ukrainian fighters as Nazis and Russian forces as a liberating force.

Dmitry Kiselev, another of the Kremlin's raging TV propagandists, accused German chancellor Olaf Scholz of "solidarity with the genocide of today" - parroting Putin's unfounded claim that Russian speakers in Ukraine were being killed en masse.

On another Russian state TV show, host Olga Skabeyeva said: "You know, as they retreat, the Ukrainian Nazis continue to destroy Donbas. 

"Today Zhelobok was shelled with Grad multiple rocket launchers. Yesterday the Ukrainian Armed Forces launched Tochka ballistic missiles at an oil facility."

The prolonged campaign of misinformation is trying to convince Russians that the conflict was provoked by the West.

The threat came hours after Russia's defence minister said the country's nuclear forces were locked and loaded and ready for combat.

Sergei Shoigu said Russia's Strategic Missile Forces, the Northern and Pacific Fleets, and the long-range aviation command were now ready to annihilate the West in an apocalyptic nuclear war.

Putin put his nuclear forces on high alert on Sunday after warning the West "may face the greatest consequences in history".

27 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is not the mindset of moderates. This is a right-of-center line of thought.

No, I would say the same of moderates around me that did not vote for Trump the second time.  The middle 10% elects the president.  I am not sure who they will vote for.  Economic policies seem to be important to them.

5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

No, I would say the same of moderates around me that did not vote for Trump the second time.  The middle 10% elects the president.  I am not sure who they will vote for.  Economic policies seem to be important to them.

Moderates don't sit around worrying about Kamala Harris.

Moderates don't sit around worrying about "far left policies."

I would suggest the people you think are "moderates" are, in fact, conservatives.

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is not the mindset of moderates. This is a right-of-center line of thought.

This is true. There are probably very few moderates left. Although the people I am thinking voted for Biden in the last election and Trump in 2016.

13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So this is how the world ends:   

Russian's/Putin's  version of Baghdad Bob or Hitler's Joseph Goebbels  is threatening world destruction - Russia taking the world with it in a nuclear holocaust.    

They seem crazy enough to destroy the world if they can't get their world order.  

I hope some sane military guys take control in a coup as they realize that Russia will never win at this game Putin is playing.  Long term they won't win with Ukraine regardless of the short term outcome and they won't win in a nuclear showdown with the USA and Nato contrary to their boasting. 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4789026/putins-propaganda-chief-threatens-west-with-nuclear-destruction/

Based in how things are going for Russia, it almost seems any action with nuclear weapons by russia would end with nuclear weapon discharges over Russia itself with it's own weapons. The eyes of the west are watching russia even closer now. This would end badly for russia and its people.

9 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Based in how things are going for Russia, it almost seems any action with nuclear weapons by russia would end with nuclear weapon discharges over Russia itself with it's own weapons. The eyes of the west are watching russia even closer now. This would end badly for russia and its people.

I agree.  That is why I hope the sane people will rise up and overwhelm the Kremlin with protests and overthrow the dictator.

Russia needs another one of these scenes -  a coup every  30 years seems to be in order for Russia.  

I think a lot of current tank drivers going into Ukraine are doing what this tank driver did 31 years ago - a :facepalm:

Remembering Boris Yeltsin's Finest Moment | Cato at Liberty Blog

I'm almost to the point where the NATO countries and all free countries take on Putin's dare.  Russia is now resorting to cluster bombs against civilians - this is a war crime if confirmed.  It may get much worse as Ukrainians resist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10559373/Ukraine-war-Kyiv-survives-night-Russians-suffer-losses.html

Huge explosions rock Kyiv hours after dozens were killed in Russian CLUSTER BOMBS attack on Kharkiv

• Russians are now using banned cluster munitions against civilian areas, experts and activists have warned 
  • Attack with Grad rockets on shopping centre in Kharkiv today killed dozens and wounded hundreds, Kyiv said 
  • Campaign group Amnesty said similar bombs were used to destroy a school in Okhtyrka, leaving three dead
  • If Russia is confirmed to have used the weapons it could constitute a war crime, amid warnings that Putin is likely to start resorting to using heavier weapons to turn the tide of war 

•  
  • Fire 1