Russia

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

So what did you mean by this?  Did you want less than sanctions?

Sanctions require a lot of time to work, if they work at all, Russia seems to always be under sanctions. They are  ineffective after the war started.  But the media spoke of economic sanctions like they were a military manuever.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Turns out a lot of "Russian" vodka isn't made in Russia.  Stoli is made in Latvia, which hates Russia more than anyone. 

They have pledged their support of Ukraine on their website.

Read the fine print in the liquor store, almost no Russian vodka is there.  

43 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Sanctions require a lot of time to work, if they work at all, Russia seems to always be under sanctions. They are  ineffective after the war started.  But the media spoke of economic sanctions like they were a military manuever.

Heard there was a run on cash at ATMs and banks and that they were running out. Thats pretty darn fast.

7 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If these numbers are accurate, the only strategy that would even make sense is that Putin is intentionally sacrificing soldiers, thinking their deaths will solidify support for the war in Russia. That is the only way any of this makes sense. 

Of course the flip side is that he greatly overestimated Russia's capabilities, and greatly underestimated Ukraine's. 

I'd also posit that his choice of tactics - "drive all the tanks together in groups through big, open areas looking for hidden guys with anti-tank weaponry" maybe wasn't the best choice to begin with.

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The media spoke of economic sanctions like they were the best available option to a military maneuver. 

It's quite possible that Putin underestimated the swiftness and creativity of the economic sanctions, just as he underestimated Ukraine resistance.

If you're a betting man, it's hard to bet against the inevitable fall of Ukraine, but the international response suggests this incursion is different, and will never break Putin's way. 

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

check their stock market and the value of a ruble today compared to before sanctions.  the effects have been harsh and fast.

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I agree that the initial sanctions were weak at best and with China ready to prop them up were not going to do much. Since then the SWIFT banking action and freezing of assets probably hurt pretty quickly. I am not sure these would have even been done if Ukraine didn't start to hold out and gain the support of people world wide. With Tech companies and other organizations piling on it is going to be affective. The longer Ukraine can hold out the worse it gets for Russia. I hope Putin is stable. I am slightly worried about how he may react.

43 minutes ago, commando said:

check their stock market and the value of a ruble today compared to before sanctions.  the effects have been harsh and fast.

I meant for sanctions to work politically and change policy it takes a long time.  The immediate harm to Russia's banking system is not stopping the armored convoy they sent to Kiev.