Russia

12 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

CNN isn't really bothering with that SOTU so I won't either.  

Tell me loyal Ds.  If you are outraged by Putin's invasion of Western Ukraine in 2022 then why wasn't Obama-Biden angry about Putin's invasion of Eastern Ukraine in 2014?  Proportionally you should have been half as mad.  But it got 5 minutes of news coverage,  centered on Obama's complaining about toxic masculinity

What?   CNN isn’t bothering with the SOTU?  I literally watched it on CNN. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if Mit is thinking about running for President again.  He is not the robot he seemed to be years ago and that will play well with voters.

Also, as an (amazing) teacher I can tell you that my HS students are totally captivated by this war and it is thanks to social media and especially Tik Tok

I hope that somebody reasonable is thinking about running. We cannot be left to choose between dumb and dumber again.

Kids today did not experience the cold war the way some of us old farts did. If you didn’t have duck & cover drills in school, you probably aren’t quite old enough. Of course we didn’t have social media providing info directly from the front lines either. Hopefully they realize just how real this is and don’t have some pseudo video game view of things.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Does anyone else wish Vlad had social media just so we could see the amazing troll jobs on him?

there was a massive troll army hitting russian restaurant reviews.....leaving messages like the food was great but putin ruined the atmosphere by invading ukraine and killing innocent civilians....or similar messages.    same with hotel reviews.  those reviews have been turned off now

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I hope that somebody reasonable is thinking about running. We cannot be left to choose between dumb and dumber again.

Kids today did not experience the cold war the way some of us old farts did. If you didn’t have duck & cover drills in school, you probably aren’t quite old enough. Of course we didn’t have social media providing info directly from the front lines either. Hopefully they realize just how real this is and don’t have some pseudo video game view of things.

I'll admit, I was fortunate enough to be in the generation that came just after duck and cover drills were eliminated, and before active shooter drills became necessary. All we had to worry about were fires and tornados. - Good times. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Driving Sweden & Finland into NATO's arms.

Driving Ukraine into the EU.

And now doing the same for Georgia. 

This isn't working out for Vlad, is it?

I can understand some countries flocking to NATO but I’m not sure the EU would help anyone in Ukraine’s position, militarily anyway.

I feel sort of sick inside that we cannot, will not, provide more help than economic sanctions. Our military and Air Force could stop Putin in his tracks if we wanted to. I understand the reasons but I was left feeling extremely empty after Biden’s remarks on it in the SOTU. Have to guess it meant nothing to the Ukrainian people.

There was a Ukrainian rep on the today show this morning. She said the same and was not impressed. She went further to claim that part of the deal for Ukraine giving up their nukes was assurances that they would have NATO like protections. Does anyone know if that is true?  If so, they have to feel extremely betrayed.